Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing PSM light?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:04 AM
DavidM is infamous around these parts
Flashing PSM light?!

What does it mean when you have the PSM (ie. stability control) switched off, and the PSM light on the dash flashes? Is that indicating that the car detects tyre slip, or that the PSM is working even though it's switched off?

Old 03-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
DavidM

It means it is off and not working

Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 AM
It means it is off and not working

The fact that it's lit up means that it's OFF ... no? Though, why does it flash when I might be close to loosing traction? Shouldn't it be just OFF, and not worry about me loosing traction?

I'm worried that it's not OFF, even though it should be.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
DavidM

If it lights up or flashes in the dash it means its OFF .It flashes letting you know that it should have been using PSM when you encounter a situation when it could have been using its function . so the flashing is a warning that its not on or working
I turn mine off sometimes when I am doing doughnuts or burnouts in the rain for fun..does the same thing as yours

Old 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Even if you turn off PSM, it's not totally off actually. It just increases the limit of angle before it will kick in. From what I know, the only way of deleting it completely is installing a yaw sensor kill switch, so if it's flashing, it's kicking in.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM
jhuang25

Looks like I had it the oposite then thanks for clearing this up jhuang25

Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
no problem. i have considered removing psm all together, but then again... naaaaw. hahaha.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Even if you turn off PSM, it's not totally off actually.

This is what I was worried about :-(

Also would you know under what conditions/situations PSM will interfere even when in OFF position? For example 350Z has a 'dormant' stability control when in the OFF mode. ie. It is off until it thinks that the back is going to step out under other situation but power. ie. it will straighten the car if you're sliding and touch the brakes.

From what I know, the only way of deleting it completely is installing a yaw sensor kill switch

Has anyone doe this ... if so, can you advise how difficult it was to disable it 100%? Are there any instructions that anyone can point me to? I would love to disable it 100% so any advice would be appreciated. I had to do it in the 350Z.

ps. I presume there's no fuse that could be pulled out to disable PSM? Would have been nice.

Last edited by DavidM; 03-10-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by DavidM
Even if you turn off PSM, it's not totally off actually.

This is what I was worried about :-(

Also would you know under what conditions/situations PSM will interfere even when in OFF position? For example 350Z has a 'dormant' stability control when in the OFF mode. ie. It is off until it thinks that the back is going to step out under other situation but power. ie. it will straighten the car if you're sliding and touch the brakes.

From what I know, the only way of deleting it completely is installing a yaw sensor kill switch

Has anyone doe this ... if so, can you advise how difficult it was to disable it 100%? Are there any instructions that anyone can point me to? I would love to disable it 100% so any advice would be appreciated. I had to do it in the 350Z.

ps. I presume there's no fuse that could be pulled out to disable PSM? Would have been nice.
I haven't done it on my car, but a number of guys in the POC run it that way. I'll ask them and PM you the details.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 PM
sparker is infamous around these parts
I too would love to hear the solution/install details when they come to hand.

Thanks,
Sam

Old 07-29-2011, 07:45 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I get P4420 PSM error on track too, could anybody who knows how to disable yaw sensor PM me details pls? I would love to find the way to stop this from happening as I do not think it is a faulty sensor.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:57 AM
I get P4420 PSM error on track too

Do you get this even when your PSM if switched off? If so, then bummer :-( I was hoping Porsche of all manufactures would allow drivers to switch off the PSM. I'm not a fan of manufactures forcing 'features' that cannot be switched off.

ps. Would like to know how to disable this myself.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 AM
Now that my tyres are getting a bit worn, and can spin the tyres a bit easier, I'm starting to think that the PSM (ie. the traction/stability control) is still active even when switched off. Not only does it flash on the dash when the back steps out, it also feels like the I am also loosing some power. It may be the lack of LSD, but it seems like the PSM is cutting the power.

So I'm wondering ...
a) does anyone have any thought/info about this? Is the PSM always active in the 987 Boxster S? And if so, why!?!?
b) is there a way to 100% disable the PSM? Ideally, I'd like it not to interfere with my driving.

Last edited by DavidM; 03-27-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DavidM
Now that my tyres are getting a bit worn, and can spin the tyres a bit easier, I'm starting to think that the PSM (ie. the traction/stability control) is still active even when switched off. Not only does it flash on the dash when the back steps out, it also feels like the I am also loosing some power. It may be the lack of LSD, but it seems like the PSM is cutting the power.

So I'm wondering ...
a) does anyone have any thought/info about this? Is the PSM always active in the 997 Boxster S? And if so, why!?!?
b) is there a way to 100% disable the PSM? Ideally, I'd like it not to interfere with my driving.
Same thing applies to the 996tt, PSM is not fully off even when you switch it off via the dash switch. To fully turn it off and keep ABS active you must disconnect the connector going to the pre charge pump which is right under the ABS module. I would imagine the same would apply to the boxter / cayman...

Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 AM
To fully turn it off and keep ABS active you must disconnect the connector going to the pre charge pump which is right under the ABS module.

Thanks for the tip. Where is the ABS module located in a 996? Would be good where to start looking.

Also does anyone know what the PSM actually does when in the OFF mode? ie. what's different between having PMS on or off? I do know that in the off mode you can at least spin the wheels, but not sure what function is the PSM trying to perform.

ps. When did Porsche became 'nanny' cars? I'm surprised and disappointed that Porsche does not allow the driver to have control of the car?! That's something I'd expect of Lexus/Toyota ... but not a sportscar manufacturer.

Last edited by DavidM; 04-02-2012 at 05:04 AM.