Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed IPD Intake Plenum on 986 Boxster...Pics & Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 PM
chaud is infamous around these parts
Installed IPD Intake Plenum on 986 Boxster...Pics & Review

So, I recently installed the IPD intake plenum on my 986 Boxster ('02 2.7L). While the 986 has seemingly always lacked much availability for aftermarket parts compared to what's available for the other models & generations for the other Porsche siblings, this was a mod that I've always wanted to try out.

PART1: Here we go:

Here is the OEM throttle body and plastic T style plenum next to the upgraded larger throttle body and IPD Y style plenum, along with the clamps and silicone reducers.

Smooth Y design of the plenum, rubber sealing O-ring to mate to the larger throttle body.

The Cayman 3.4L IPD plenum is modified for the 986 eGas boxster models.

I believe the modifications for the 986 fitment (compared to stock for the Cayman application) is this larger nipple, and machined back piece.

Here is a comparison of the stock boxster 69mm throttle body next to the upgraded 75mm throttle body. (For simplicity sake, I'll refer to these as 69mm and 75mm, although the actual dimensions measured accurately are more along the lines of 68.xx mm and 74.xx mm). The larger "75mm" throttle body comes on the NA 996 Carreras, 987 Boxster & Cayman, 997TT, 997 NA, etc.

OEM T-pipe removed and new IPD silicone reducers set on the oem intake manifolds.

"Modified" Cayman S IPD silicone hose (cayman hose coupled to another hose via tube for temporary setup)

More to come...

Last edited by chaud; 09-07-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Part 2:

To replace the temporary silicone intake hose setup that used the Cayman hoses mated by an adjoining pipe is the new one piece IPD silicone hose made specifically for the 986 Boxster fitment.

Very nice piece with multi-ply layer silicone... Also decided to change my upgraded larger 996NA throttle body for the same size 997 Variant. Same 75mm throttle body size (74.xx mm), but I liked the color/finish on the later 997 models better. (Yes, OCD pickyness, I Know)

OEM throttle body next to the new larger throttle body. ~6mm Larger inner diameter.

Stock OEM plastic intake piping (from throttle body to MAF tubing & filter box).

Temporary Intake setup with Cayman piping, and misc. couplers/pipes.

New IPD multi-ply layer silicone formed 986 Boxster one piece intake hose pipe with smoother finish, and full ~3" inner diameter all the way through from throttle body to MAF pipe housing, pre-air filter box housing.

As you can see, the new one piece silicone intake hose pipe is pretty nice compared to the other previous setups.

IPD Plenum in place, ready for new throttle body to be bolted back in..

New throttle body in place...

Plenum, throttle body, and intake hose in place. Removed unnecessary bracket below.

Driving impressions to come in part 3...

*UPDATE: Driving impressions and review added below*

Last edited by chaud; 09-12-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor
Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !
We have sold a few of these units already with great customer feed back. We have this kit in stock. PM me for Fall pricing.

Kindest

Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 PM
budmanv24 is infamous around these partsbudmanv24 is infamous around these parts
What other power adder mods have you done to your car?

Old 09-11-2010, 05:25 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
I'd be interested to see dyno results. I wonder by going with a bigger TB you'll lose any low end torque.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Part 3: Driving Impressions & Review...

Parts Added:

IPD Plenum setup for 986 Boxster (modified version of Cayman plenum, see pictures above for explanation), 75mm Porsche throttle body (74.xx mm 996NA/987/997), and new IPD 986 boxster silicone intake hose.

Fit & Finish:

The IPD intake plenum is a very solid and well build piece. It is a cast aluminum plenum, feels lightweight, and has an orange colored smooth inner tract lining. The inner diameters of the 3 openings for the plenum are larger than stock, and the Y design seems incorporated with a well thought out design that doesn't sacrifice overall air volume, as the overall plenum is larger than stock.

