Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local dealer is TERRIBLE -- who do I write to?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
I agree.

I just seriously think he's talking to a wall. Let's look at the facts.

1. Dealer has horrible reputation - This can't have developed overnight. I'm sure the dealer knows there are issues. Let's discover what he might think about that?

2. Dealer charges roughly twice the going rate for an oil change. - We have two possibilities here. Maybe the OP is leaving out details like asking for a complete PPI type go over on the car or he got a service level done with more things like cabin filters etc. Maybe he doesn't even know that's what he paid for. Or, the dealer just charges double. Isn't it likely the dealer knows he's priced outlandishly. He certainly has the ability to know this like any other business owner.

3. No loaners. - Every car dealer in the world seems to utilize Enterprise or some such rental car service to provide loaners now and they pay the bill, or they don't. Again, the dealer owns a Porsche Dealership. He's obviously not an idiot. Or maybe he is. But this info again is pretty well known. But the dealer chooses to use his privately owned loaners??? I assume so since its fairly difficult to run a rental car company out of cars. They tend to have "lots of them". Literally.

So what do we know with pretty good certainty? The dealer has delivered bad service for a long enough time to be known for bad service. Two, the dealer puts up with this even if he doesn't encourage it. The dealer charges twice the going rate for an oil change. The dealer, who is making a killing on oil changes, can't or won't supply enough of his own econo boxes or sub out the work to a rental car company who would make this problem go away fairly cheaply.

Personally, I think you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of being that one voice in the wilderness that gets him to change his ways. He's either a miserly piece of excrement or thinks he has his customer base bent over the counter. You don't change people like that. You take your money elsewhere.

It seems this guy cares only about profit and that's exactly how you will change him. If you feel the need to write letters and make calls, do it to Porsche directly or to Panorama or some other method that will get someone in corporate to think about brand image. This guy sees only Benjamins.

Jim

PS: People should believe their research. Otherwise save your time and learn your lessons one at a time.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:59 PM
jakeskiny is infamous around these parts
Do what's going to make you feel better

I had a similar problem with a local dealer a few years ago and went the "letter to GM and PCNA" route. It got me nowhere other than a letter back from PCNA saying that they were sorry but could not do anything for me. You can call the Porsche Customer Commitment Group at 1-800-PORSCHE and get the current address in Atlanta to mail your complaint to. I think that they will also register you as the current owner of your Boxter through the VIN number. You can ask them about any recall notices or technical service bulletins regarding the airbag light.

I sympathize with your situation at the dealer but have to agree with others that you were aware of the negative reviews and went there anyways... Clearly, this situation has left a back taste in your mouth so you probably will never go back there again (and they probably know that) therefore you may have lost most of your leverage in negotiating some kind of discount off your repair bill.

As for the price of an oil change, I think $290 at the dealer is about average... you can get it done for half of that at an independent shop or under $80 if you do it yourself.

Lastly, a friend of mine was in a similar situation recently, and he ended up yelling (at the top of his lungs) at the service advisor, service manager and parts manager (in front of about five customers) at a Mercedes dealership. I asked him what they did to resolve the situation and he told me they did nothing... but he said he felt a lot better after getting it off his chest. Interesting approach...

Good luck with your situation and let us know how it ends up.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Samir has a spectacular aura aboutSamir has a spectacular aura aboutSamir has a spectacular aura about
Our local dealership sucks too. I even talked to the lead technician who overfilled the oil in my Boxster. His response to that was--"8.5qts was what it called for." That's the last time they'll touch my car. I'll drive to another city for proper service.

Now, it seems everytime I go to that dealership, they lie about everything--from sales to service and everything in between. I hope they lose their Porsche franchise. The last local Porsche dealership didn't last either.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Parks31 is infamous around these parts
I took my 2007, new to me Boxster, to local dealer in Memphis, TN. The quoted me $465 for oil change. I was shocked. I told him he was crazy and found an import repair who had 2 former dealer mechanics working for him. He charged me $25 if I brought parts.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
Sorry you had a bad experience. Take it to the owner/mgr first and give them the opportunity to make it right. Calm and rational are useful here. I judge a business not on whether or not they screw up (we all do) but how they handle it when things go wrong. Most dealerships require the car all day so maybe it was just a new scheduler who needed training. If the owner really doesn't care, simply find a good indy to service you car. They will likely appreciate your service business.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Samir has a spectacular aura aboutSamir has a spectacular aura aboutSamir has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
If the owner really doesn't care...
If the owner doesn't really care, then they shouldn't be a Porsche dealership, imo.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Samir
If the owner doesn't really care, then they shouldn't be a Porsche dealership, imo.
...And they won't be for very long. Business gets real hard real fast with no customers.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
I get a loaner at any and all Porsche, BMW, and MBZ dealers I go to. Porsche usually gives you a rent a car or a lesser model from a sister dealership. MBZ and BMW I've always gotten an MBZ or BMW loaner. Once in a great while they run out but will always get you a rent a car. Of course here they have competition. Two Porsche dealers, three MBZ dealer snd four BMW dealers all in a 60 mile radius. They have to be nicer. Pricing. Sometimes they a attempt to be competative on oil changes but everthing else is way over what a good indy will charge.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 06-17-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
...And they won't be for very long. Business gets real hard real fast with no customers.
This dealership sells 'the lifestyle' making people think they're upper-class if they drive one of their cars. Basically, they're snobs selling snobism (if that's even a word). The funny thing is, they're the oldest dealership in the area now.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
My 2 cents. Remember your "new" car is actually 9 model years old. Most dealers don't see older vehicles because most owners have found good independents by now. My advice is to check with P-car owners in your local area and see who they use. Sounds like the dealer is not interested in your business.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve's 996
My 2 cents. Remember your "new" car is actually 9 model years old. Most dealers don't see older vehicles because most owners have found good independents by now. My advice is to check with P-car owners in your local area and see who they use. Sounds like the dealer is not interested in your business.
+1...but it sounds like he needed recall service for a seatbelt receptacle airbag light...this forces you to use a dealership.

