Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 551 Spyder announced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
im sure it will be a nice, fun car...but along with this comes brand dilution as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Karrera4
im sure it will be a nice, fun car...but along with this comes brand dilution as well.
thatīs not dilution, thatīs called staying alive in the future (emissions, CAFE standards etc.)

Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Something they won't do but I can still imagine and drool over, a lightweight mid engine Porsche with Audi's turbocharged inline 5 from the TT RS and RS3.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
^ even the 2.0T wouldn't be bad.. some people are pushing 400hp out of them.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:52 PM
dan1423 is infamous around these partsdan1423 is infamous around these parts
YES! Please give one to TPC for me, then I will buy it
I have to agree with this. Brought my brother's 2.7L boxster orange to TPC last year and it made a huge difference in performance but still kept its Porsche characteristics. The car runs to 60 in about 4.2 to 100 in 10.3 and the qtr in about 12.5. Remember this is a 2.7L and at the same time gets the same gas mileage as stock (up to 25-30 mpg cruising in top gear on the highway). The car only has 300 wheel horsepower so its not putting down crazy power but it works on its weight. The stock boxster/cayman should come with this performance, the 551 is simply VW putting a more affordable car on the market with the Porsche badge. Youre going to see these things all over the place and I dont necessarily think thats a good thing (of course for vw and porsche sales it is but thats not what I mean).

Here's a quick video of the 2.7 with my friends v10 r8 spyder...by no means am I comparing the two but the fact that the 2.7 turbo can stick around to 100 isnt bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYg33yG-nWA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Old 10-30-2011, 04:45 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dan1423
I have to agree with this. Brought my brother's 2.7L boxster orange to TPC last year and it made a huge difference in performance but still kept its Porsche characteristics. The car runs to 60 in about 4.2 to 100 in 10.3 and the qtr in about 12.5. Remember this is a 2.7L and at the same time gets the same gas mileage as stock (up to 25-30 mpg cruising in top gear on the highway). The car only has 300 wheel horsepower so its not putting down crazy power but it works on its weight. The stock boxster/cayman should come with this performance, the 551 is simply VW putting a more affordable car on the market with the Porsche badge. Youre going to see these things all over the place and I dont necessarily think thats a good thing (of course for vw and porsche sales it is but thats not what I mean).

Here's a quick video of the 2.7 with my friends v10 r8 spyder...by no means am I comparing the two but the fact that the 2.7 turbo can stick around to 100 isnt bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYg33...e_gdata_player
It isnīt really new that Porsche takes a platform from VW and creates a car with its badge on it.
I mean they have done it with the 914 and today they are doing it with the Cayenne.
And those who have driven both SUVs (Touareg and Cayenne) can surely tell that the Cayenne, which shares the platform with the Touareg, is a different animal (handling, dynamics) compared to The VW brother. Once Porsche gets their hands on a platform it will work wonders. This car will be and perform like a true Porsche, anyone doubt this?!

P.S. Nice vid!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:19 PM
scuderiavw is infamous around these parts
I just wonder how much smaller would it be? Boxter is just perfect, anything smaller is borderline not comfy! Why wouldn't they integrate a smaller engine, such as a turbocharged 4 cylinder instead is beyond me.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by scuderiavw
I just wonder how much smaller would it be? Boxter is just perfect, anything smaller is borderline not comfy! Why wouldn't they integrate a smaller engine, such as a turbocharged 4 cylinder instead is beyond me.

Well, it seems like Porsche makes sure that there is room for an even smaller car cause every other (sportscar)model is getting bigger.
the new 991 is ~2" longer than the 997, the new Cayman/Boxster is said to become a tad bigger too.

P.S. a 1.6L Turbo flat 4 is in the works. The 551 will get it first, The new Boxster/Cayman later on.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 AM
224wheels is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Carbon
Something they won't do but I can still imagine and drool over, a lightweight mid engine Porsche with Audi's turbocharged inline 5 from the TT RS and RS3.
thats what i'm talken about

Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM
C.Plavan is infamous around these parts
I'm all for 551 Cup racing

Old 12-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Darkstar1 is infamous around these parts
I think we will find their new opposed flat four curiously similar to a flat four four cam engine that they are rumored to have had quite a bit of input on. The Subaru. The Subaru Sti engine seems to sound just like what the doctor ordered on this little mid-engine. And the economies of scale work for several companies to share the same base engine, rebadged for each.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 PM
a new rendering from Autobild.
(Autobild renderings are usually pretty close to the real thing in the later stages)

according to Autobild itīs powered by a Turbo flat-4 with 180HP, 210HP and 240HP
and it will cost ~$35K (30% less than the new Boxster).

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 04-03-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
according to Autobild itīs powered by a Turbo flat-4 with 180HP, 210HP and 240HP
and it will cost ~$35K (30% less than the new Boxster).
And an additional $40k in options...

Seriously - that car could compete on a global scale with the best economical convertibles out right now... The only problem I see now is - what makes this Porsche special?

Has the line blurred even more?

(referring to the brand dilution that was mentioned earlier, Cayenne, Panamera, Boxster, and now this)

Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
what makes this Porsche special?

itīs midengined and it carries the Porsche badge.
that should be enough to be a success.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
itīs midengined and it carries the Porsche badge.
that should be enough to be a success.
Sadly, I agree with you.

I think I'm going to call this the MR-2-551.

Isn't this the ENTIRE reason Toyota made the MR-2? And I mean entirely...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche 551 Spyder announced