Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti-Dipped Rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 PM
OutsiderCS is infamous around these parts
Plasti-Dipped Rear

Decided to paint the lower back of my car black. Before selling my Corvette a few of the Corvette owners were experimenting with the Plasti Dip so I decided to join the crowd. I painted the bottom back of my rear bumper. I plan on doing the side vents, mirrors and spears.

Before:

After:

Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 PM
jderianSF is infamous around these parts
That looks good. Maybe think about also painting the exhaust pipe surround too.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 AM
navanod is infamous around these partsnavanod is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jderianSF
That looks good. Maybe think about also painting the exhaust pipe surround too.
Agreed... The masking job around it needs some symmetry.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by navanod
Agreed... The masking job around it needs some symmetry.
Symmetry, did I not center the car in the picture enough for you?

It's plasti-dip, the metal around the exhaust would get too hot which could cause the plasti-dip to bubble up. If you notice the lines, the exhaust metal piece is higher than the lines of the bottom rear. If I do the metal piece it will be higher than the original line, causing the symmetry to be lost.

All I did was recreate the carbon fiber layovers. Even the TA Rear Diffuser doesn't cover the metal.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I know it's a few feet away shot but that looks really smooth...I can't seem to get the paint to level....aways seem to get rough or small bubbles...

Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by geetee
I know it's a few feet away shot but that looks really smooth...I can't seem to get the paint to level....aways seem to get rough or small bubbles...
I'm not the greatest painter but I understand how to do it. Now on the under part of it, I have one spot right by the exhaust that's ruff b/c of my poor skills and one spot on the right side but if you add more layers, it starts to go away. It's just like paint from what I'm seeing but you can remove it anytime u want. I'm going to add paint and clear coat after a week or so to get it to shine some.

If you look on the right side on the bottom spear, a little from the right you will see a where it's a bit ruff.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:13 AM
jspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond reputejspporsche has a reputation beyond repute
Looks nice. I'm always amused by those of us that modify cars. If its body color, paint it black. If its black, paint it body color. If its amber, make it clear. If its clear, make it smoked. If the car has 5 spokes from the factory, install LMs. If it came with LMs, put on 5 spoke.

Ok, enough, I've got work to do.

Jim

Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by jspporsche
Looks nice. I'm always amused by those of us that modify cars. If its body color, paint it black. If its black, paint it body color. If its amber, make it clear. If its clear, make it smoked. If the car has 5 spokes from the factory, install LMs. If it came with LMs, put on 5 spoke.

Ok, enough, I've got work to do.

Jim
LOL, well put. And is so true at times. The first thing people said about my car was to add clear lights. I'm shocked to find no one has told me to smoke my lights yet.

cheers

Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
sphinz is infamous around these partssphinz is infamous around these parts
Can you post up how you prepped? I've had experience with plasti-dip before, and it started peeling off after about 3 months.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by jolly
Can you post up how you prepped? I've had experience with plasti-dip before, and it started peeling off after about 3 months.
Since I have a few chips on the front bumper I wanted to fix I actually cleaned one side with a Medium Reducer and the other side I just washed thoroughly. I just dipped mine so we will see how it last.

I did test spray on some parts I have laying around and I was able to add a clear coat after waiting a day for the plasti dip to dry...and remove the plasti dip after hours of drying but it was difficult in some areas. Next test is adding paint on top of it!

I think the peeling happens when the tape isn't peeled fast enough. If you don't pull the tape, after spraying, fast enough it rubberizes and you pull the smallest part up but it causes an issue long term. In reality it's not good to have too good of a tape job. I actually pulled up a few spots because I taped into the cracks and it pulled up the dip a little bit when I pulled the tape.

Last edited by OutsiderCS; 06-15-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:10 PM
So my findings with the Plasti Dip and clear coat continues. After learning how to fix paint chips, I figured why not try to sand off the plasti dip with 1500 grit sand paper...and I found success with it. I just plasti dipped my side vents and decided to test this out on the back of the piece. It comes right off and the paint still looks great. These pics are right after I started to sand away.

Now I'm going to go ahead and clear coat the piece. I'll post pics...

Old 07-03-2011, 09:40 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
I painted the silver exhaust surround trim in black - used the Krylon Fusion for Plastic in black. I basically masked the surround trim (without removing them from bumper) with painter tape and also wrapped the exhaust tips. No sanding or prep. This paint has been holding up like new for past year - even after a few track events.

Last edited by lithium1330; 07-03-2011 at 09:59 PM.