Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone mount for 987

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:21 AM
ccbesq is infamous around these parts
Like you, I don't like listening to the CDR24 FM radio, mostly because the audio quality really sucks. I'm a Pandora Radio junkie anyway, and with the Gateway I can listen to either CDs or Pandora on my iPhone and through the sound system. I also keep my iPod (which I really never use any more, since I got the iPhone) in the glove box - it has over 800 CDs on it.

With what I learned the hard way (and hopefully shared in the article), anyone with average ability should be able to install the Gateway in around 2 hours. I know that BumperPlugs sells the units at a substantial discount (and provides outstanding support), and every so often you'll see one on eBay for cheap (usually being sold by someone who's removed it before turning in a leased car).

The quality of the Gateway is really quite good, especially if you have the Bose system and have stuffed the sub-woofer box (http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/elec...nd-system.html). In my 911 I used an FM modulator, and the quality was terrible (obviously as bad as the FM, or even worse). So while I think it's disgraceful that Porsche didn't provide the iPod/iPhone/MP3 connection with its radios, I think the Gateway is well worth the trouble and cost.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 AM
switchface is infamous around these parts
I agree with everything you said. I used to keep my (very) old 40gb ipod in the s4, but I'm a Pandora junkie as well and would love to access it in the car. I'm assuming with your setup you're hooking your iphone up via the usb cable which would charge your iphone as well, right?

If so, I wouldn't mind snaking the usb cable into the little cubby under the sport button...its usually where I keep my iphone anyway. I stuffed the sub-woofer last week too using the article on P9.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 PM
ccbesq is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by switchface
I agree with everything you said. I used to keep my (very) old 40gb ipod in the s4, but I'm a Pandora junkie as well and would love to access it in the car. I'm assuming with your setup you're hooking your iphone up via the usb cable which would charge your iphone as well, right?

If so, I wouldn't mind snaking the usb cable into the little cubby under the sport button...its usually where I keep my iphone anyway. I stuffed the sub-woofer last week too using the article on P9.
The Dension Gateway 500 kit provides a dedicated iPod/iPhone cable, so the iPod/iPhone is charging while in the car. It also has a separate USB connection and an AUX In box. If you do a search on Planet 9, you'll see that you could bring the cable into the cubby - others have. I chose not to, both because I have the remote for my Valentine radar detector mounted there, and because I was using the ProClip anyway.