Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boxster S or cayman S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:34 AM
nismo-gtr is infamous around these parts
boxster S or cayman S?

i'm planning to buy my first porsche 2011 boxster S or cayman S in Hong Kong...... want to ask you 6speeders for some valuable inputs for both cars:

1. resale value?
2. what options must get?

update::
- have placed down payment for a boxster S but still has time to change to cayman S........
- got the shift paddle option and the metallic paint option only..

thinking if i should get below options:

- carrera S II wheels $28k
- sport chrono $22k

Last edited by nismo-gtr; 11-30-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 AM
smshirk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nismo-gtr
i'm planning to buy my first porsche 2011 boxster S or cayman S in Hong Kong...... want to ask you 6speeders for some valuable inputs for both cars:

1. resale value?

btw, i was thinking about audi S5 coupe. i really like the V8 exhaust note... amazing.. price is cheaper than boxster S but it seats 4.. but it's not a necessity.

Resale value on Porsches have all been relegated to the same pattern as the majority of mass produced vehicles. I for one am very disappointed with this turn of events. I could sell my 30 year old 911 with similar mileage for about the same price as I sold my 996 for last year. That being said Caymans do appear to hold their value a little better than Boxsters. The driving dynamics of either are not really comparable to the Audi. If you are interested in a 4 door V8 you may not be happy with a mid engined 2 seater.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:53 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Given that you are in HK, I would opt for Cayman S. It will hold up in value as Smshirk said too.

The Porsches will be more nimble than Audi, which is a good thing for HK roads. Handling is crisper too.

As for options, I would consider PDK (since you are in HK), PSE, Bose as starters.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 PM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
perhaps you need to narrow your needs a little more....coupe,ragtop or sedan

Old 11-26-2010, 06:40 PM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
When can you put the top down in HK? With the A/C on perhaps.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:34 PM
GTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud ofGTA Boxster has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ekam
When can you put the top down in HK? With the A/C on perhaps.
LOL! Last few time when I was in HK 99% of the convertibles were driven with their tops up. Makes me wonder why did they buy convertibles to start with.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:24 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GTA Boxster
LOL! Last few time when I was in HK 99% of the convertibles were driven with their tops up. Makes me wonder why did they buy convertibles to start with.
S. FL's climate (temp & humidity) year around is nearly identical to HK - maybe off by couple degrees. That said, there are many convertibles here in S. FL... while many do drive with top up in the summer, some do run with top down (at night) with the AC running. Of course, we enjoy top down driving the most from Sept - April, when everyone up north store their convertibles and mount up snow tires.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:43 AM
syaero is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lithium1330
S. FL's climate (temp & humidity) year around is nearly identical to HK - maybe off by couple degrees. That said, there are many convertibles here in S. FL... while many do drive with top up in the summer, some do run with top down (at night) with the AC running. Of course, we enjoy top down driving the most from Sept - April, when everyone up north store their convertibles and mount up snow tires.
I think the issue with HK is not so much the temp or the humidity but it's the air pollution and smog. S. FL's air is much cleaner in comparision.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nismo-gtr

1. resale value?

btw, i was thinking about audi S5 coupe. i really like the V8 exhaust note... amazing.. price is cheaper than boxster S but it seats 4.. but it's not a necessity.

(D) All of the above: Panamera

Old 11-30-2010, 08:43 AM
do you guys know when will the boxster or cayman facelift again???

Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
I would purchase the Cayman R. They are taking orders now and will have a higher resale value then your other options but will of course cost you a little bit more up front.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Sleepy996
I would purchase the Cayman R.
x2

get the Cayman R.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Eh, what's so cool about the Cayman R? It's got 10hp more and no AC. OP will be toast without AC in HK. All the weight savings from R is from deleting things like AC. There is no innovation and the car still looks the same. It's a marketing ploy.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by djantlive
Eh, what's so cool about the Cayman R? It's got 10hp more and no AC. OP will be toast without AC in HK. All the weight savings from R is from deleting things like AC. There is no innovation and the car still looks the same. It's a marketing ploy.
The AC delete is a option and many of the mods on the Cayman R are ones that most of us with caymans do anyway so its a pre packaged track car from the dealer and they will be limited in #s making resale values higher. I was expecting higher HP #s but with a tune I think it will pack a powerful punch in a small light package. Thats a pretty sweet combo

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
i asked the dealer. the boxster spyder and the caryman R both come with AC in HK LOL.. all sold out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: boxster S or cayman S?