Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boxster S or cayman S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:42 AM
essayons is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Sleepy996
The AC delete is a option and many of the mods on the Cayman R are ones that most of us with caymans do anyway so its a pre packaged track car from the dealer and they will be limited in #s making resale values higher. I was expecting higher HP #s but with a tune I think it will pack a powerful punch in a small light package. Thats a pretty sweet combo
there's no official word on numbers for either car yet. They may or may not be a limited run.

And how do you think Porsche squeezed the 10 extra hp out of the cayman motor in the first place? It's going to take more than a simple tune to make noticeable power. Right now, looking at used Spyders, the resale is only marginally higher than non-Spyders. Most likely it'll be the same with the R.

OP, the question is a pretty simple one: do you want a convertible or a coupe? Other than that, the cars are the same.

Last edited by essayons; 12-02-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by essayons
there's no official word on numbers for either car yet. They may or may not be a limited run.

And how do you think Porsche squeezed the 10 extra hp out of the cayman motor in the first place? It's going to take more than a simple tune to make noticeable power. Right now, looking at used Spyders, the resale is only marginally higher than non-Spyders. Most likely it'll be the same with the R.

OP, the question is a pretty simple one: do you want a convertible or a coupe? Other than that, the cars are the same.
I disagree. I just don't have any fight in me today and the OP said he can't get the R right now in HK anyway so I am going back to sleep.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:12 PM
fuhrius is infamous around these parts
i'm going through the same process

having owned a 986 s for eight years I can say that the boxster is an amazing car. I've always had a convertible in the 'fleet'...hard to go without one in CA weather. I'm now considering a cayman and while I know there's a performance / safety benefit...it's hard to do away with the feeling / sound of a screaming boxster.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:30 AM
sre94 is infamous around these parts
Definitely the Cayman. It looks a lot cooler

Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 PM
diabolus2k is infamous around these parts
Cayman for sure... looks way better than the Boxster.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 AM
ny911 is infamous around these parts
Cayman S would have a better resale value in HK as we don't have much chance to open the top with bad air and hot weather.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by syaero
I think the issue with HK is not so much the temp or the humidity but it's the air pollution and smog. S. FL's air is much cleaner in comparision.
+1. I hardly pressed the 'fresh air' button all my time there: it was virtually always on recirculate. *That's* how bad the air is in the city. Ppl w/ convertibles there are just asking for it, talk about vanity>risking one's health.

Originally Posted by essayons
And how do you think Porsche squeezed the 10 extra hp out of the cayman motor in the first place? It's going to take more than a simple tune to make noticeable power.
You do realize that these cars are undertuned, right? I'm sure if they were made at full-potential, the 911s would be left in the dust. I totally disagree w/ Porsche's philosophy of intentionally keeping the Boxster/Cayman down just to save its beloved 911.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
I had chose a Boxster S over a Cayman S because I wanted a convertible. If you don't want a droptop go with the Cayman.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nismo-gtr
btw, i was thinking about audi S5 coupe. i really like the V8 exhaust note... amazing.. price is cheaper than boxster S but it seats 4.. but it's not a necessity.
Originally Posted by smshirk
The driving dynamics of either are not really comparable to the Audi. If you are interested in a 4 door V8 you may not be happy with a mid engined 2 seater.
Wait, a 4 door S5?

Or am I missing something?

Old 01-04-2011, 02:24 PM
VUCommodores is infamous around these parts
I like the Cayman a lot more, but then again I am probably biased.