Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power upgrades for 2nd gen PDK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
Power upgrades for 2nd gen PDK?

I'm looking at picking up a CS. I'd love to be able to slap on a TPC turbo kit, but I'm really leaning towards a 2nd gen PDK. What power upgrades are available for a 2nd gen PDK at this point - just basic intake, exhaust and ECU tune?

TPC is supposedly working on a turbo kit for 2nd gens with a manual tranny, but last I heard they don't know what they are going to do for PDKs.

Hmm. Choices choices.

A 6 speed would be fun, of course, but I've really come to love the DCT in my E92 M3 that I'm trading in, and I think I would prefer a CS PDK both in daily driving (traffic, etc.) and on the track.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
Don't forget about headers

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 PM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Tell ya what- I just test-drove a new '11 CS a few weeks ago w/ PDK & paddles. I wish I would have had twice the amt of stick time than I did with it; but not only was I impressed, but amazed with the car in the short time I had behind the wheel.

Any romantic notions about a 6-spd manual and "heel and toe" or making excuses for a "more involved driving experience" went flying out the window. It's PDK for me, hands-down.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 12-09-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm with you. I freakin' love the DCT in my M3, and I hear the PDK is pretty similar. Going to test drive one in the next few days. I was just bummed to learn that TPC doesn't have a turbo kit for 2nd gen PDKs, and it doesn't sound like they will any time soon.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:42 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
Originally Posted by limitup
I'm with you. I freakin' love the DCT in my M3, and I hear the PDK is pretty similar. Going to test drive one in the next few days. I was just bummed to learn that TPC doesn't have a turbo kit for 2nd gen PDKs, and it doesn't sound like they will any time soon.
Then somebody needs to get with it!!! hehehe.

Perhaps the attraction for the gen 1 cars w/ the turbo kit is that they are all pretty much out of factory warranty, or close to it... I dunno. maybe there are some genuine hurdles with gen2 that are tougher to address, Again, I dunno. I wish some of the aftermkt shops would chime in and clue us in about this if they haven't somewhere already.

In other related news, VF Engineering did a one-off for a '06 ( i think) CS four years ago, that was a beautiful Supercharged package. I know they offer SC packages for the 911, but I don't think they developed an official kit for the 986/987's. I didn't see one at their website, anyway.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 AM
I could care less about the warranty situation. A properly setup turbo with the right software shouldn't pose a problem. Worst case scenario a new motor can be had for ~12-15k, not the end of the world. But as far as I know no one has blown their motor running a TPC turbo kit.

The 2nd gen ECU is supposed to be harder to tune, but supposedly TPC is working on a kit for it now that is supposed to be ready in the spring. But only for manual trannies, so the PDK must pose additional challenges ... maybe it just can't take that much extra power I have no idea.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by limitup
I could care less about the warranty situation. A properly setup turbo with the right software shouldn't pose a problem. Worst case scenario a new motor can be had for ~12-15k, not the end of the world. But as far as I know no one has blown their motor running a TPC turbo kit.

The 2nd gen ECU is supposed to be harder to tune, but supposedly TPC is working on a kit for it now that is supposed to be ready in the spring. But only for manual trannies, so the PDK must pose additional challenges ... maybe it just can't take that much extra power I have no idea.
I too, feel that way about the warranty issues. I mean not to be cavalier, but I can't see the TPC system to be irresponsibly designed in the first place. As far as the PDK, they are putting it into Turbo and TurboS models, so I don't think that's an issue, though the clutches may be different and a few other internals. Maybe not. Spring huh? interesting. Hope they already are looking at the PDK as a must-do.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the info, Casey! Very cool. I'm aware of the boost on your system being pretty modest- one reason why I'm not concerned about it. How exciting!! And the pkg on a 997.2 PDK is another aspect I'm interested in, of course, for another part of the forum.

Cool beans!!!!!

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 12-09-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:40 AM
Great news. I emailed Tom and he said something along the lines of "we don't know what we're going to do with the PDKs" so I was kind of bummed, thinking it might not happen.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks Casey. Are you guys worried about overheating problems at all? Many stock PDKs tend to overheat on the track when pushed hard, which people often solve by adding a 3rd radiator up front. But with your intercooled turbo kit there will already be a radiator up front for the intercooler, so do you think overheating will be an issue? If stock cars overheat it seems like adding another 150+hp can only make it worse...