Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster and Cayman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 AM
arhim22 is infamous around these parts
Boxster and Cayman

What are the main differences between the two? and how do they compare?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
The difference is Women drive Boxsters, Men drive Caymans.

Only kidding guys don't kill me

Last edited by Sleepy996; 12-30-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by arhim22
What are the main differences between the two? and how do they compare?
To state the obvious, Boxster is a convertible.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Airdoc is infamous around these parts
Aside from that obvious point, Caymans were faster and had more power. That is until the Boxter Spyder which is essentiasly a Cayman S in convertible form. The regular Porsche website has alot of the basic information.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
GTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud of
Cayman is for serious driving and tracking. Boxster can do both just about as good plus a lot of fun in open air with the top down. There is a trade off for everything. Just ask the E92 and E93 (including M3) guys and each will tell you why they chose what they chose. I was one of them (had an E93 and had more fun than most).

Old 10-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
arhim22

aside from the boxster being a convertable it comes down to a personal preferance ..The 2 cars are Equal in most of the other catagories .

do you want a convertable or not? what exterior design tickels your fancy more ? for some reason the Cayman has a higher price tag .

Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 AM
harryrcb is infamous around these parts
It pretty much boils down to one thing, do you like convertibles? If so, your boxster can perform just as well as a Cayman, yes you might have to make a view upgrades but nothing that will kill you. BTW that's why a Cayman is priced slightly higher, it has those upgrades that the boxter would need to keep up.
I love my convertible cause its not a dedicated track car (yet) so I drive it everwhere on the streets as well.
Point is- IT'S UP TO YOU

Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Airdoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by harryrcb
your boxster can perform just as well as a Cayman, yes you might have to make a view upgrades but nothing that will kill you. BTW that's why a Cayman is priced slightly higher, it has those upgrades that the boxter would need to keep up.
In the current model year there is only a 10 hp difference between the two, so you are right, it would not take much to catch up at all. I could not find the weights of the cars which would also have an impact. Convertibles are usualy heavier. Does anyone know what the exact difference is that results in the -10hp?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Airdoc
In the current model year there is only a 10 hp difference between the two, so you are right, it would not take much to catch up at all. I could not find the weights of the cars which would also have an impact. Convertibles are usualy heavier. Does anyone know what the exact difference is that results in the -10hp?
The weight would be a factor except there is only 2# difference (2976 C-2978 B), so maybe the weight of the driver..... the Hp I believe is just dme tuning unless someone else can shed a different light on this

ref http://autos.yahoo.com/2010_porsche_boxster_s-specs/
http://autos.yahoo.com/2010_porsche_cayman_s-specs/

Last edited by harryrcb; 10-05-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Grantsfo is infamous around these parts
Headroom

Old 10-05-2010, 04:23 PM
dave4tide is infamous around these parts
Wow, I don't feel the Boxter love here at all. Just for the record, I pass alot of Caymans on the track in my little 280 HP Boxster S. The cars are basically the same except the Boxster is a roadster.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by dave4tide
Wow, I don't feel the Boxter love here at all. Just for the record, I pass alot of Caymans on the track in my little 280 HP Boxster S. The cars are basically the same except the Boxster is a roadster.
I love my Boxster and I too pass most of the Caymans (havent run across one yet that I can't) having said that, I will probably be a target for Caymens at the next DE Haha

Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
haha, funny thread. Same chassis, essentially same motor, different top. Both are great cars.

FYI: I pass a lot of Caymans, 997C2s, GT3s, Turbos, at the track in my lowly 12 yr old stock 2.5 Boxster with 170 RWHP. It's not really a car issue at all, it's a loose nut behind the steering wheel issue

Would I be a lot faster in a new, well sorted BoxS/CayS? Yes I would.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by harryrcb
It pretty much boils down to one thing, do you like convertibles? If so, your boxster can perform just as well as a Cayman, yes you might have to make a view upgrades but nothing that will kill you. BTW that's why a Cayman is priced slightly higher, it has those upgrades that the boxter would need to keep up.
I love my convertible cause its not a dedicated track car (yet) so I drive it everwhere on the streets as well.
Point is- IT'S UP TO YOU
Yup, that just about sums it up....

Woulda been nice if the Cayman came with a moonroof tho...

Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
haha, funny thread. Same chassis, essentially same motor, different top. Both are great cars.

FYI: I pass a lot of Caymans, 997C2s, GT3s, Turbos, at the track in my lowly 12 yr old stock 2.5 Boxster with 170 RWHP. It's not really a car issue at all, it's a loose nut behind the steering wheel issue

Would I be a lot faster in a new, well sorted BoxS/CayS? Yes I would.
I'm with you, I've been told more that a few times by my peers about the looseness of my nut? I pretty much have the same hit list although I apparently have a slightly faster car with 248 RWHP so you might have a little looser nut then me, or better tires , what are you running for tires? I have just graduated to Mich pilot sport cups and I'm thinking when these wear out (which shouldn't be too long) I will look into Hoosier or somethin along that line. BTW, I only have 1 GT3 on my list but it was driven by a "Girl" so I don't know if that counts.
Name:  amygt3.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  188.6 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boxster and Cayman