Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400whp without forced induction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Right, and I just can't agree with your logic. The 3.8l Porsche engine should be factory OEM reliable in my eyes. They took a new crate engine and put it into the car with the ECU that's designed to run it. What's going to present a threat to reliability? The Cayman just got a Carrera heart transplant.

It's not like they took the thing apart, upped the compression ratio, increased the cam duration and overlap. They didn't put a race engine in the car. In fact, if you talk to BGB, they took 500rpm off the top end rev limit of how they run the car in Grand Am to save the life of the bigger engine.

The only real question mark in this application is heat. The 3.8l will run marginally hotter than the stock engine. But is it enough to worry about? I personally don't think so. They already run 3 radiators on their cars, plus an oil cooler and heat wrap the hell out of everything. For a daily driver DE weapon, I think that this set up is going to catch on really quickly. I expect a year from now, you'll see 1 of these swaps at every track day you go to where a Cayman shows it's face. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of them jump out of DE and into real racing, be it in a power to weight class in NASA or one of the GT classes in PCA Club racing.