Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S or 911?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Stolky is infamous around these parts
Cayman S or 911?

I realize I'm asking this in the Cayman thread, but here goes. I'm on the verge of ordering a Cayman S, but am wondering at the last minute whether I should go with a base 911. Love both bodies. Had a guards red '89 911 years ago, that was my last Porsche.

Aside from the obvious difference in styling and number of seats, what are your opinions on the way they compare driving-wise. Would be a sometimes weekday driver (probably 3 days a week), and occasional weekends in the NorCal twisties.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 AM
crazymikie is infamous around these parts
test drive both and see which you like better.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 AM
John Ferguson has a spectacular aura aboutJohn Ferguson has a spectacular aura about
Owned a base 05 Boxster but wanted more oomph. Drove several 911 variants before making my decision. Probably due to the 911's rearward weight bias, when braking as I would brake my Boxster, I had a tendency to slide the front tires on the 911. Liked the sunroof and extra power of the 911 but preferred mid-engine handling and don't need the useless back seats so ended up with an 07 Cayman S.

As mentioned, drive several of each, and buy the one that gives you the biggest smile.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Would the CS and 997 be purchased new trying to do a fair comparison for you.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by crazymikie
test drive both and see which you like better.
Good suggestion, of course, but you know how it is. Driving a car once, and living with it over time are different. Wanted some input from guys that owned both.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Sleepy996
Would the CS and 997 be purchased new trying to do a fair comparison for you.
Possible I'll buy new, but also entirely possible that I'll pick up an '09 at the auction. I believe that the new Cayman will have a different motor than the '09, no?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
For daily driving duties or if you want to usually carry people/stuff, I would prolly lean towards a 911. The CS fits a ton of stuff in both trunks, but the passenger compartment is definitely tighter than a 911 - I want to stress that I have a CS, love it...it carries a ton of luggage and I have taken it on several 1000 mi + road trips. I am just stating, the the 911 has more room.

With that being said, I bought the CS because I couldn't quite afford a GT3 at that time. The CS, lightly modded, is more fun to me than a "regular" 911. The GT3, Turbo or GT2 are the only 911's I would consider over the CS unless I needed a daily driver.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 PM
P-car Fan is infamous around these parts
unless you're talking about the GT3, GT2, or Turbo, I'd go with the Cayman S
The '11 Cayman S is almost the exact same as the '09 (both gen II), save a few extra standard features (bluetooth, floor mats, aux in audio adapter, etc.)

Old 08-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
The Cayman S is alot of bang for the buck especially if you picked up a 09 at auction. Just my 2cents tho.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
987 Cay S is more fun. 997 C2 is more car. Both are great cars. General driving comfort I'll give a 997 the nod with more room, quieter cabin, leans more towards a Grand Touring sports car. For sheer joy in the canyons, Cay S hands down.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:25 PM
crazymikie is infamous around these parts
You'd have more storage in the Cayman. I'm impressed with just how functional it is. Oh- and it's a blast to drive

Old 08-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Atob is infamous around these parts
when i was shopping around, i looked/drove a boxster S and carrera S cab.
i thought the carrera cab looked too plump, the power was nice, and the handling felt great. but the boxster didn't feel and slower, the handling was extremely nimble, i liked the looks better, and the price was right. the only thing i really liked better with the carrera was the exhaust note.... but i planned on going with an aftermarket exhaust anyhow, so it really didn't matter.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Mannn.....it is just refreshing to hear someone going out to buy something as extravagant as a P-car amidst all of the bad financial news.

Good for you...buy both!!!

Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 PM
rotaz has a spectacular aura aboutrotaz has a spectacular aura aboutrotaz has a spectacular aura about
Like what everyone else said, if you're not getting a GT3 or turbo get the CS.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
matrose73 is infamous around these parts
For the OP -- I think you have to decide what kind of car you want and how you intend to use it.

If you intend to track the car, or take just day trips where you go out to carve up the canyons, then it's the Cayman S.

If, however, you want more of a GT for longer road trips, overnights, or you're looking for a DD, then I would get the 911.

Living in the city, with only a single parking space, I don't have the luxury of having a DD plus my P-car. So, in that regard, my 997.2S is something of a compromise. I also spend a lot of time on the road, and the ****pit feels much more open (though there is plenty of room in the Cayman if you're not too large,) which makes long days in the car much more enjoyable.

When it comes down to it, though, this is a great problem to have, because there is no wrong answer!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman S or 911?