Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking @ Buying 01-02 Boxster S. Tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
Looking @ Buying 01-02 Boxster S. Tips?

Hello! This month I should be purchasing a preowned car.
I've been looking at 2003-2005 Z4 3.0i, but I think I still might prefer the Boxster S minus the fact that it's more outdated. A silver Boxster S was one of my first diecast models and it looks exactly like the 2nd car in the link.

1. I was wondering if there's anything I should look out for? I'm a little iffy about the plastic rear window, but that should be minor.
Are there any other issues I should look out for? IMS issue?

2. This an another argument with buying from the dealership vs. private owner. Would you prefer to buy a Boxster S from a used car dealership or private owner?
The benefits from buying from a used car dealership would be that you have a warranty. The cons would be that they dealership might not know much about the specific car or might not have the specific diagnostics.
The benefits from buying private would be that you can get a feel from the owner, ask for the history of the car, etc...I would definitely have a PPI done. The downside is that if there's a problem, I will have no warranty.
Opinions?

I have two options. I love the red interior in the 2nd option, but even the black interior in the 2002 looks very well maintained.
By chance, has anyone looked at these two Boxsters before?

1. 2002 Boxster S- dealership
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

2. 2001 Boxster S- private seller
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Last edited by MrNurse; 04-22-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 AM
PorscheNewby is infamous around these parts
Boxster S

Assuming that the PPI is clean on both, I would go for the 2002. Although it is $1K more, it has some pretty pricy upgrades. It has Litronics ($1500 used or $2500 new), de-ambered rear tail lights ($350), lowered (if done right, it is probably good should know from PPI. As low as $300 for just springs to $2500 for coil overs), heated seats (you will love them in NYC). The only option that the 2001 has that would be desirable that the 2002 does not have is PSM. I wish I had that on my 02 non-S. Another item to consider is whether or not the 60K mile service has been completed on either. I personally performed my own, but taking to the dealership for that would most likely be pretty costly. I can't see what tires are on the 2001, but the 2002 has Pilot Sports, which are great. Other than that, both look nice. I'm sure either would make you very happy. My 02 is my first real Porsche (had a 924 about 15 years ago) and it is an amazing car. Just my .02

David

Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 AM
teamwenz is infamous around these parts
Both cars look nice but I am a sucker for silver/red combo. Mike Focke has a great website spend some time on it. http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...oxsterwebpages

I love my 2001 S as you look at cars make sure you get an S model.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
I would say wait and go for a '03/'04 Boxster S. The upgrades are worth it.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 PM
The only thing I don't like about the private seller is that there has been 5 owners!
Would that really be a big deal? I'm curious as to why some of the previous owners have only had the car for a few miles/months. Should this bring down his asking price/value?
http://www.carfax.com/cfm/FSBO.cfm?r...A9495B6D86D24E

Originally Posted by PorscheNewby
Assuming that the PPI is clean on both, I would go for the 2002. Although it is $1K more, it has some pretty pricy upgrades. It has Litronics ($1500 used or $2500 new), de-ambered rear tail lights ($350), lowered (if done right, it is probably good should know from PPI. As low as $300 for just springs to $2500 for coil overs), heated seats (you will love them in NYC). The only option that the 2001 has that would be desirable that the 2002 does not have is PSM. I wish I had that on my 02 non-S. Another item to consider is whether or not the 60K mile service has been completed on either. I personally performed my own, but taking to the dealership for that would most likely be pretty costly. I can't see what tires are on the 2001, but the 2002 has Pilot Sports, which are great. Other than that, both look nice. I'm sure either would make you very happy. My 02 is my first real Porsche (had a 924 about 15 years ago) and it is an amazing car. Just my .02

David
Thanks!
Yes. I really like the headlights and tail lights.
Can you tell if the private seller has full leather?
Does the top look like it's in bad condition- the creasing?

Originally Posted by teamwenz
Both cars look nice but I am a sucker for silver/red combo. Mike Focke has a great website spend some time on it. http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...oxsterwebpages

I love my 2001 S as you look at cars make sure you get an S model.
Great site! I'll have to read up on that for sure.
I would only buy an S model :-)
I also LOVE the silver/red combo because it's so classic...

Originally Posted by Dino V
I would say wait and go for a '03/'04 Boxster S. The upgrades are worth it.
Thanks. I'm reading up on the 2003 changes. I do like the 2003, but my budget is right in the range for the 2001 and 2002 that I listed.

Last edited by MrNurse; 04-24-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM
thnxbabe has a spectacular aura aboutthnxbabe has a spectacular aura about
Don't sweat the plastic window. As long as it is in good shape and you don't put the top down when the plastic is cold, you will be fine.

