Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention Boxsters and Caymans with Lobster Claws!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Attention Boxsters and Caymans with Lobster Claws!!!!

Fellow Cayman/Boxster Owners,

Forgive me if this is a repost but this is new information to us and we felt compelled to share with you guys.

We just installed a set of Brembo BBK 6 pistons 355x32 on a set of Porsche Lobster Claw style wheels. The calipers just barely fit but with splenty of room to run inner and outer wheel weights. I would highly suggest keeping the inside of the wheel clean once a month so just to keep from the dirt and dust building up and taking up the room left over between the bridge and the wheel barrel.

Here are some pictures for you guys.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Atob is infamous around these parts
sounds dangerous... what happens if someone hit and bent a wheel? i would image the caliper/wheel could get locked up causing quite a bit of damage and creating a dangerous situation for someone behind the wheel. i know it's an outside chance, but still....

Old 12-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Atob
sounds dangerous... what happens if someone hit and bent a wheel? i would image the caliper/wheel could get locked up causing quite a bit of damage and creating a dangerous situation for someone behind the wheel. i know it's an outside chance, but still....

First of all this is very hard to do on the street let a lone a track. Second, if you were to bend your wheel enough to the point where it touches the caliper the wheel would already be cracked before the barrel touches the caliper and in this case I would be more worried about traveling at high speeds and getting an instant flat tire. The worst that could happen if you bend a wheel to the point that its rubbing against the brake caliper it would not stop you from being able to apply the breaks and slow the car down. It simply would rub against the bridge of the caliper where there are now brake fluid vanes. Just meat and it would just remove some paint and material from the caliper and the wheel itself.

If you want, call Brembo directly and ask them what they require for wheel clearance and they will tell you that all you need is a business card thickness.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:27 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
First of all this is very hard to do on the street let a lone a track. Second, if you were to bend your wheel enough to the point where it touches the caliper the wheel would already be cracked before the barrel touches the caliper and in this case I would be more worried about traveling at high speeds and getting an instant flat tire. The worst that could happen if you bend a wheel to the point that its rubbing against the brake caliper it would not stop you from being able to apply the breaks and slow the car down. It simply would rub against the bridge of the caliper where there are now brake fluid vanes. Just meat and it would just remove some paint and material from the caliper and the wheel itself.

If you want, call Brembo directly and ask them what they require for wheel clearance and they will tell you that all you need is a business card thickness.
He's right. I have never seen a wheel bend under lateral load to the point it hits the caliper. Case in point: I did the BBS below on a race prepped Honda used in the One Lap of America. It's so close all I could get between them is two business cards. It never hit ONCE during the entire week's events.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp