Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had EPL's Headers installed... Love it!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:48 AM
MarcDC is infamous around these parts
Just had EPL's Headers installed... Love it!

So this past Wednesday I drove from DC up to CT to have EPL's race headers installed on my Cayman S. I've been interested in doing this mod for quite some time and have spent a TON of time researching the available options. I already have a plenum, exhaust, EVOMS intake and tune... but wanted to go a little further. After reading up on the available sets, there was one thing that bugged me about most of the options on the market.... they just looked like the stock headers, except with the cats removed and a shiny chrome finish to them.

Enter EPL.

I knew EPL made their name in tuning turbocharged cars, but I also learned they had a set of headers for the Cayman S, but I couldn't find much on the forums about them. After talking with both Tony and Robin, and seeing the pictures of the headers themselves (along with their dyno plots), I decided this was the way to go. They're making serious power with these headers and had the data to back it up.

Rather than rely on EPL's claims, I wanted to get some extensive dyno time in while up there, both before and after the headers were installed. (side note, there were some awesome cars making big power there... 500whp B5 S4s and 997 Turbos putting down well over 600whp... awesome).

I did 3 baseline runs with my car when I got there, and put down 287whp, 288, and 289, consecutively.

I was actually pretty impressed by that, and was hoping that the headers would put me over the 300whp mark.

Once the car cooled down it was time to install my spiffy new headers. First thing to note about these jams is how different they look from the other offerings available. Come to find out, EPL went through 7 or 8 different designs (all dyno tested) before they settled on this specific configuration. They are made by hand and the craftsmanship is amazing, from the welds, to the collector work, these things are serious business.

versus stock... holy drastic difference.

going up on the lift

old headers are off

and the new ones are on... btw the way, the cool thing on our cars is how easy this install is. all they have to do is take off the rear tires and everything is right there.

So how does it sound? LOL.... Honestly, it's unreal. Literally, I felt like I lost my virginity again... it was THAT good. And the power? Oh yea... the engine revs up SO QUICKLY now. You know, that's one of the things I didn't love about throwing a turbocharger on our cars; it just doesn't feel the same after it's installed. Don't get me wrong, the things they are doing over at TPC are totally badass (and they're local to me), but I simply prefer a NA engine over a turbo application. But I digress. You can immediately feel the power difference in the car.

To give you an idea of what it sounds like (sorry, I don't know how to embed video here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX8PGuQMuQ

So after that was out of my system, it was time to get back onto the dyno.
When all was said and done, with no other changes, my car was making 300.2whp, and this was dynoed on a day when it was 84 degrees outside with over 80% humidity. Not only was I hitting over 300whp, but I was picking up over 20whp and 20wtq in certain areas of the power band. Awesome.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. The sound is addictive, the power is significant and immediately noticeable, and the guys at EPL are just simply awesome. If you're at all on the fence about doing this all I can say is stop thinking about it and just do it! I promise you you'll be more than happy with the results. The car sounds like a freakin' race car now and the responsiveness of the engine is just ridiculous.

Boom.

Last edited by MarcDC; 09-03-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 AM
whis9 is infamous around these parts
nice results,have to look into it

Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by whis9
nice results,have to look into it
definitely look into it and give them a call, it's by far the best mod i've done to this car

Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Congrats on this new setup. Nice gain as well! I went with high flow cats instead of cat-less myself. I couldn't be that cruel to mother nature, even though there is no emission control in FL.
Once I install the plenum + TB later this year, I hope to get to around the 300 mark you're seeing.

BTW, Tony is a not only great guy, but also very smart/intelligent. I met him a couple time when I hang out with my CT Audi buddies years. He has earned every bit of his success.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Agreed. Tony really knows his ****... all the guys they have up there are great... Tony, Dave, Robin and Dan.

It was awesome working with them

Old 09-03-2010, 11:34 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MarcDC
So this past Wednesday I drove from DC up to CT to have EPL's race headers installed on my Cayman S.

