Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overpriced!!! Frustrated would be buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:00 PM
John Ferguson has a spectacular aura aboutJohn Ferguson has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Nycflip22
Since when do people decide to charge $10,000+ over retail? (especially in this economy)
KBB lists my 2001 Toyota SR5 4X4 V6 Extra Cab with 125K @ $7,830 private party excellent (top 5% of used vehicles) shape ... just got $11K for it, 40% more than KBB lists and it probably wasn't in top 5% condition.

You can't count on getting online sources' pricing on popular vehicles in excellent condition. Unfortunately for buyers, those sources don't have any for sale.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Eprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Rob T
I'd be interested in hearing which one you decide to go with coming from the Lotus as I am.
ah.. was gonna ask you the same thing since I'm gonna sit through the winter and start shopping seriously starting next spring...
well whoever buys first... feedback plz.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Rob T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EpRAnGia
ah.. was gonna ask you the same thing since I'm gonna sit through the winter and start shopping seriously starting next spring...
well whoever buys first... feedback plz.
Deal!

Old 11-28-2010, 04:35 AM
mihink is infamous around these parts
To prove my point of outrageous pricing...here you go:

http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...&pnr_=4&lnr_=5

Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by mihink
To prove my point of outrageous pricing...here you go:

http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...&pnr_=4&lnr_=5
That's obscene! With 44K miles on it too!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:23 PM
cobradoc is infamous around these parts
I went from a 05 Lotus Elise to a 07 Cayman S and most recently to a 05 997 S. Although I never felt the need for more power when I owned the Cayman I have to admit the 997's extra 60 horses really is nice.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by cobradoc
I went from a 05 Lotus Elise to a 07 Cayman S and most recently to a 05 997 S. Although I never felt the need for more power when I owned the Cayman I have to admit the 997's extra 60 horses really is nice.
Interesting. I have a Lotus Exige S, and I test drove a 2007 Carrera S a week ago. While I am looking for something a bit more refined than my Lotus, I found that the Carrera went too far the other way...it felt like a sporty luxury car. I didn't get enough sensory feedback.

By complete contrast, the Spyder was unfrickingbelievable!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:44 PM
cobradoc is infamous around these parts
I don't think you'll ever get into anything that has the sensory feedback of the Elise/Exige short of a go-kart. It was good and bad for me. I loved the handling, but hitting a Houston pothole at speed felt like the car was going to break in two. I do miss it though and will probably get back into another one sometime in the future.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Sorry...I put up the wrong link. Here you go, dealer markup at its best. Insane.

http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...pnr_=1&lnr_=10

Old 11-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't think you'll ever get into anything that has the sensory feedback of the Elise/Exige short of a go-kart. It was good and bad for me. I loved the handling, but hitting a Houston pothole at speed felt like the car was going to break in two. I do miss it though and will probably get back into another one sometime in the future.
I completely agree with you about the hard as rock ride and feeling like the car might break in two when hitting a pothole. In fact, that is the main reason that I am looking for an alternative. Basically I don't get to drive the car much because my wife really doesn't enjoy riding in it at all.

And while I did expect to lose some of that sensory feedback going from the Lotus to the Carrera, I just wasn't expecting it to be *that* much of a loss.

The Spyder wasn't like that at all. Terrific sensory feedback, yet it had a very smooth ride compared to the Lotus. And the handling was....even better!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:47 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mihink
Have been searching for a Cayman (non-S or S) with <30 K miles for about 4-6 weeks now.
Every ad on autotrader/cars.com/craigslist/classifieds on this site has cars that seem WAY overpriced?? What gives? The economy is in the tank and buyers are not going to be bent over for a "luxury" item such as a sportscar especially when people don't have discretionary income!

How can someone (dealer or individual) ask $45K for a minimally optioned '06 CS with 30K miles and out of warranty

I know these cars are wanted, but this is not a Ferrari or some exotic or even a 911 for that matter. Plus the P-car dealers are out of their mind with the asking prices and general attitude.
I am not looking for the deal of the century, but will not get ripped off. Sorry...had to rant
I have been looking at cars for quite some time. I, too, was shocked when I saw the prices GO UP, not down. Excellence buyer's guides confirmed my suspisions that prices were indeed up. In fact, according to their charts, most used 2006 CaymanS increased an average of $2,500-3,000 more this year over what they went for last year.

While no one has give a reason. (I'm not reading thorugh all of the posts in this threat.) I am betting that the increase was due to two factors caused by one man.

First, the bail out of the auto industry (and reduction of any dealership which gave many to the R party!) kept values up across the board.

Second, and most importantly, the Cash for Clunkers resulted in less affordablity for consumers all the way around. As a direct result of the Cash for Clunkers, the cost of the average SUV has since INCREASED by a whopping $5,000!

Finally, I think more people are looking at keeping and maintaining their cars and buying used. There is not as much credit out there, and used cars in America have always been a good value--until recently.

Ulta-finally--get ready for price increases across the board on anything manufactured abraod or at home as "Qualitative Easing" destroys another 20% of the dollar's value in short order.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 AM
^Good points there. I am holding onto my e46 M3 at least for another year and will look for a Cayman next year in the winter

Old 11-29-2010, 01:32 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
the President of our local PCA has been looking at the used market for sometime. I advised him and he concurs that he's going to wait until early spring to buy--we expect many people to let cars go they can no longer afford.

See what the market brings in January and don't buy before February. March & april may be good months to get good deals.

I remember when a dealer in CA sold two Cayman for $35-36,000 NEW! Those were sold within hours. One even had PASM. I caught wind of them too late, however, I did not have the money at the time.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Orlando sold a new one not to long ago for $39k that was starting to get lot rot but those deals are very rare and can sometimes cause more brain damage then they are worth.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Eprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to beholdEprangia is a splendid one to behold
This is one of the big problem for Lotus owners imo... once u drive lotus it it's hard to get into another car... it's too much of pure driving nirvana... hence making hard to choose the next car that's as much fun yet with more refinement, the only problem with the car, but can't ask much to be light and nimble as it is.
I'm gonna go testdrive '06 NA Exige tomorrow because the price is.. hard to pass at 33k used!! I doubt i'll buy it though... but definitely in the future.
Wish I can find a dealer that will let me testdrive Spyder...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Overpriced!!! Frustrated would be buyer