Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPC 550hp kit as good as it gets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
TPC 550hp kit as good as it gets?

I'm thinking of trading in my E92 M3 and moving back to a Porsche. I had a 996TT a few years ago which I thought was a pig, so this time around I'm thinking of a Cayman S. I really want something that's small and light and doesn't have a heavy motor hanging out over it's ***.

I have a good DD so I'll be looking to go a little crazy with this car. Is the TPC Racing 550hp turbo kit about as good as it gets for a CS? Or is there something bigger and badder out there? I guess I also read you can do the 3.8L engine swap and get 575+hp. Man that would be sweet!

Last edited by limitup; 12-08-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
budget ? planned yearly mileage ? good weather weekend only car ? will it ever see a racing track ? track type ? gen 2 donor car without warranty ?dyno queen ?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Definitely no garage queen. Less track time now that I'm all the way down here in San Diego. Basically it would just be my "whenever I felt like driving something sporty" car. Budget is a non issue ... but I generally stop at the point of severely diminishing returns i.e. paying $5k for something that yields an extra 8hp with no other benefits.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Byprodriver is infamous around these parts
How much ya got to spend?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Price is not an issue, but as I said above I will stop when cost outweighs benefits.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
it sounds like you want something to rule the street in your hood....i dont think a 550 hp cayman with no warranty will do it...all i see is a big money pit

Old 12-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Really? How so? 550-600hp Cayman's are incredibly nimble and quick. They are barely 3000 lbs. People have put 10s of 1000s of miles on the TPC racing kits with no problems. What am I missing?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM
My dilemma is that I would really be leaning towards a gen 2 PDK. Do you know what if any plans you guys have for big power upgrades for this, as I understand your turbo kits are only for gen 1 cars and/or no PDK.

Are gen 2 PDKs stuck with basic intake, exhaust and ECU tunes at this point?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by limitup
My dilemma is that I would really be leaning towards a gen 2 PDK. Do you know what if any plans you guys have for big power upgrades for this, as I understand your turbo kits are only for gen 1 cars and/or no PDK.

Are gen 2 PDKs stuck with basic intake, exhaust and ECU tunes at this point?
+1 on that last question...

Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
Considering the money you'll have in the car and the kit, why not go with a GTR? It'll beat just about anything on the track (straight or road course). It's a lot less common than your M3 and even less than the Cayman. When you factor in the money & warranty, you really can't go wrong. Honestly.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Honestly, for me- just for starters the GTR interests me about as much as jock itch. No offense, I just have no gravitational pull towards one whatsoever. There is absolutely NOTHING I like about that car.

If I was looking at sheer cost per HP, I'd get a CTS-V and tweak it a bit and have a US-made monster that would tie the GTR in a bow and stick it on a box for Christmas. But we're talking Caymans here.

I seriously doubt the GTR can out-handle a CaymanS, and I don't care how much HP is under the hood of the GTR. Plus both of these cars are worlds apart in so many ways.

YMMV.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 12-09-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:38 AM
^^^ This. Don't like the GTR at all. Plus it's a pig at around 3800 lbs.

I'd take a 550-600HP Cayman over a GTR any day.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Flat_society is infamous around these parts
If you want a hood car club king stick with the M3 and go with a horsepowerfreaks turbo kit.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 PM
xbar is infamous around these parts
If $ is truly not an issue, why not a GT2RS or a Gallardo Superleggera? Surely, you'd prefer that over the Cayman.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I need a sleeper that won't attract a lot of attention ... no supercars or exotics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPC 550hp kit as good as it gets?