Sounds like it was well worth the drive!
looks like a cat delete as well?
Sounds awesome, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Sounds like it was well worth the drive!
looks like a cat delete as well?
Sounds awesome, thanks for sharing.
yep, theyre catless

Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts
Thanks Marc! I cut this video together so you can get a better idea of the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exZDUP_9HBQ

We are working on 987.2 DFI headers currently. If any of you are located in the tri-state area, we'll gladly offer a discount if we can use your car for fitment and development. Drop me an email if anyone can help out!

Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Robin@EPL

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now were talking ..That is just smoking hot ..PM SENT

Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Porschepet
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now were talking ..That is just smoking hot ..PM SENT
DOOOOO IIITTTTTTT!!!

You'll love it man!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
Thanks for posting, the sound is amazing. When I go to upgrade I will give them consideration.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 PM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Sounds very very nice!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
can you pm me a price quote? thanks.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 PM
White cayman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MarcDC
So this past Wednesday I drove from DC up to CT to have EPL's race headers installed on my Cayman S. I've been interested in doing this mod for quite some time and have spent a TON of time researching the available options. I already have a plenum, exhaust, EVOMS intake and tune... but wanted to go a little further. After reading up on the available sets, there was one thing that bugged me about most of the options on the market.... they just looked like the stock headers, except with the cats removed and a shiny chrome finish to them.

Enter EPL.

I knew EPL made their name in tuning turbocharged cars, but I also learned they had a set of headers for the Cayman S, but I couldn't find much on the forums about them. After talking with both Tony and Robin, and seeing the pictures of the headers themselves (along with their dyno plots), I decided this was the way to go. They're making serious power with these headers and had the data to back it up.

Rather than rely on EPL's claims, I wanted to get some extensive dyno time in while up there, both before and after the headers were installed. (side note, there were some awesome cars making big power there... 500whp B5 S4s and 997 Turbos putting down well over 600whp... awesome).

I did 3 baseline runs with my car when I got there, and put down 287whp, 288, and 289, consecutively.

I was actually pretty impressed by that, and was hoping that the headers would put me over the 300whp mark.

Once the car cooled down it was time to install my spiffy new headers. First thing to note about these jams is how different they look from the other offerings available. Come to find out, EPL went through 7 or 8 different designs (all dyno tested) before they settled on this specific configuration. They are made by hand and the craftsmanship is amazing, from the welds, to the collector work, these things are serious business.

going up on the lift

old headers are off

and the new ones are on... btw the way, the cool thing on our cars is how easy this install is. all they have to do is take off the rear tires and everything is right there.

So how does it sound? LOL.... Honestly, it's unreal. Literally, I felt like I lost my virginity again... it was THAT good. And the power? Oh yea... the engine revs up SO QUICKLY now. You know, that's one of the things I didn't love about throwing a turbocharger on our cars; it just doesn't feel the same after it's installed. Don't get me wrong, the things they are doing over at TPC are totally badass (and they're local to me), but I simply prefer a NA engine over a turbo application. But I digress. You can immediately feel the power difference in the car.

To give you an idea of what it sounds like (sorry, I don't know how to embed video here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX8PGuQMuQ

So after that was out of my system, it was time to get back onto the dyno.
When all was said and done, with no other changes, my car was making 300.2whp, and this was dynoed on a day when it was 84 degrees outside with over 80% humidity. Not only was I hitting over 300whp, but I was picking up over 20whp and 20wtq in certain areas of the power band. Awesome.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. The sound is addictive, the power is significant and immediately noticeable, and the guys at EPL are just simply awesome. If you're at all on the fence about doing this all I can say is stop thinking about it and just do it! I promise you you'll be more than happy with the results. The car sounds like a freakin' race car now and the responsiveness of the engine is just ridiculous.

Boom.
Wow. Sounds super nice

Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
that second utube clip is out of this world.

completely amazing too bad about loosing a cat though - they test your car up here every few years or whenever sold if it is > 2 years old

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just had EPL's Headers installed... Love it!