Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 551 Spyder announced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Looking forward to seeing more info on this car.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Driving the rear wheels through a conventional manual gearbox – although a PDK twin-clutch could be offered too
– the new sub-Boxster machine will arrive in 2014.

There are no details regarding performance, but weighing around 1,200kg, the two-seater should be able to do 0-60mph in around 6.0 seconds

and hit a top speed of 145mph. But it will also be efficient, returning 40mpg and emitting less than 160g/km of CO2 thanks to start-stop.

With a manually operated folding canvas roof, the two seater 550 will be a very back-to-basics Porsche. Smaller than the Boxster, it will be even more agile and one of the most driver-focused cars in the line-up.

(source: Autoexpress)

Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
update:

4 cylinder engine for the 551, Boxster, Cayman officially in the works

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110905/CARNEWS/110909935

_____

Old 10-20-2011, 05:09 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I think if this comes in a coupe variant, people who want a smaller coupe have found their car.

I'm interested. There is no way I could daily this thing, but it looks like it could be a lot of fun on track.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Chad_987 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by navanod
I like the rumor, just not the cgi... sorry but this is just wrong.
I'd have to agree that it is 'wrong'... only because the way this is turning out, it's going to be more of a tuner.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:29 AM
e46m3smg is infamous around these partse46m3smg is infamous around these parts
Why can't they just make a faster and better looking Boxster, I know it will be close to the 911 but to be honest it's a different car. The Boxster is a 2 seater Roadster, even the 911 Cabrios are not Roadsters so what's the big deal. They should make a Boxster GT3 with ~450hp flat-6 or even 500 like the GT3 4.0 and make it affordable. Yes, performance and affordable aren't friends but they'll sell alot. People love the Boxster chassis and if they made it properly fast even JC would stop calling it "the Porsche for people who can't afford a 911". I love the Boxster but it needs more power. A 4 cyl Boxster is just....NO. If you want fuel economy don't buy a sportscar. Besides the new PDK Porsche's have great fuel economy considering their performance. Please don't ruin the Boxster's look, make it nice looking and give it an NA flat-6 with ~380hp and then make a Boxster GT3 and give it ~450-500hp flat-6 like the GT3 4.0

Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by e46m3smg
Why can't they just make a faster and better looking Boxster, I know it will be close to the 911 but to be honest it's a different car. The Boxster is a 2 seater Roadster, even the 911 Cabrios are not Roadsters so what's the big deal. They should make a Boxster GT3 with ~450hp flat-6 or even 500 like the GT3 4.0 and make it affordable. Yes, performance and affordable aren't friends but they'll sell alot. People love the Boxster chassis and if they made it properly fast even JC would stop calling it "the Porsche for people who can't afford a 911". I love the Boxster but it needs more power. A 4 cyl Boxster is just....NO. If you want fuel economy don't buy a sportscar. Besides the new PDK Porsche's have great fuel economy considering their performance. Please don't ruin the Boxster's look, make it nice looking and give it an NA flat-6 with ~380hp and then make a Boxster GT3 and give it ~450-500hp flat-6 like the GT3 4.0
I like your optimism. I understand, and do not necessarily disagree...

Why not put the expected power in the Porsches? Why purposely hold them back? I can't see that weight is that much different between the layouts. Why not use the same engines in the Boxster, Cayman, and 911 (and Boxster S, Cayman S, and 911S)?

Not only does this make sense logistically (cutting costs, by reducing the variants of engine blocks), but it may sell more of the lower models (I realize that Porsche knows this, and purposely markets these accordingly). For those who want the 911, they will still have the 911.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
looks like a pontiac solstice

Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by e46m3smg
You have a good point. There is a company out there that does a wonderful job (in terms of power increase and reliability, and what more could one want?) turbocharging the Cayman/Boxster. They have done, I believe, close to 100 mods if not more. Look at the money Porsche is passing up by not doing this themselves. I guess I don't understand corperate thinking.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 PM
224wheels is infamous around these parts
YES! Please give one to TPC for me, then I will buy it

Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 224wheels
YES! Please give one to TPC for me, then I will buy it
You read my mind!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 PM
And that is my intention since Porsche won't do it!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:04 PM
224wheels is infamous around these parts
I like your attitude. I am curious to c if the 4 banger they put in will b powerful enough to pull the weight. Anyone know what this things curb weight will b?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 224wheels
I like your attitude. I am curious to c if the 4 banger they put in will b powerful enough to pull the weight. Anyone know what this things curb weight will b?
Has it been written whether they'll be developing their own engine or sharing something like the Audi/VW 2.0T for such an application?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by Carbon
Has it been written whether they'll be developing their own engine or sharing something like the Audi/VW 2.0T for such an application?
From a profit perspective (similar to Porsche), it would make sense to use platform sharing to cut costs.

No need to reinvent the wheel, err... engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 551 Spyder announced