Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long term Boxster Spyder and S owners-How do you like it so far?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kians313
Thanks.. appreciate the comments. You hit it spot on. My first Porsche was a Transsyberia, and lost $20k after a year of ownership. Was not a wise purchase I have to admit, although the car was a fun truck to drive.

I'm looking at 3 options at the moment: New 6spd w PCM+Sports Exhaust; Used PDK with PCM, SpChrono+, no SE; and used PDK with PCM, SpChrono w SE. I am struggling to chose between them. If you have any advice on what items I should prioritize for choosing this particular car, I'd really appreciate it...
I have told myself now that any new car purchases will be Euro Delivery only! That being said. I had PDK on my Panamera with no Manual shift cars left in the fleet. I really missed the manual. Been doing it for 30 years, so I need it back. PDK/manual depends on you. Daily driver? Weekender? PDK in these cars are great if you have the SPORT/PLUS buttons on some models for that aggressive shifting.

Next is the SE. I love it. Not too loud, just right. I always keep my cars OEM and I really enjoy it. I have it on all the time, sounds great with the Tent like roof because there is no insulation in that top!

So if PDK you need the Sport/+ buttons in my opinion.
SE a must in my opinion.

Have you driven the 3 cars? Have you heard the SE in this Spyder?

Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Kians313 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cfgtts

Have you driven the 3 cars? Have you heard the SE in this Spyder?

Only the 6speed with SE. Its what started me out on researching this car and finding one I'd be happy with as a potential DD. I really enjoyed the test drive, despite the fewer creature comforts we are used to in modern vehicles. The SE sounds fantastic.

I tend to agree with you about keeping cars fairly stock and enjoying them as they are built... but based on the search so far with the basic options desired, i might have to choose between 6sp+SE or PDK minus SE, and both requiring some form of aftermarket add-on.

Appreciate the thoughts....

Old 09-02-2011, 05:47 AM
inception is infamous around these parts
interesting to see the low mileage used spyders. maybe interested in picking one up when selling the 987

Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 AM
dchan8 is infamous around these parts
I'm a newbie here and I purchased a new 2011 Spyder. I ordered the car and it took a few months. The options I ordered with the car are as follows: Sport Chronos, short shifter, radio, and a/c. (I highly recommend the short shifter.)
I debated with myself on the Sport Exhaust, but when I spoke to my sales advisor, he stated there was no additional power, it was just the sound that it added. If that is true, I found no purpose in this option and decided to pass on it.

Last edited by dchan8; 09-12-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: mis-spellings
Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Well I'll possibly be lambasted for this (likely) but YOU are the only one that can decide which car to get. To me, a Boxster is a Boxster. I've owned a base and currently drive an S. A Spyder is just another Box with some different options. Simply put NOBODY (even if they think they are) is getting any benefit from a car that does 195 mph over one that does 165 for the extra money paid. And if you think you are, or will, then just spend the money and get the one you want. Most people - not all - buy what their budget will allow. My Porsche's are toys so I buy what I feel comfortable writing a check for. That said, I don't believe you can buy more car for the money anywhere than the Boxster S. I wouldn't by a "throw back" car with manual top and door pulls instead of handles. The 20 pounds saved will not make any difference. You can make any base Box look and perform like a Spyder for less. UNLESS YOU WANT A SPYDER.

Unless you are going to race the car - in which case you should already know the answer - you are going to drive from red light to red light or highway exit to highway exit and you're not going to go quicker or faster with one than the other - I know, I try. You're not even going to go faster or quicker than the guy in the VW Golf. If you want to mod one get a cheap base and add 10,000 to it for a Carrera S killer. If you are going to drive it as you buy it (like I do) then you have to drive them all and pick the one you prefer. Additionally, ALL cars depreciate immediately upon purchase unless you get a low, low mileage used vehicle for half its book value. Happy shopping.

Last edited by denversteve; 09-12-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
PolarPorsche is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Pastorsteve
Well I'll be lambasted for this (likely) but YOU are the only one that can decide which car to get. To me, a Boxster is a Boxster. I've owned a base and currently drive an S. A Spyder is just another Box with some different options. Simply put NOBODY (even if they think they are) is getting any benefit from a car that does 195 mph over one that does 165 for the extra money paid. And if you think you are, or will, then just spend the money and get the one you want.

Unless you are going to race the car - in which case you should already know the answer - you are going to drive from red light to red light or highway exit to highway exit and you're not going to go quicker or faster with one than the other - I know, I try. You're not even going to go faster or quicker than the guy in the VW Golf. If you want to mod one get a cheap base and add 10,000 to it for a Carrera S killer. If you are going to drive it as you buy it (like I do) then you have to drive them all and pick the one you prefer. Additionally, ALL cars depreciate immediately upon purchase unless you get a low, low mileage used vehicle for half its book value. Happy shopping.
As a former owner of a 2005 Boxster & 2007 Boxster S and present owner of a 2011 Boxster Spyder & 2011 GT3 I agree with your comments. I bought the Spyder purely for the looks, the car looks very sexy.

