Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed headers today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM
06CaymanS is infamous around these parts
Installed headers today

I hate to say it, but i could not find a dyno to use for a baseline. There are two shops with dynos in my area, but i refuse to use either. One shop ripped my father off for a large sum of money and the guy that runs the other dyno has no idea what he is doing.

Anyway, i installed the headers. Getting to the top bolt on each flange was quite the pain in the ****. Overall, it took me around 4 hours to remove the old manifolds and install the fabspeed headers. I bought these headers used and confirmed that they are indeed fabspeed headers and not the knock offs before installing them. So, what are my thoughts? Well, according to my rear end, there isnt much of a difference. If i had shelled out the 2500.00 for these headers i might be a little upset. The car does seem a little smoother throughout the RPM range, but there isnt any discernible difference in power. And, for the most part the exhaust note sounds the same. Its a little less flappy sounding, but no volume change.
So, that is my take. I plan on adding the borla exhaust in the future, but other than that, I'll probably leave the car alone.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Hey CaymanS. there should have been no problems getting those headers on, its a direct swap out for the stock ones so I'm not sure why there was a problem there. As for the power gains, the headers make the biggest HP improvement on those cars due to the stock headers being much more restrictive. I would try resetting the battery for about 20 minutes and then go for a drive to allow the car to adapt and relearn the idle positioning of the upgraded parts.
thanks,

Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the response! The more i drive it, the more the power seems to increase. I did not have any issues with removing the headers or installing them, i just found it very difficult to access the upper flange bolts on both sets of headers. I had to use a lot of swivel fittings and even then, I barely managed to break the original nuts loose from the studs. The other 4 were not a problem and were easily accessible.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
ok sounds good, yea some of the bolts are hard to reach with the primary tubes being right there. Im glad you like it and let us know if you ever need anything else.
thanks

Old 02-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
06CaymanS

Are your new Headers Catless headers ?
I just got a set of Fabspeed Catless headers installed to go with my Remus Exhaust ,SRP and Softronic 4.1 Flash (just to name a few) and its an amazing difference in sound and the POWER is simply AWSOME ..feels like a bigger motor .Really Impressed

Old 02-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Simon Tibbett is infamous around these parts
How is the difference in sound?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Mine have the catalytic converters. I plan on upgrading the rear exhaust and mufflers in the future.

I had posted a follow up after the initial response, but it looks like it did not post for some reason.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:34 PM
devious986S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Simon Tibbett
How is the difference in sound?
in first post

Originally Posted by 06CaymanS
And, for the most part the exhaust note sounds the same. Its a little less flappy sounding, but no volume change.
So, that is my take.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:37 PM
I think he was asking the above poster that stated he had installed catless headers and remus exhaust. Im sure it has some volume to it. That was something that i really was not interested in. I like the way the fabspeed and borla exhaust sound, but i am personally not a fan of the others i have heard.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
I think once you upgrade to aftermarket muffler, you'll find a bigger change in sound/tone. I have the Fabspeed (race cats) with Remus... and the system sounds great. The system sounds deep and throaty to ~3500 rpm, then gets raspy above that to redline.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
ithium1330

Exactly ! The sound after Installing the Catless fabspeed headers is just a knock out .It is slightly deeper and throaty as compared to the stock headers with only the remus exhaust just as ithium1330 described but when you get on it it sounds like a Gt-3 Cup car .I am addicted to the sound!! and the Tourque increase is night and day .
I plan on doing some 0 to 60 1/4 mile and a HP dyno run tomorrow so I will post my results .
My Car is a 2.7 liter . i think the fabspeed headers has unleashed this motor into a beast ..
Next stop for me is the TPC TURBO .stage 2 is my goal

Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM
I just can't do loud exhaust on a car that i drive every other day. Plus, those little tuner honda's that were everywhere during the fast and furious era irritated the hell out of me.
The fabspeed cat headers that i have do provide a deeper sound when the throttle is bumped under initial acceleration or while cruising. Other than that, it sound pretty much the same.
Im not sure if it is just my car, but the stock mufflers make a very flappy sound. Almost like there is a bunch of water stuck inside of them.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 AM
tskeen is infamous around these parts
I have a 2nd gen Cayman with a Remus exhaust. I have considered headers but will only do if there is a bump in power. By the looks of the manifolds on the 2nd gen the pipes are a little less constricted than the first gen. That being the case....$2500 for 10hp (that you probably could not feel) is a hard pill to swallow. The headers are so small looks like 1K would build a great set of headers and still leave room for profit. I think then they would sell a few.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 PM
switchface is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 06CaymanS
I just can't do loud exhaust on a car that i drive every other day...
As I've yet to hear any exhausts in person, take my comment with a grain of salt...but isn't the Borla setup supposed to be one of the louder/more aggressive/more drone-prone setups out there?

I'd like a bit deeper/angrier tone on my stock ride, but its a DD and I couldn't stand for an annoying/overpowering setup.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM
switchface

Here is a video of my buddys Borla with fabspeed catless headers .
Its pretty loud and very similar to the Remus and fabspeed setup I have .as you can hear there is a pretty signicant change in the sound after he added the headers
He gained 20 HP from the headers and 15 from the Borla.
I would say the Remus and fabspeed combo I have is slightly louder and deeper
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...qowAtPQEES_xeQ

also I have another friend that has a softronic flash and the Fabspeed Catless headers and Stock Exhaust just as 06caymans the OP has except his are catless ,the Op's have sport cats .
He did a Dyno shows a signicant HP improvement ,25 more HP at the Wheels 289!! stock exhaust ,no drone . http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-dyno...mparisons.html

Last edited by Fluid987; 02-10-2011 at 05:41 PM.