Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS60 DRL & Speedo - Import to Canada

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Bueller20 is infamous around these parts
Question RS60 DRL & Speedo - Import to Canada

Hello all!

I just purchased an RS60 from the US and will be importing it to Canada. As such, us Canadians require daytime running lights and speedo changed to km/h.

I am aware the digital speedo can be changed (anyone have the exact process?), but does anyone have info for DRLs for the RS60 or 987?

I will hoping to have the dealer in the US perform these modifications, but would like a backup plan!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 PM
aln
aln is infamous around these parts
might be useless info but the drls can be activated through your PCM or using a PIWIS tool which your dealer should have. this can be done in canada or in the states.

you can also look for a reputable shop to enable them for you.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the info! I bought it at a Porsche dealer, so their service techs should be familiar with what to do...just wanted to make sure it could be done

Thanks again.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
using the dash control stalk on the steering wheel should let you convert the digital speedo to km with push of a button. you don't need to change the actual face to km.

what colour are the top and interior?

you will like the machine

Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
When we purchased ours, I let the service guys to turn it on at the dealership. We are still waiting for the car to be picked up by intercity lines, where is yours coming from?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, greatly appreciated. I downloaded the owners manual and read how to change the digital speedo. Hopefully the Porsche service techs know how to turn on DRL's

The car has a red interior, black top, 6spd manual, and navigation (I believe I need to buy a Canada Map DVD for it?). I wanted a red top, but RS60's are slim pickings. There is only 1 for sale in Canada (on the east coast), and the price is just ridiculously high. I easily saved $15,000+ by buying an RS 60 stateside. The car has only 4,500 miles, and is certified by the Porsche dealer in Virginia with a clear title. I will be driving it back to Canada next week (lets hope it doesn't snow!!!!!).

This is my second Porsche. I used to have a Guards Red 944 Turbo, but that was stolen when I went to a baseball game back in 2007.

I already booked my plane tickets, and have the title, recall certification letter, and all the other documents I need to cross the border. I will take pics when she is safe in my garage for the winter. I am looking to by a cover for it, as well as the Battery Tender...any thoughts?

Anyways thanks for the info everyone! I look forward to posting pictures.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving to you Yanks

Last edited by Bueller20; 12-03-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:58 AM
aln
aln is infamous around these parts
i went with an oem cover but i heard good things about coverking (?). you may look at ctek (trickle chargers) which is sold at crappy tire for under $50. if not mistaken, ctek chargers are the same ones as the oem porsche ones.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Well I came back on Tuesday from Virginia. I have no words for the car...it is just gorgeous. It is just immaculate. The dealer was incredible with the service and care that they took with the car and everyone was so kind and accommodating. They performed 2 year service the day before I arrived (oil change, brake flush, etc), and had the stamped job management report and other docs all ready to go. I was in and out in 30 minutes.

No issues were encountered at the border (I went through Port Huron/Sarnia). There was a bit of a long wait but everything went smooth. I had all the necessary documentation, and faxed the title over 72 hours in advance with fax confirmation in hand. I entered through Canada, paid my taxes and filled out Form 1. I will call RIV today to have them email me the Inspection Form so I can do that as quickly as possible before the snow arrives.

The only issue I ran into happened about 10 minutes away from my house, on the 401 in Mississauga. A tractor trailer went over a bump on the highway, and for whatever reason, spewed out a crapload of gravel all over the road. The truck was in the left lane , and I was in the right, quite far behind (maybe 300 meters). I slowed down, but couldn't stop too much as I risked getting smashed from behind, and it was near impossible to avoid the mess...it was all over the highway. End result is a couple of nicks and chips on the hood .

I guess Murphy's law applied itself. I am mad, but hey I will have it touched up...that's life. If it didn't get chipped now, it would have been chipped while driving to the MTO to get my plates next week...maybe . The car is utterly beautiful in my garage...

As for the DRL's, my car has NAV (+ PCM) and bi-xenons, and there is an option in the PCM to enable them. Once the inspection is complete I will disable them, as the DRL's are the xenons and I don't want to burn the bulbs and have my lights on during the day. The digital speedo were changed via the information controls on the steering wheel.

Anyways, all in all, I would definitely buy another Porsche from the USA. Pics to come this weekend!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 PM
balpo is infamous around these parts
Congrats on your new car. You may want to get the sport shifter - I like my RS60 so much better with it.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i can't believe you got wacked on the drive home - so frustrating.

i have the nav as well - very few RS60's seem to have it.

FYI - suncoast has a satelite radio unit that can be installed so you can use the PCM for the XM -

get a short shifter from suncoast as well - you will never regret it

Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. I have attached some pics (sorry they are a bit small)..!

I just got her stored for the winter. Hooked up a Battery Tender Plus via cigarette adapter, inflated tires, filled the tank and used stabil, washed and covered, and on top of 1inch Styrofoam with carpet over that..

PS - I tried to order something from Suncoast (front license plate bracket), and the shipping came to be like $270 to Canada!?! What's up with that? I did not order it, that is outrageous.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Bueller20

PS - I tried to order something from Suncoast (front license plate bracket), and the shipping came to be like $270 to Canada!?! What's up with that? I did not order it, that is outrageous.

something wrong there - suncoast in florida? there is one out west with similar name?

i have bought a lot of stuff there and get it fedx or ups - can't remember - anyway, costs are always nominal from my history

buying the car and then storing - man that takes will power!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:47 PM
GTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud of
For spots that are just nicks and no chip on the paint, try one of those paintless dent removal places. They can do wonders.

For spots that the paint actually chipped, try Dr. Colorchip. www.drcolorchip.com.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Cpa4S
something wrong there - suncoast in florida? there is one out west with similar name?

i have bought a lot of stuff there and get it fedx or ups - can't remember - anyway, costs are always nominal from my history

buying the car and then storing - man that takes will power!

Thanks for the input. It was really hard to store it away, but I had fun driving it back...can't wait until I can take her out again..!

Anyways, I calculated shipping from Suncoast Porsche (http://www.suncoastparts.com/) and they amounted to $200+ shipping to Canada for a $30 item. Is there another Suncoast I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Our site isn't ready for Canada yet, if you need assistance, please let us know. We can ship smaller items with the US Postal Service, larger items through UPS. Please contact me if you would like a shipping quote.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RS60 DRL & Speedo - Import to Canada