Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long term Boxster Spyder and S owners-How do you like it so far?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Long term Boxster Spyder and S owners-How do you like it so far?

Still searching for a replacement Pcar and currently looking at the Boxster S, and Spyder in particular, as options to purchase. I'm wondering what the impressions are from existing owners, especially long term ones. With regards to the Spyder, how about the debated top issue(s) (inconvenience, noise levels, top speed reduction,etc.)? How does the secondary top store in the car? Do you think the canvas manual top and back to basics approach possibly an asset in terms of it being a throwback to simpler times,etc. like the old MG's and Triumphs.etc.. Or do you think it's going to be a liability or a modern day question mark- like the first Viper tops,etc. (As in why did they do this-couldn't they have done it better?)
How do you think the Spyder will be perceived in the future by Porsche enthusiasts and sports car buyers in general?
Also I'm very interested in knowing driving impressions, especially from owners who have moved to the Spyder from a Boxster S or other Pcars, and those with PDK Spyders. Thanks!

Last edited by DLJ; 07-18-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: rearranged questions
Old 07-18-2011, 12:53 PM
pcw
pcw is infamous around these parts
Wow, lots of question, before I start use the search, lots of these questions have been answered many time. Also other forums cover these questions. I have had my Spyder for 14 months now, it is not my DD so the top is not a big deal to me. In the Summer months (May - Oct) I have the top off and just throw a sheet over the ****pit to keep dust etc.. out. In the winter (Nov - April) I have the top on. I live in Nor. CA so even in the winter and the sun is out, still can have the windows down and back windscreen out and great ventilation with sunshade on. If you are using as a DD, only you can answer if the manual top is going to be an issue. The noise question I always answer with, it's a convertible, of course it's not going to be as quiet as a hardtop. Wind noise doesn't and never has bother me. Both tops store in the trunk (sunshade and rear section for rain) The top, IMO is an a great piece of engineering. IMO the Spyder will be considered a classic by Porsche enthusiasts. But really the truth is a car is only as valuable as someone is willing to pay for it. With it's low production run, I have read around 600 produced in 2011 and only around 50 produced for 2012, It should hold it's valve fairly well, especially when the only way to get one is buying a used one, I heard all the 2012 are already spoken for.

This is my first Porsche, so I cannot commit on the differences between the BS and BSpyder. I will tell you if you haven't seen one in person, go look at one, pictures do not do it justice. I came across this guy at a gas station and told me he has been trying to buy a new Spyder, he has had no luck finding one. He asked me if I would be willing to sell mine I said no of course but what would you be willing to pay? I told him all the options I have and what I added (Clear Bra, window tint and wheels powder-coated black) his offer was 3K below what I have into the car, MSRP plus what I added . He was driving a late model 911, it was a nice car, but no Spyder.

Good luck,
pcw

Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 PM
balpo is infamous around these parts
longer i own and drive my BS, the better I like it. There are some things to get used to and some that need to be corrected (but are easily done). First, get the sport shifter if you have the manual - I like the car so much better with it and the more time goes on the more I like it. If I had to live with the stock shifter - I would not be happy.

The remotes for our keys are not great - mine eats batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ten years with a daily driver toyota not a single remote battery replacement. Daily driver Porsche - replace battery for key remote about every 3 to 6 months. Minor inconvenience, but not very good engineering or sublet purchasing.

PASM - sweet - the more I drive it the better I like it, but haven't got comparable experience with Spyder suspension - might like it even better.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:14 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pcw
Wow, lots of question, before I start use the search, lots of these questions have been answered many time. Also other forums cover these questions. I have had my Spyder for 14 months now, it is not my DD so the top is not a big deal to me. In the Summer months (May - Oct) I have the top off and just throw a sheet over the ****pit to keep dust etc.. out. In the winter (Nov - April) I have the top on. I live in Nor. CA so even in the winter and the sun is out, still can have the windows down and back windscreen out and great ventilation with sunshade on. If you are using as a DD, only you can answer if the manual top is going to be an issue. The noise question I always answer with, it's a convertible, of course it's not going to be as quiet as a hardtop. Wind noise doesn't and never has bother me. Both tops store in the trunk (sunshade and rear section for rain) The top, IMO is an a great piece of engineering. IMO the Spyder will be considered a classic by Porsche enthusiasts. But really the truth is a car is only as valuable as someone is willing to pay for it. With it's low production run, I have read around 600 produced in 2011 and only around 50 produced for 2012, It should hold it's valve fairly well, especially when the only way to get one is buying a used one, I heard all the 2012 are already spoken for.

