Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked tranmission case 2000 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:35 PM
ASpec818 is infamous around these parts
Cracked tranmission case 2000 S

After replacing the drain plug for a tranny fluid flush, it started leaking slowly. Thought I had stripped the internal threads of the drain hole so I had it towed to a local shop for re-thread. However, they just notified me that my transmission case was cracked in 4 different places. They recommended either getting a new case, or taking a chance and using the jb weld approach to sealing the cracks. How common is this?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:42 PM
harryrcb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ASpec818
After replacing the drain plug for a tranny fluid flush, it started leaking slowly. Thought I had stripped the internal threads of the drain hole so I had it towed to a local shop for re-thread. However, they just notified me that my transmission case was cracked in 4 different places. They recommended either getting a new case, or taking a chance and using the jb weld approach to sealing the cracks. How common is this?
Haven't seen one yet but I would not use jb weld, find a weld shop in your area and have them heliarc (tig weld) it. Then It will be as good as new.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 PM
ASpec818 is infamous around these parts
anyone know where I can source a case? Wish I went ahead with welding it but I got impatient and just did a temp jb weld fix. I'm looking for a case to swap out the internals now..

Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 AM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
welding would depend on where and why the cracks are . chemical fixes ? only as a last resort imo. i would not go through the trouble of getting a case then rebuilding it with your parts imo. if it was me i would buy a complete trans for a known salvage yard......faster and cheaper repair imo. the big question is why did it crack in so many places ? did ya run over an anti-tank mine ?