I have tracked all my cars both Autocross & HPDE and performance delta between the 3 Boxster's is very minimal.

The GT3 is a different story, it's a purpose built track car that is street legal, it's a poor street car IMHO. That said buy what makes you happy, that's all that counts.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Well I'll be lambasted for this (likely) but YOU are the only one that can decide which car to get. To me, a Boxster is a Boxster. I've owned a base and currently drive an S. A Spyder is just another Box with some different options. Simply put NOBODY (even if they think they are) is getting any benefit from a car that does 195 mph over one that does 165 for the extra money paid. And if you think you are, or will, then just spend the money and get the one you want.

Holy Moses, Reverend Pastor Steve. After reading you post I got all sad and troubled, sold all my Porsches and bought this VW Convertible. It is light weight, has a sexy red interior, it's perfect for open air driving and very economical. Soon all Boxsters & Caymans will be built (under Porsche's new arrangement with parent VW) at the same old VW owned plant (Karmann) which built this '74 Super Beetle...so you can call it an early Boxster. For Christ sake, Pastor, don't be such a downer!

By the way, a Spyder is not 'just another Box with some different options'. Where have you been for the past 2 years as the specifics & differences of this model have been explained over & over again by the motoring press and a cadre of thrilled happy owners? Saludos, z356

Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Right here - not drinking the Kool-Aid. I've read every spec. sheet on the car, what's your point? Sorry I originally missed the "Moses" thing. Funny.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Reverend Pastor, after that happened in Jonestown, Guyana, I agree we must all avoid drinking the Kool-Aid. But it's tasty, don't you agree?

OK, if YOU read all the specs, and noticed no significant differences between the Spyder and the regular Boxsters, whom are we to question your conclusion. Perhaps you got the 'word' direct from a...higher source. Of course, you didn't need to test drive, experience it yourself, talk to other owners, read the motoring reviews (e.g. 'Best Handling Car sold in America under $100K) and all the boring rest of doing due diligence before spouting off an 'informed' opinion.

By the way, what is your favorite Kool Aid flavor? 'Sour Grapes' is my guess. Mine is 'Tropical Punch'. Tasty indeed! Saludos, z356

Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I didn't say that there are no differences. However, a few pounds and slight horsepower difference - plus some options don't make it the "holy Grail" All your sarcasm aside. It is simply another Boxster just as a Carrera 4S is another Carrera that a prospective buyer has to decide for themselves if the differences, such as they are, are worth it to them. You, in all your writing, didn't articulate any appreciable difference that would help the OP jump at the opportunity for him/her to want the car. All you did was, less-than-humorously comment on my posting. Let's try this- try to answer the OP and not address my long-term real-world experience in the matter. Then he'll be more edified and you'll not look the jester.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I didn't say that there are no differences. However, a few pounds and slight horsepower difference - plus some options don't make it the "holy Grail" All your sarcasm aside. It is simply another Boxster just as a Carrera 4S is another Carrera that a prospective buyer has to decide for themselves if the differences, such as they are, are worth it to them. You, in all your writing, didn't articulate any appreciable difference that would help the OP jump at the opportunity for him/her to want the car. All you did was, less-than-humorously comment on my posting. Let's try this- try to answer the OP and not address my long-term real-world experience in the matter. Then he'll be more edified and you'll not look the jester.
Dear Reverend Pastor Steve: what long-term real world experience do you have? You don't own a Spyder and, as you have demonstrated so clearly, you don't have the slightest idea of the differences between a regular Boxster and a Spyder. The OP has been given a lot of serious feedback from actual owners of Spyders - Khooni, PolarPorsche, pcw, Mile2424, cfgtts, pearlcoupee35, dchan8 and RdSpyder. The latter, in particular, gave us an epic review, which I really appreciated and, hopefully, the OP did too. In it, you will find a very interesting & thoughtful comparison between his old Boxster S and his new Spyder. In contrast to that epic post, what did you have to offer? Please take the time to read & ponder RdSpyder's post once more to understand the kind of quality response that a serious forum like this merits.

z356

Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
dchan8 is infamous around these parts
How old are you guys? I thought I left this kind of kiddie stuff when I graduated from the Honda and Toyota forums... Anyways, I've been driving and working on cars for a long time now and all I learned is that I buy a car that i like because it's for me and for me to enjoy..that is all that matters...