The 75mm porsche throttle body bolts straight onto the IPD plenum and is perfect fit. Like stated in my earlier posts, you could use the 996NA throttle body, the 987 Boxster/Cayman TB, and the 997 NA & TT throttle bodies, etc..

The new IPD intake piping silicone hose is a one piece fitment from the throttle body to the oem airbox's MAF tube connection, or in my case, to an aftermarket MAF tubing to a "cold" air intake, or cone filter. This new larger hose replaces the stock intake piping. The fitment of the hose is great, and didn't require any modification for fitment. The hose is a multi-ply silicone hose and feels very solid and sturdy. It is currently attached to the TB and MAF pipe with worm-clamp connectors, but I'll be changing these out for T-Bolt clamps and dual beaded T-bolt clamps (although this is overkill and unnecessary).

Installation:

Just a generalized installation summary, although if anyone would like a full DIY, let me know. Removal & installation is very straightforward and can be done under an hour overall. If you're handy, of course you could get it done in 15-20 minutes for the installation.

1. Put the 986 Boxster top in "service mode" & remove the engine cover
2. Remove the OEM plastic intake piping
3. Remove the OEM throttle body and T-pipe as a single unit
4. Fit the IPD silicone coupler/reducers to the OEM intake manifolds
5. Center the IPD plenum in place between the intake manifolds
6. Install new 75mm throttle body to the plenum.
7. Install the IPD silicone intake hose piping
8. Secure/Tighten all clamps and connectors after adjusting proper fitment.
9. Reset ECU & calibrate throttle body
10. Drive aggressively while the ECU readjusts

* Key Note: Make sure you have a healthy MAF sensor! This is very important either way, whether you are stock or modded.

Driving Impressions & Feel:

While a bit of a skeptic, I always do my homework and research on any mods prior to getting into it. I've read plenty of reviews and talked to many people who already have the IPD plenum who have felt great gains, whether it be via the "butt-dyno" or measured by actual dyno before/after runs. As great as that always sounds, I would never actually know how it would be for my personal car and setup until I tried it myself.

My impressions of the new IPD intake setup: Just getting on the gas at low speeds out of the parking lot or onto the street, I could feel the car just rev up faster and just want to go. That immediately suppressed my fears of the potential to lose some low end torque grunt. Fortunately, it felt more powerful on the low end, revved up faster, and did it all much more smoothly and felt much less restricted in doing so.

Midrange and high end feel great. The car simply pulls harder throughout the entire powerband. The throttle response is quicker, and there is less hesitation to accelerate. The sound is also more aggressive, and overall power delivery is very smooth and linear.

Getting on the freeway onramps and overtaking on the freeway no longer feel like a chore, as the car pulls much stronger than before.

This has been a great mod. In fact, it is probably the most rewarding out of all of my peformance mods thus far.

While I don't have any dyno charts to post (and I sure wish that I had done a before and after dyno run), I can definitely say that I'm very happy with the mod, and that I definitely feel that the car pulls much harder and feels faster.

If I had a choice to do it all over again, I definitely would without any reservation.

Last edited by chaud; 09-13-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 AM
lobo1186 is infamous around these partslobo1186 is infamous around these partslobo1186 is infamous around these parts
very nice setup clean and everything. So how much did everything with the kit cost? Is there any way that you know of to get 75mm intake manifolds?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
chaud

Really nioce article ! Nice pictures and very well done

I am glad to got some benefit from the IPD it sure looks like high quality compared to the porsche parts you took off .

I have seen dynos in ECR with the IPD and they were proven to be solid .
somewhere around 18 to 20HP increase if I am not mistaken .

You going to add some sort of Flash to your car ? and maybe a AM exhaust to bring the whole package together ?

Thanks for taking all the time to post this .I Really enjoyed reading it

Old 09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Porschepet
Really nioce article ! Nice pictures and very well done

I am glad to got some benefit from the IPD it sure looks like high quality compared to the porsche parts you took off .

I have seen dynos in ECR with the IPD and they were proven to be solid .
somewhere around 18 to 20HP increase if I am not mistaken .

