Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 cayman S lease end

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 AM
a240reef is infamous around these parts
08 cayman S lease end

Hello all

I've driven an 08 Cayman S for the past 2 years. My lease will be ending soon and I'm looking at new rides. I'm still a young man at 28 and prefer something fast. I just recently purchased my first house, working 9to5, and going to grad school. Single and living out bachelorhood.

I'm looking at e92 M3s DCT, 370z, e85 z4M, and 996s x50. The new 1M looks very interesting.

But all of my friends say that I should just keep my C-S as it just looks ridiculously cool and upgrade to an RS350 for something different.

The car is my daily driver and I've only put about 4200 miles on her in two years.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
How many miles were allowed in your lease? You might be able to buy the car for the agreed upon residual and sell it for more. Then, get something different if you want. What about a Boxster Spyder? I would get that over everything else you listed.

I am in your boat, 27, thru grad school now working and living it up. If I didn't have to contend with winter, I would be trading my CC in for an M3, but instead I will probably go for another S4 as my DD next spring.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
If you want somthing fast for the money you should also consider a used Nissan GTR. I've bought one when they first came out and that car is a beast.

If your're looking at M3 don't forget to check out the benz C63.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
keep it unless you're going to gt3 route..

Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by alex911s
keep it unless you're going to gt3 route..
I can't drive my gt3 on a daily basis as it'll kill me. I love my boxster spyder. If I had a caymans with only 4200 miles, i'd keep and mod it some if I could get a good buy out.

You cannot fins a good late model cayman s, as everybody and their brother wants to buy one, as the mods for spped and trackability are well established.

I just turned 64, and I LOVE TO DIVE ANYTHING FAST.
G

Old 01-10-2011, 02:05 PM
a240reef is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Karrera4
How many miles were allowed in your lease?
My lease was originally at 12k miles a year. My end of lease term price is $37k. For a little more oomph, I'll check out the gtr. 997 gt3 is way above my price range.

My only beef with the cayman is that the seat is really uncomfortable on 2 plus hour drives. I get lower back pain. I imagine it has something to do with my 36inch waist line and six two frame. Do you think a Recaro will solve this problem?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:24 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Sat in the 1 series this weekend because of the 1 M. The car is too narrow and i feel so clustered since my elbow hits the doors. It feels like S2000 width. The spyder or boxter is wider amazingly. Also the door handle is designed stupid all the way in the front where when your seat is back you cannot reach and if you do reach, you have no control over the large door. It makes the door feel heavey and easier to ding other people's cars.

And the Subaru engineers are smart enought to make concave doors to feel like your sitting in a 5 series or something LOL!

If your looking at 370z get the TT-RS or the Cayman R, or wait for the turbo version next year. I love rare cars and i'm predicting the Cayman R will be rare.

I personally hate duel clutch trannys. For regular driving it's horrid. The tranny is stupid and lags because the tranny needs to prepare if your up or down shifting. On the track you can't beat DCT but on the street without traffic jams you can't go wrong with a standrad manual.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:35 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mikegee
I can't drive my gt3 on a daily basis as it'll kill me. I love my boxster spyder. If I had a caymans with only 4200 miles, i'd keep and mod it some if I could get a good buy out.

You cannot fins a good late model cayman s, as everybody and their brother wants to buy one, as the mods for spped and trackability are well established.

I just turned 64, and I LOVE TO DIVE ANYTHING FAST.
G
I felt like 997 gt3 was easier to drive than my 996 turbo with gt2 clutch..lol

but youre right, not for daily...

the 2010's were 25% off before end of the year, but there are some high msrp cars that were on the lot, i almost bought one

Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
we're probably all biased, but I'd keep the CS you already own... check other porsche seats...

I've also found that raising the seat has helped... (I'm built similarly to you)... and I put a Personal Grinta 330mm steering wheel in, so I have more leg room... (feels much better too)

Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 AM
VUCommodores is infamous around these parts
At that price it would be tempting to buy out and TPC turbo it.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by vucommodores
at that price it would be tempting to buy out and tpc turbo it.
+++1

Old 01-15-2011, 12:11 PM
jpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nicejpcourt is just really nice
Originally Posted by VUCommodores
At that price it would be tempting to buy out and TPC turbo it.
Now that sounds like a plan!!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 PM
newtonold is infamous around these parts
i think e92 is a great alternative to the CS if you want a change. e92 won't be as race car" feeling as the CS though. altho the DCT makes up for it. 996s is always a great option. drove the c63 as well, its not as refined as the e92. not a big fan of the other cars mentioned, although GTR sounds tempting. good luck w your decision.