This is my first Porsche, so I cannot commit on the differences between the BS and BSpyder. I will tell you if you haven't seen one in person, go look at one, pictures do not do it justice. I came across this guy at a gas station and told me he has been trying to buy a new Spyder, he has had no luck finding one. He asked me if I would be willing to sell mine I said no of course but what would you be willing to pay? I told him all the options I have and what I added (Clear Bra, window tint and wheels powder-coated black) his offer was 3K below what I have into the car, MSRP plus what I added . He was driving a late model 911, it was a nice car, but no Spyder.

Good luck,
pcw
Thanks for your thoughts. I did do some preliminary searches for previous threads. Some were early on when the Spyder was initially produced. So, I wanted to have some current opinions from Spyder and S version owners who have had some time with their cars. I am not new to a ragtop sports car, having owned Triumph and MG's in the past. I appreciate they don't filter out all the exterior noises (including happy engine sounds!), and that they take a small amount of effort to manually raise and lower the top (are we all getting a bit too soft?). So I am just trying to assess what owners are experiencing, some of whom may have never owned an old-school sports car. I appreciate your input!

Last edited by DLJ; 07-19-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:16 AM
DLJ
Originally Posted by balpo
longer i own and drive my BS, the better I like it. There are some things to get used to and some that need to be corrected (but are easily done). First, get the sport shifter if you have the manual - I like the car so much better with it and the more time goes on the more I like it. If I had to live with the stock shifter - I would not be happy.

The remotes for our keys are not great - mine eats batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ten years with a daily driver toyota not a single remote battery replacement. Daily driver Porsche - replace battery for key remote about every 3 to 6 months. Minor inconvenience, but not very good engineering or sublet purchasing.

PASM - sweet - the more I drive it the better I like it, but haven't got comparable experience with Spyder suspension - might like it even better.
Thanks for the info. Yup, I'd prefer the manual too and thought the sport shifter option would be a good one. Cheers!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:38 PM
RdSpyder is infamous around these parts
Boxster S vs Spyder