You going to add some sort of Flash to your car ? and maybe a AM exhaust to bring the whole package together ?

Thanks for taking all the time to post this .I Really enjoyed reading it
Glad you enjoyed the post! In regards to the flash and AM exhaust that you asked of... got 'em both already... Adding the IPD setup was icing on the cake...

Much more fun to drive now!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by lobo1186
very nice setup clean and everything. So how much did everything with the kit cost? Is there any way that you know of to get 75mm intake manifolds?
Lobo, I'll send you a PM with a link to the IPD website where you can get more info...

In terms of 75mm intake manifolds, that's a good question, and I don't know of any at the moment.

I wonder what size the 996NA and early 987 3.2L Boxster manfolds are and if they'll fit on the 986. I think that the 996NA manifolds *might* fit on, but would be a bit too tall unless you lowered the engine a bit, or had a raised engine cover, but I'm not fully certain on how well it would work and if any other modifications would be required to make that work. And if so, I'm uncertain on all of its runner ID dimensions and if it would be an "upgrade". I'd be curious to know if there are any other OEM manifold upgrades for the 986, as I believe the 987 guys can bolt on the 997S and X51 intake manifolds...

Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Marcos AMV8 is infamous around these parts
Hi guys! I just installed a IPD plenum system on my boxter S 3.2L of 2001. I also installed Design Tek exhaust system, headers, cats and muffler, a Design Tek air induction kit with heat shield and also a Xenum VX500 aditive for the oil. The car goes fantastic, its suposed to gain 22hp for the exhaust system, about 12hp for the plenum, 8 or 10hp for the air intake and about 10hp for the aditive that avoid friction inside, so the car overall gain is about 50hp. I have to dyno it to know the real gain but expected that, 300hp I guess. The car is quite diferent, in lower rpm are similar to standar but when you push full throtle and revs begain to increase the diference is real high and when you are getting over 5500 to 7000 the car feels amazing, feels like having an turbo and the elasticy of the engine looks never end. You have to drive the car for almost 50 km because at first the car isnīt regulated and feels like a fat pregnant cow but after that km it begun to function weel. The sound is real different, the porsche sound dissapear at all, I think the headers do that characteristic sound so if you want to conserv it donīt change headers. Better change first the cats, then muffler and at last headers if you want to gain hp over sound. The sound is not too loud but is a little disturbing if going over 2500 revs at 6 gear but I think that is because is new and I didnīt ride to much with it, anyway looks the sound is changing while using the car so maybe need some time to get the last note. The economy of fuel seems to be important but I will tell you better after a few tanks. In a few days I will recive the NGK Iridium spark plugs and will see if help a little more, lets see Hugs for all!

Old 11-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Marcos AMV8 is infamous around these parts
I forgot to tell you that the clutch smell more easy than before, I think the car is more powerfull and have more torque so the standar clutch must be changed by a reinforced one like the one from Sachs performance. Mine is new so I donīt gonna do that but I canīt imagine whats gonna happen when installing REVO Remap of the ECU :/

Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 PM
ohhh my is a splendid one to beholdohhh my is a splendid one to beholdohhh my is a splendid one to beholdohhh my is a splendid one to beholdohhh my is a splendid one to beholdohhh my is a splendid one to beholdohhh my is a splendid one to behold
I'd be interested in a PM for pricing as well.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 PM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Betim@BBIAutosport
We have sold a few of these units already with great customer feed back. We have this kit in stock. PM me for Fall pricing. Kindest
Why not just post the price?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Lyn
Lyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud of
Chaud,
How did you adapt the secondary air hose with the plastic end to the plenum? Look at picture #12 to see what I'm talking about. The plenum has what looks like a flanged steel rubber hose fitting coming out of it and I'm curious as to how you adapted the plastic end of the air hose to it.
Thx,
Lyn

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Installed IPD Intake Plenum on 986 Boxster...Pics & Review