Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster for first car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:49 PM
gofast23 is infamous around these parts
Question Boxster for first car?

I am about to turn 16, and I really want a 2005 or newer Porsche Boxster. My parents like the car but not the idea of me driving it. Can someone tell me how much insurance would be for this car. And how much a service for this car would be. I would most likely get one with 45,000 or more miles. Will this be reliable? How many miles do these last before you need a major service done? Or, would a '04 or older Boxster S be better. Is this car safe, that is probably the main reason my parents don't want me to drive it, just because it is small?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:28 AM
dyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud ofdyc1077 has much to be proud of
Do you play the guitar, baseball, golf, hockey, or plan on going away for college? The car definitely is small and you should think about if the car is practical for what you need to do.

for insurance quotes check an online site like geico. With 14 years of driving experience and three cars on my policy, I am paying about 1000 a year for my 2005 boxster s.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gofast23
I am about to turn 16, and I really want a 2005 or newer Porsche Boxster. My parents like the car but not the idea of me driving it. Can someone tell me how much insurance would be for this car. And how much a service for this car would be. I would most likely get one with 45,000 or more miles. Will this be reliable? How many miles do these last before you need a major service done? Or, would a '04 or older Boxster S be better. Is this car safe, that is probably the main reason my parents don't want me to drive it, just because it is small?
Gofast,

Your head is in the right place in wanting a boxster as a first car. Unfortunately, however, I feel that your parent's head is also in the right place in saying "no."

Your username says it all. 16 years old and like it or not- you are going to look for thrills at every stoplight. You won't have the driving experience to know what is reasonable street speeds and the boxster will make it even harder to draw the line. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's not likely. Though we all think we start off as the best drivers in the world, driving is just like everything else and it takes practice.

On a personal note, I had slow cars and found the same invincibility issues- I went upside down in a land rover and totaled a z71 all before I got out of high school. If I had a porsche at that time of my life, I would probably not be writing this message.

I think a smallish SUV would be best, something you can fit your friends, toys, gear, luggage, hobbies.. something like an fx35/45 or Cayenne. It's still sporty and luxurious, but it wouldn't be tempting to take corners at twice the posted speeds.

Keep us all posted in whichever direction you go, and we look forward to seeing you around here at some stage of the future.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
It's not going to be very practical. At least in Texas the weather won't play as much of a role, though. What about something like an Audi S4 or BMW 3 series? Those are safe and will satisfy some of your need for speed without being nuts. They're also more practical than a Boxster and will be able to fit your friends in the car once your probationary period on your license ends.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Question

Originally Posted by NOLA911
Gofast,

Your head is in the right place in wanting a boxster as a first car. Unfortunately, however, I feel that your parent's head is also in the right place in saying "no."

Your username says it all. 16 years old and like it or not- you are going to look for thrills at every stoplight. You won't have the driving experience to know what is reasonable street speeds and the boxster will make it even harder to draw the line. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's not likely. Though we all think we start off as the best drivers in the world, driving is just like everything else and it takes practice.

On a personal note, I had slow cars and found the same invincibility issues- I went upside down in a land rover and totaled a z71 all before I got out of high school. If I had a porsche at that time of my life, I would probably not be writing this message.

I think a smallish SUV would be best, something you can fit your friends, toys, gear, luggage, hobbies.. something like an fx35/45 or Cayenne. It's still sporty and luxurious, but it wouldn't be tempting to take corners at twice the posted speeds.

Keep us all posted in whichever direction you go, and we look forward to seeing you around here at some stage of the future.
Hmm... that gives me alot to think about. I really don't see any point in going fast or racing (maybe one legal drag race just to experiance it). I chose this name quick just so I could ask this question. I want this car because I want the car, not for the thrills. If I didn't get this car I would get a BMW 850ci or Rolls Royce Silver Spur. I was looking into the Porsche Cayenne and really liked it. But, would the Boxster be relatively cheap to maintain? I would sacrifice passenger space for this car, I love this car and really think I would enjoy having one. And I dont want a car for people to look at me either, only snobby rude people do that.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Peter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud ofPeter1.8t has much to be proud of
I think your parents have every right to say no. Boxster is a quick car. Its not crazy fast but still fast enough to get you into trouble. Maybe the boxster can come later down the road.

