Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman makes Top 10 Worst Selling List by Forbes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:21 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Cayman makes Top 10 Worst Selling List by Forbes

I noticed this article referenced today on MotorAuthority and thought it was interesting. I've owned a Boxster S and 911 C2S, but never a Cayman. However, I've had plenty of opportunities to drive Caymans as loaner vehicles and always been very impressed by them. My initial impression is that Cayman sales are down because inventory/production is down. Caymans always seem to be low in inventory at the dealers around here, especially the CS. Not sure if it's a low demand deal or if Porsche is managing the sales impact on the 911.

I also know how passionate Cayman owners are about their cars...and I think that's great. It says a lot about the performance and driving experience to have such an enthusiastic following.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...st-seller-list

http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/03/201...ling-cars.html

Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 PM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Perhaps everyone is looking used... so many great deals out there in the used market...

Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
Yeah I don't get it, must be a production/availability issue. I know I had to search quite a bit and then get lucky to find what I was looking for. Many people "in the know" say the Cayman is the most balanced and overall best platform Porsche has ever developed - it's an incredible driver's car. A little low on power for most enthusiasts, but that's easily fixed.

Obviously the 911 carries the brand though, and I think most people who buy Porsches are going to automatically gravitate towards the 911 just for the "prestige" factor. I had a 996TT and it was actually one of my least favorite cars of the past 5 years. Just too heavy. I can't wait to slap a turbo on my CS - it will be twice the car my 996TT was.

Last edited by limitup; 12-14-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Rob T is infamous around these parts
Interesting. Yet it doesn't seem that Porsche dealers really deal much on MSRP?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i know most buyers are getting cayman s instead of the base model. the price difference is well justified for the extra performance.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 PM
diabolus2k is infamous around these parts
Yeah, production has been low ever since the re-design in '09. Low resale values of the 06-08 model years hasn't helped either..

Old 12-29-2010, 03:02 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
I keep hearing everyone refer to the 996TT as "heavy." Isn't it like 3400 pounds? I suppose that's a bit piggish for a sports car, but still only 100 lbs more than the sedan I drive now.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Interesting, most folks have something to contribute. Good insight.

2009 was the sweet spot for buying used. I've been tracking Caymans for a while--hoping for the prices to drop into the area I can afford one. It seems, according to excellence, that prices for 2006 Cayman variants went UP in 2010 by approximately $2,500 to $3,000 per copy in 2010.

I think this represents more people buying used and general dissatisfaction with Porsche's marketing & development. By hobbling the Cayman series rather than building it up, in order to avoid cannibalism from 911 sales, Cayman sales are dropping!

Furthermore, I think the sales drop reflects accurately a dissatisfaction with the newer styled Cayman.

If Porsche would race the Cayman and support it, and if Porsche would put the workmanship that goes into the 911 series and its variants, Cayman sales would take off like a rocket!

I want a Cayman4S while many folks just want a Cayman Turbo RWD.

But stodgy Porsche AG is not about to change to change course.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
PS the fact that Porsche charges MORE for the coupe than the convertible baffles a lot of people. IMHO Porsche has been pumping as much money out of the Cayman owner as they can get. If the Cayman was price similar to the market and was LESS than the Boxster, IMO it would function more of an introductory car.

But Porsche knows that the Cayman platform is superior to the 911. Porsche knows it has more potential than the 911. AND when the dual trunks, no rear seat, better access to baggage is taken into account, a fully developed Cayman series would stomp the 911 series.

But, fact also is, Porsche makes the 911 "better' than any other of its cars. While the Cayenne and Cayman and Boxster require repairs more often, 911's are built much better. They are far more reliable.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gr8ful
But, fact also is, Porsche makes the 911 "better' than any other of its cars. While the Cayenne and Cayman and Boxster require repairs more often, 911's are built much better. They are far more reliable.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...000-miles.html

Are you sure? FYI the newer boxster-cayman are built in Germany with the 911's now and perhaps that is anothe reason they are on the list. There is also a valid arguement that these cars are driven less and data based on a few miles.

Last edited by gtr; 01-14-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 PM
The newer Boxster/Cayman are built in Germany with 911's is news to me. When did that change occur?

Notwithstanding, I'll hold by my original statement: Porsche puts more into its 911's.

However, I will admit I am working on acquiring a humble 986 at this time. But I am not giving up my Cayenne Turbo. While it spends too much time in the shop, it is a blast to drive, especially in the winter.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Rob T
Interesting. Yet it doesn't seem that Porsche dealers really deal much on MSRP?

Average profit per car is $20,000.

My local dealer charges so much that the vast majority of our Porsches (~300 in Anchorage) were bought outside. In fact, I bought mine from Beverly Hills Porsche and I am negotiating on another from a private party in the south.

BTW, my next Porsche will not be new. I don't want to be tied to my local dealer. And it will not be a CPO. I will not be tied to my local dealer.

I am fortunate to have an independent fellow who does a better job, faster, cheaper and more relaibly than my local stealership. Besides the stealership owner recently lied to me--that's a deal breaker.

So, in the future I will not be buying new and I won't be buying CPO used.

I'll take my chances with aftermarket warrantees or just take care of it myself. But there is no way on hell I am ever buying a car from my local dealer or buying a car that ties me to my local dealer.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by diabolus2k
Yeah, production has been low ever since the re-design in '09. Low resale values of the 06-08 model years hasn't helped either..
Resale has gone up! In 2010 that same 2006 Cayman cost an average of $2,500-3,000 ABOVE what is sold for the year before in 2009. This is good news for owners.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:09 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
No problem here ... less of them on the road is fine with me. It's gotta be one of the best, most well-balanced platforms Porsche has ever developed. With the right mods a Cayman can beat a GT2 around any track for 1/3rd the price. 600hp in a 3000lb mid-engine Porsche? Hard to beat that. The brand ****** and midlife crisis guys can have all the 911s they want!

Last edited by limitup; 01-14-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Rob T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gtr
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...000-miles.html

Are you sure? FYI the newer boxster-cayman are built in Germany with the 911's now and perhaps that is anothe reason they are on the list. There is also a valid arguement that these cars are driven less and data based on a few miles.
You beat me to it, I was going to post that same article in response.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman makes Top 10 Worst Selling List by Forbes