My new Spyder was delivered three weeks ago, replacing my 4/2010 Boxster S. Before then, I had been willing to get a Boxster S but put this project off because I did not want to have a manual gearbox any more (I owned a 1997 Boxster for a few years), and decided to defer and not order until Porsche produced a proper robotized or DC transmission. The 911 cabrio was never an option (too much weight, not practical enough with only one trunk, handling not good enough, too much extra to pay for a car not as good).
My Boxster S was a fantastic car but it no longer corresponded to what I was looking for. The Boxster S had a lot of options, including mechanical options (PDK, Sport Chrono +, PASM, limited slip differential, steering wheel with paddles – one of the first Boxsters produced with this new steering wheel – I actually requested a postponed production to 3/2010, as 3/2010 was the production month when the steering wheel was started to be built on the Boxster, sport exhaust, but standard brakes and wheels) and many luxury options as well. Perhaps as a result of my taking the first three courses offered by the Porsche Sport Driving School in Europe, I started to find my Boxster S too GT-oriented and not enough sport-oriented. In particular, I found the handling, the brakes and the steering, especially the brakes and the steering, too soft. My recollection is that the brake and steering feel on my 1997 Boxster was more satisfactory. My most important criticism was the brake feel. It felt as if I was hitting a sponge to a certain extent. The endurance of the brakes was also an issue, in particular when going down mountain passes at good speed.
Putting the PASM in Sport mode helped a great deal. However, I found the management of the Sport mode of the car too complex. Hitting the Sport (or Sport +) button triggers both the PDK and the PASM. Most often all I was interested in with the Sport (or Sport +) mode was the change in the management of the PDK/throttle, and not getting the super-stiffened PASM. So getting a more dynamic car meant hitting the Sport button, plus deactivating the Sport PASM setting. It became a nuisance and a cause for concern when the action was required to be completed swiftly on a road requiring all of the drivers’ attention. On this point, life is simpler on the Spyder as the Sport or Sport + mode button now only makes the car more dynamic and I no longer have to bother about the suspension setting at the same time.
Again, the Boxster S is a fantastic car. The overall performance is awesome and the ease with which it is attained just as much awesome. My Boxster S was not a car for daily drive. Yet, the comfort, performance and pleasure to drive encouraged me to use if for long drives and journeys, and even plan journeys I would not have made but for the expectation (need?) of another pleasant experience with the Boxster S. In about a year it had almost 15,000 miles. The PASM is a big plus for comfort. I must recognize that it makes a good contribution to stabilizing the car on an irregular road surface, especially tiny back roads, and allows one to drive very fast and safely on these roads. So far into my experience with its replacement (about 2,500 miles), the Spyder does not give the same level of confidence on these kinds of roads at these speeds. One aspect which makes the Boxster S clearly great is its top. It offers a quite decent level of insulation from wind, temperature and noise. The cherry on the cake is that it can be operated very quickly, in a few seconds (like my 1997 Boxster) AND as you drive, up to about 30mph. Is there any other production car that does this well? The ability to operate the roof while driving makes all the difference. It means that with any spell of nice weather, depending on your changing mood, you can open up or close down. It makes the car very versatile. That really encourages one to take it for all the journeys. It is also great in very practical situations: when making short stops (for example you go out and buy some food, or you leave the car after a refueling and get a refreshment, or you park the car and go for an errand), with the Boxster S I was not finished with my parking maneuver that the top was safely shut down then the car easily locked. It is very convenient for safety. It is also convenient for the comfort in the car as you can park in the sun with the top shut and not risk to be burned while settling back into seats long exposed to the sun upon entering the car again. The heated and ventilated seats, whether used alone or simultaneously, also contribute to making the car usable almost all year-round and under any conditions.
The Spyder is a quite different experience. For those concerned about the look and exclusivity, it definitively stands out. I was at times annoyed that my super-equipped Boxster S (at a cost exceeding that of a standard Carrera), was in the eyes of the non-connoisseur just another Boxster. It was annoying also at the time of resale, as the market generally is not sophisticated enough to appreciate how far you can build your Boxster. It did not recognize the added value of a correctly-equipped Boxster, as all Boxsters tend to be bluntly put in the category of the cheap Porsche. The substantive point is not that it may be cheaper, it is that it’s different. Perhaps the market expects nice equipment in a 997, not in a 987. Due to its look, higher base price, narrower focus, and consequently much lower sale volumes, plus the novelty of the model, the Spyder is exclusive. I would be quite surprised if any of the irritation suffered in the Boxster S would have to be suffered with the Spyder. One can argue that the Spyder is much more exclusive than any modern 911, as there will be many, many fewer Spyders on the roads while there are hordes of 997s of all sorts. The 997 is the volume model, not the Spyder.
I did not choose the Spyder only for its exclusivity as described above, although it is a welcome, deserved reward for its purist owner.