The alternative to an INDY is to DIY [I do about 90% of all the work on my car.]

Old 01-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
Nearly same experience / strongs salt lake city

I had nearly the same experience with the ineptness of this dealer. I had just bought my 2001 911 and went to service it at the dealer. I first drove it in to make my appointment. I needed to raise my PSS9's by an inch and he said he could do it no problem and with all the other work I was doing would "throw in" the alignment as they were having a special promotion. So, in my opinion, they did a great job on my service and lifted my car exactly the amount I had asked. They also bled my brakes and changed the oil. All done to my satisfaction. They even got me a rental at Enterprise. Yes, it was expensive, but they did it correctly and I was okay. I also spent about $500 on a key, charger, mats and other items in their parts dept too...so I was a good money spending customer.

This is where it goes whacky. I picked my car up after hours and had left my CC number earlier as I knew I would be late. Arrangements were made for the sales receptionist to have my keys and receipt. When I got my bill I noticed I was charged $250 for the alignment. Okay, so they forgot. I immediately called the service advisor's number and told him to give me a call back and noted the issue on the overcharge. No call back in 3 days / weekend. Still no call back Monday. On Tuesday I called and he said he would have to call me back after he pulled and looked at the invoice. No call back again. In the meantime, someone from the dealership emailed me on my service experience. I told them great, BUT could they please help me resolve my credit on the alignment. No email back. No call back.

So, I called and left message again that I need to get this resolved within the week AND sent an email to the service advisor. Still not wanting to burn my bridges, but running out of options...I just did a charge back for the $250 alignement as I had created a big enough paper trail by that time. In my opinion, this makes it their problem and in their court for them to contact you. Amex was great and immediately issued the credit and started the investigation. I really expected a call from someone at Strong's after this and I would calmly, but firmly explain to them my issue. NO CALL / no one cares. About a month went by and Amex sent a letter saying no one had responded at all and they were closing the investigation and I had prevailed. WOW.

Anyway, I cannot believe they have such a bad system and managers to let this happen. No one cared or called. I did find a local shop that I really liked. I just don't know my comfort level with them doing BIG jobs like a clutch, IMS, etc. They are awesome at the small services. Anyway, I'm looking for a referral to someone with IMS bearing replacement experience in Salt Lake City if anyone has it.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Call BMW of Murray and see if they will do any routine work. It's possible they will. I deal with them all the time, and they are about the most upstanding one of the many I deal with. Robert Clark there is about the best car salesman I have ever met.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
First, your experience should not ever have happened. My dealership gives a free first oil change and complete inspection of each car the first time it comes in (PPI). My oil change last week cost $149. I'm a busy guy and have no problem paying the dealership (one that I trust) to do any and all work a $60,000 + car needs. I'm not a factory authorized mechanic. My extended warranty requires an ASE certified shop do my work. That's is fine with me.

Problems like this can be avoided by: understanding a dealer's reputation, asking what the costs are prior to dropping off the car, unless you're getting new tires and balancing you're not going to get a free alignment and not expecting a loaner car unless you purchased your car there. Anything above that is a plus.

As a professional, I hire professionals for everything I need. Likewise, professionals hire me. That's what makes the economy work. I don't believe that running away from dealerships/mechanics is the way to assure your car receives the best service. Most of the people I read on this and another Porsche forum, who have regular problems with their cars, do their own work and don't have their cars serviced properly at a dealership. Not all, but too many.

A. PERFORM LUBE, OIL AND FILTER CHANGE, CHECK/FILL FLUID LEVELS, CHECK/ADJUST TIRE PRESSURES (MOBIL 1) $149.00 from Stevinson Imports.

Last edited by denversteve; 01-12-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 AM
Parkcity911 is infamous around these parts
Angry

[quote=denversteve;3424559]
Problems like this can be avoided by: understanding a dealer's reputation, asking what the costs are prior to dropping off the car, unless you're getting new tires and balancing you're not going to get a free alignment and not expecting a loaner car unless you purchased your car there. Anything above that is a plus. quote]

I agree with most of what you are saying about pricing and that a dealer should take good care of you. I got an advance price the day prior to my service. My problem was I was charged for something he said I would not be charged for. That was the small problem of all this. The big problem was they did not follow up on my direct talk with him, 2 voice mails, and about 3 emails. Hell, they did not even reply to Amex. Sound like they need to take an ASE customer service course! Not acceptable or appropriate in any sense of the word. I would be DOUBLY pissed if I had just bought a new GTS and this happened.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Local dealer is TERRIBLE -- who do I write to?