I'm 20 years old and bought a b5 a4 as my first car. Totaled that in high school because i hit standing water on the road. After that I took several classes on advanced car control, taught me some very useful skills and just recently, it probably saved my life when I was hit in my other a4 by a drunk driver causing me to spin several times.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is given your driving skills, you should start off with a less powerful car because it doesn't take much, under certain circumstances, to get yourself into trouble. A bmw 3 series, a4, or c class would probably be a better choice for you. They are still fun cars but more new driver friendly.

Right now I'm driving a modified b5 s4. Car pulls on my dads 911 so again i would not advise buying an s4.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 AM
GT3Gavin is infamous around these parts
Nahh man don't get a p-car first. Wayyyy to easy to play with and we've all been there when we first start.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Guys, I think we were baited...

If not, I will bite again.. you just went from looking at a porsche to a Silver Spur to a 850 BWM?? As a first car??? And want it cheap to maintain?

The porsche can be decently reliable, but by no means "cheap" - Tires, oil, filters, and general upkeep will cost more than a regular car would... A 20 year old Rolls or BMW will cost you the purchase price of a normal starter car every year in maintenance if you cant DIY.

Furthermore- "I want this car because I want the car, not for the thrills." If you are not wanting the boxster for performance reasons, then there is absolutely no reason to get one.... it's not a practical car at all, it is a performance car.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by NOLA911
Guys, I think we were baited...

If not, I will bite again.. you just went from looking at a porsche to a Silver Spur to a 850 BWM?? As a first car??? And want it cheap to maintain?

The porsche can be decently reliable, but by no means "cheap" - Tires, oil, filters, and general upkeep will cost more than a regular car would... A 20 year old Rolls or BMW will cost you the purchase price of a normal starter car every year in maintenance if you cant DIY.

Furthermore- "I want this car because I want the car, not for the thrills." If you are not wanting the boxster for performance reasons, then there is absolutely no reason to get one.... it's not a practical car at all, it is a performance car.
I said the RR and BMW as a reference. I like agile sports cars and big luxury cars. My neighbor has an 850 and I would want one because he uses it to commute to work and he said it is pretty reliable. I might not get a Boxster. Z4's and 300zx TT's are pretty good to.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:16 PM
Michael Resciniti is infamous around these parts
Talking

Originally Posted by gofast23
the car is also not very practical because it is a 2 seat convertible that does 0-6 in 6.2 sec. for a first car you would want something more safe and practical not the poor mans Porsche

Old 04-18-2020, 04:11 PM
M0J0 is a glorious beacon of lightM0J0 is a glorious beacon of lightM0J0 is a glorious beacon of lightM0J0 is a glorious beacon of lightM0J0 is a glorious beacon of lightM0J0 is a glorious beacon of light
You will wreck the car. You need something cheap to insure with a good fuel economy and something that has lots of room. Let me say this again you will wreck it and it is expensive to repair. The cars you want are cars for when you turn 30, unless you have rich parents that will pay for everything.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:51 PM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I like that you are here asking the right questions. That puts you ahead of the game. But I would not recommend a Boxster as your first car. I would get a cheap Honda, Toyota, Kia, etc. for a first car. Drive that for a year or two and then get the Boxster. I have never seen a 16 year-old, and no offense to you, who did not have a few accidents in their first year or two of driving. Much cheaper to fix a Honda, etc. And, when the time comes, shoot for a 2009 or newer Boxster so you get the better motor, LED lights, etc. Watch your driving and always keep and eye open looking for the police- they like to intervene early when it comes to kids in cars and get them a few tickets to slow them down and get them to pay attention to the rules of the road. They rarely let kids off w/o a ticket. For course accidents and tickets cause your insurance to go up. God grades help keep your insurance costs down.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:53 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
For everyone looking this thread was from 2011. I am real curious how things have gone for the original poster since then but I don't think we'll be hearing any resolution to this story. No idea how or why Michael found this old a thread and decided to reply to it as his first post on the forum, just know any further advice here will only help others potentially reading the post and not the original poster.