Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 551 Spyder announced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
some good and bad news:

bad: the sub-Boxster is pushed back to 2017, because they want to focus on the new Macan and 911 + Panamera derivates first.
good: it will be a Porsche model on its own (and not just a rebadged VW bluesport)

interesting insight:

Retro design, modern power

"The 551 would be launched as a roadster, but a coupe edition is set to follow suit in 2018. At this point, two design proposals are fighting each other for approval. One is notably more retro, displaying prominent power domes behind the rollover hoops and striking longitudinal air vents inspired by the original 550. The rivaling concept looks much cleaner, more modern - and somewhat more anonymous.
"

more:

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1205_the_porsche_550_revival_lives/

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 05-07-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
some good and bad news:

bad: the sub-Boxster is pushed back to 2017, because they want to focus on the new Macan and 911 + Panamera derivates first.
good: it will be a Porsche model on its own (and not just a rebadged VW bluesport)

interesting insight:

Retro design, modern power

"The 551 would be launched as a roadster, but a coupe edition is set to follow suit in 2018. At this point, two design proposals are fighting each other for approval. One is notably more retro, displaying prominent power domes behind the rollover hoops and striking longitudinal air vents inspired by the original 550. The rivaling concept looks much cleaner, more modern - and somewhat more anonymous.
"

more:

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...revival_lives/

Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
This was in the news today (May 12, 2012)BERLIN (Reuters) -

German sports car maker Porsche (VOW3.DE)(PAH3.DE) has dropped plans to build a two-seater vehicle which would have been smaller and cheaper than its Boxster model, Stuttgarter Zeitung reported on Saturday, citing Chief Executive Officer Matthias Mueller.
Such plans would risk diluting the brand and alienate traditional customers, according to Mueller.
"We would do no good to the brand if we were to lose traditional Porsche customers" by pursuing a smaller Boxster model, the CEO was quoted as saying in an interview.
Mueller said Porsche also has no immediate plans to develop a smaller version of its four-door Panamera sedan, though he indicated that such a model could become an option in five or six years.
Porsche is aiming to increase annual deliveries to about 200,000 sports cars and SUVs by taking advantage of resources at Volkswagen. Europe's largest auto manufacturer owns 49.9 percent of Porsche's core business and is currently examining ways to purchase the remainder.
(Reporting By Andreas Cremer; Editing by Toby Chopra)

Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Karrera4
This was in the news today (May 12, 2012)BERLIN (Reuters) -

German sports car maker Porsche (VOW3.DE)(PAH3.DE) has dropped plans to build a two-seater vehicle which would have been smaller and cheaper than its Boxster model, Stuttgarter Zeitung reported on Saturday, citing Chief Executive Officer Matthias Mueller.
Does this mean we can finally see a lightweight, mid-engined VW roadster?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 AM
czechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura about
I don't see how would Porsche dilute its brand by offering affordable, true driver's sports car. Isn't that what Porsche should be all about??

IMO Panamera and Cayenne diluted the brand way more than this back-to-the-roots 550 ever could.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by czechchamp
I don't see how would Porsche dilute its brand by offering affordable, true driver's sports car. Isn't that what Porsche should be all about??

IMO Panamera and Cayenne diluted the brand way more than this back-to-the-roots 550 ever could.

You are right, the Pana and Cayenne did dilute the brand, but the profits from those vehicles went directly to the GT2/3 variants and the CGT/918 which were major investments in the brand. And, the consumer they were targeting with those Pana and Cayenne were people who already had a 911 or were looking for the Porsche "experience" with a bit more practicality. As the baby boomers who lusted after the 911 grew older, they needed to continue to attract them to the brand with a wider range of models.

The 551 would come in at a price point below the base boxster, attracting some 911 owners and other Porsche purists, but it would also open the brand up to a new demographic of people not typically associated with the other Porsche vehicles. Im not saying thats always a bad thing, but when you build a car that will be tested against a Mazda Miata, I believe there would be more brand dilution than anything else.

The reason this is all so interesting to me is because back when I was in business school, our first week was orientation and a case competition. The case: Porsche. We had to do a whole case study and presentation on the brand, what the Cayenne and upcoming (at the time) Pana would do to the brand, etc. Many groups actually presented that Porsche should introduce an entry level sports car below the boxster (aka, 551). On the last day, the VP of Marketing for PCNA came and spoke to us....I was lucky enough to actually drive him an hour back to the airport (because I had my Cayman ). We spent a lot of time talking about the brand...very facninating. He is now VP of Marketing for Jaguar NA.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
I am so glad that Porsche pulled the plug on this lil project of theirs. BMW does business by selling boat loads of 3 series, which is something that Porsche doesn't do at this point in time. .

Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
it seems that after all itīs not going to happen

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/06/porsche-says-it-has-no-plans-to-build.html

"To build a Porsche for 30,000 euros [$38,000] currently doesn't fit our brand,"
Porsche's head of sales and marketing Bernhard Maier
told Automotive News.

"The extraordinary purchase experience is not for free and the entry price is
currently covered with the Boxster and in the future by the Macan," he added.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
it seems that after all itīs not going to happen

"To build a Porsche for 30,000 euros [$38,000] currently doesn't fit our brand,"
Porsche's head of sales and marketing Bernhard Maier
That's Maier's way of saying "VW wouldn't approve it", which I guess is fine with me. With the Macan and "Pajun" coming along with supposed 2-door versions of the Panamera, it's going to become fairly difficult to find an actual sports car at a Porsche dealership in a few years.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 PM
medtech is infamous around these parts
This really doesn't excite me anyway. In reality it would likely end up being a watered down Boxster for about $10 grand less. I don't see the appeal.

With the new Boxster nearing perfection, I wouldn't want to settle for anything less.