Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it still possible to order a Boxster Spyder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:41 PM
smalapas is infamous around these parts
Is it still possible to order a Boxster Spyder?

I went over to my local Porsche dealership in Newport Beach and tried to see if I could order a Porsche Boxster Spyder with no luck. They say production ends in July and they have no more coming. Unfortunately I have my heart set on a white one, and all 3 in California have the fat man seats, some even with PDK.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a dealer that can put in an order, I would be very grateful. This would be my first Porsche!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
What you dealer told you I believe is correct. By this date, the few MY2012 July allocations are already in pre-production status and can't be modified.

However, if all you must have is Carrara White, Sport Buckets and Manual Transmission, there is a good chance that at least ONE US dealer ordered such a combination for his last Spyder allocation. If you are truly serious about buying one (as opposed to spinning your wheels), I suggest you go the PCNA national dealer directory (on the web) and call up EACH dealer to ask what Spyder they are getting (if any). Good luck. z356 (currently in fabulous Colorado)

Old 06-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the reply! So far no luck. It appeared one of the dealerships might've had one but it sold. I have my local dealer doing a nation wide search on Monday and looking at incoming cars. I would've loved to just order one the way I wanted though.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:37 PM
A word to the wise. Your dealer will have to trade in order to get the Spyder. Most dealers with the Spyder will only trade for a Cayenne (hard to believe but true), which I doubt your dealer will give up. So you have a better chance to get what you want if YOU do the leg work. Buena Suerte. z356

Old 06-19-2011, 03:43 PM
They actually have a Spyder but in red with the fatman seats. I'm hoping they can trade that. My worst case scenario I put in an order for the Cayman R. I'll hold out until July and if nothing, I'll go with the backup.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Well, I wouldn't be so cavalier as to call them 'Fat Man' seats. More than half the Spyders were ordered with these seats and dealers love them because they are easier to sell. They are officially called the Sport Leather Seats and are quite contoured (in comparison to the 'wider' standard seats available on the Boxster, Cayman or Carrera!). If you are really 'fat', you will not fit in the Sport Leather Seats! The big attraction of the Sport Leather Seats is that they can be ordered with heat, something you can't have with the Sport Buckets. On a Spyder, heated seats are your friends...trust me on that! I am not exactly svelte but I went with the Sport Buckets on my MY2012 Spyder allocation. They are less weight, look better, are a better value (vs if you were to order them in any other model but Spyder, Cayman R and gt2/gt3's) and they appeal to the enthusiast in me. z356

Old 06-19-2011, 04:18 PM
LOL well I've been driving Recaro bucket seats for the last 3 years so I have an odd perspective.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
smalapas

Originally Posted by smalapas
They actually have a Spyder but in red with the fatman seats. I'm hoping they can trade that. My worst case scenario I put in an order for the Cayman R. I'll hold out until July and if nothing, I'll go with the backup.
I would take a Cayman R over the Boxster Spyder any day but maybe that is because chances are you would rarely get to drive with the top down here in WA

Cayman R all the way IMO

Old 06-19-2011, 06:40 PM
What I specifically dislike about the Cayman R are those round bubble fog lights and the odd looking rear bumper and the very tiny wing (although I do believe the new bumper adds some downforce). I also dislike the black mirrors. (All very subjective stuff)

But the Spyder is not without its disadvantages with the canvas not being suitable in heavy rain, and being capped at 124mph or whatever it was. I also do believe the Spyder capacity for cargo is quite a bit less than a Cayman. (All very real world function stuff)

A Cayman R should be a bit faster around a circuit too with the better aerodynamics and overall chassis advantage. I also like that the Cayman R engine has a slightly higher redline.

Can't go wrong with either, but in sunny California, a Spyder has its fun.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 PM
bensf1 is infamous around these parts
But the Spyder is not without its disadvantages with the canvas not being suitable in heavy rain, and being capped at 124mph or whatever it was.
In my personal experience the top actually does very well in heavy rain and I'm not sure where you are going to run afoul of the 124 mph limitation except on a track.

A Cayman R should be a bit faster around a circuit too with the better aerodynamics and overall chassis advantage. I also like that the Cayman R engine has a slightly higher redline.
Someone posted lap times for the same track, same driver, same day and the Cayman R was only marginally faster than the Spyder. Of course if you do a lot of track days, then having a roof has a significant safety advantage.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 PM
All very good points and you're right, the difference in performance is marginal.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Curious do you remember the lap time difference?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Dave I is infamous around these parts
There's a white one with six speed and sport buckets for 68-69 in Naples Florida. Listed on cars.com today and still on the dealership website.

Hopefully they're not game-playing clowns like Downtown LA who listed a car that's already been sold.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the reply! So far no luck. It appeared one of the dealerships might've had one but it sold. I have my local dealer doing a nation wide search on Monday and looking at incoming cars. I would've loved to just order one the way I wanted though.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
amalapas

All very good points and you're right, the difference in performance is marginal.
Get what you like thats for sure .sounds like you like the spyder better so I would keep calling all the dealers across the nation

keep trying !! the spyder in the hot California sun ..MMMM sounds nice!!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by wilber987
i might sell mine soon!
Details? How soon?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it still possible to order a Boxster Spyder?