As to the slight HP bump etc on the new cars, if you never drive them, you will never miss the difference.

Coming from a 2002 S - it was an awesome car!!!!

PSM maybe a nice to have, but i never missed not having it. The car handles so well, unless you are a complete yo-yo, you won't need the PSM.

The "red" isn't a true red - it is more like terra cotta (just in case you didn't know). There is a red interior available, but the one in the pix looks a lot more like like the orangey terra cotta color.

Get a PPI, get a tune up and take it for a rip in the country. You will love it!!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by thnxbabe
Don't sweat the plastic window. As long as it is in good shape and you don't put the top down when the plastic is cold, you will be fine.

As to the slight HP bump etc on the new cars, if you never drive them, you will never miss the difference.

Coming from a 2002 S - it was an awesome car!!!!

PSM maybe a nice to have, but i never missed not having it. The car handles so well, unless you are a complete yo-yo, you won't need the PSM.

The "red" isn't a true red - it is more like terra cotta (just in case you didn't know). There is a red interior available, but the one in the pix looks a lot more like like the orangey terra cotta color.

Get a PPI, get a tune up and take it for a rip in the country. You will love it!!!!
Oh ok. Apparently it's only an 8hp difference. 250hp should be fun enough especially compared to the Z4 I'm considering.

Thanks, I like the Terracotta red. It looks closer to the original 718 RS60 interior.

I will definitely take a road trip when I get my next car.

Any opinions on the carfax of the privately owned car- the 5 owners?
How hard is it to find a silver hardtop? I'm really looking to get one. Will a 986 hardtop fit any Boxster whether it's 2001 or 2003?

Last edited by MrNurse; 04-27-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM
BeachBum1 is infamous around these parts
The other plus with the 03-04 is the glove box for more space in the ****pit which, in this car, is limited. I have an 03 S and, along with the glass rear window(which you will eventually upgrade to) it might not be a bad idea to look into.

Greg

Old 04-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by BeachBum1
The other plus with the 03-04 is the glove box for more space in the ****pit which, in this car, is limited. I have an 03 S and, along with the glass rear window(which you will eventually upgrade to) it might not be a bad idea to look into.

Greg
I found a 2003 for about $17,000. Again, I'm trying to spend no more than $15,000 and his clutch is slipping. Wouldn't parts+ labor about $1,000-$1,500?

The 2002 Boxster S with the Litronics headlights looks to be sold I'm actually really upset about it.

Opinions on 5 owners?

Last edited by MrNurse; 04-30-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Anyone? I'm probably going to see a Boxster S in VA next week.

I'm hoping to look at this, but there's no free carfax for it:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

and there's a slight chance I may look at this one:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Last edited by MrNurse; 05-10-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:13 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I like the second one the best. No particular reason, but I would check to see what service intervals have been done along with PPI and possibly evn a rev report.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by ScooterP
I like the second one the best. No particular reason, but I would check to see what service intervals have been done along with PPI and possibly evn a rev report.
It's a little to far and more than I'd like to spend.

How much of a difference would it be to insure a 2001 Boxster S as opposed to something like a 2004 Acura TL/TSX (any 4 door sedan in that category) and a 2005 RSX-S. Is there a significant difference?

Old 05-26-2011, 03:48 PM
ASpec818 is infamous around these parts
i just picked up an boxster s. i wish i had done a PPI on that thing

Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 PM
ASpec818 is infamous around these parts
the front brakes were vibrating, the check engine light came on, and i had trouble shifting into gear when the car was cold. this all happened after i came home from the test drive. now i also noticed the remote needs a reprogram- ($100+ from dealer). i shouldnt have made this impluse purchase.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ASpec818
the front brakes were vibrating, the check engine light came on, and i had trouble shifting into gear when the car was cold. this all happened after i came home from the test drive. now i also noticed the remote needs a reprogram- ($100+ from dealer). i shouldnt have made this impluse purchase.
Ok, you got a car with a few issues. Non sound that serious.

The brakes may need doing (just replace the pads/rotors) and if you're handy with a wrench you can do this yourself.

The check engine... get a code reader and read the codes and post them here.

The remote needs reprogramming and it costs $100. Not a biggie.

Oh, any chance if you bought the car from the dealer any or all of the above will taken care of in whole or in part?

If you brought from a private seller you might point out that the conditions pre-existed and he failed to inform you of them and perhaps you can scare/bluff/shame him in to chipping in some money to cover part of the cost of putting things right.

Oh, and just to reinforce this: Test ride in the car and test drive the car before you buy it! Give it more than a spin around the block, too.

Sincerely,

Macster.