The look was a key factor though. Mine has a Carrera red interior and the new platinum grey outside paint. The combination is just stunning. The platinum grey looks better than the usual arctic grey. Arctic grey was too light in my taste and did not do sufficient justice to the great body shapes of the Spyder. Platinum grey seems also a more complex paint color, as it appears to catch and reflect light with more nuances.
A complication I had to deal with the Boxster S order, which disappeared at the time of the order for the Spyder, is the selection of the roof top color. With the Boxster S, you can agonize over the right match between outside/inside color and the color of the roof top. Life is simpler with the Spyder, as there is nothing to choose in this area.
I was ready to trade the comfort and convenience of the Boxster S for a nicer look and much sharper handling. I have not been dissatisfied so far.
As far as budget is concerned, reviews often say that the Spyder is dearer than the Boxster S. In fact, this is a fallacy. A well-equipped Boxster S turns out to be more expensive than the Spyder whose options list is much, much shorter. But for the PCCBs, my Spyder would have been cheaper than the Boxster S. You can actually build an interesting Spyder on a relative budget: white, with a manual gearbox and the standard black interior (as many are found with this configuration). A negative budget point however is insurance. All brokers solicited quoted a higher premium for the Spyder.
I did not notice any quality or finish difference between the Boxster S and the Spyder (both produced at the Zuffenhausen plant, both with a full-leather interior), although I have to deplore two quality misses on the Spyder: the first one is that the leather at the top of driver’s seat, above the Porsche crest, is rippled (probably due to excessive force applied when wrapping the bucket seat; the Porsche quality inspector told me that the Carrera red natural leather is thinner than the regular leather, and I suspect it makes it more likely to ripple and therefore requires greater care while wrapping the seat for the journey between production and delivery). The second one is a defect in the leather on the top of the dashboard, right off the airbag area, as if the skin was rubbed off on about a square inch. Yet, the factory adamantly proclaims that the leather on the top of the dashboard must be perfect or it does not leave the shop. I hope both issues are fixed by the after-sale service even though this means replacing one seat and the dashboard.
The options on my Spyder include the PDK and Sport Chrono +, steering wheel with paddles, PCCB, lithium-ion battery, but no A/C. I believe the weight of the PDK is, to a good extent, offset by the saving on the brakes and the battery.
Let us start with the handling of the Spyder. As early as the first seconds out of the Porsche dealer’s parking lot on the day I traded in my Boxster S and left with the Spyder, I immediately found a change in the handling: the steering feels much lighter. After a while, I can say that the steering feel is superb. It is much, much more precise than the Boxster S. You can almost read the road with your hands on the wheel. The bucket seat probably also help a good deal.
The brakes? Fabulous. At last I find this great feel of hitting a very strong, very direct pedal. The braking force also is a very significant improvement relative to the standard brakes on my Boxster S. The PCCB disks are those also fitted on all 997s save the GTs and the Turbo, i.e. the 350mm rotors. If they can work fine on a C4S cabrio weighing 300kg more, imagine what they can do on a Spyder. The break feel is also probably enhanced by the stiff suspension, as the car does not nose-dive. At low speeds, the car almost comes to a stop on the spot. You have to get used to it. The car also feels it has more rear brakes, which, if technically true, would be a great plus. A thorough test of the Spyder with standard brakes by a Le Mans professional driver noted that there is too much front brake, which is an annoying fact as the ABS kicks in too early at the inner wheel upon turn-in. The new braking sensation makes you feel as if a huge hand was pushing the whole of the car down when you brake (not just the nose), which provides a lot of confidence and a lot of stability. There is one little downside regarding the lighter steering and stronger brakes I can complain about: when slowing down with reasonable force over a long distance, for example when exiting a highway, vibrations make their way up to the steering wheel. I had it checked at the dealer and they found everything normal. I suspect that it is due to the steering and chassis combination which makes the steering perform a very close “read” of the road. With the big brakes, if the road surface is not 100% perfect, you can read the road surface into the steering wheel when there is extra but not too much load on the front wheels. I did not notice this nuisance when breaking strongly tough, probably because you concentrate on other more important things when you reach this stage. This would have to be followed up. One nice side aspect of the PCCBs: they do not dirty the wheels as much the regular brakes. After a while, the wheels, especially the front rims, looked dark, ugly and dirty with the regular brakes on the Boxster S. This is now a thing of the past as the rims look almost always fresh and clean.
The car feels more powerful. Even during the break-in period, I felt it had more torque, probably the benefit of a lighter car (at least 80kgs less than my former Boxster S).
Music is also better. You get to hear the intake noise (there is no longer so much insulation even with the top up, given the small plastic read window – it is also probably due to the shape of the rear trunk lid – more resonance as it covers the engine bay as well, precisely where the lid swells to form two humps?, and the fact that is in aluminum, perhaps also thinner than the steel equivalent – Porsche does not say anything in this respect.) It sounds more metallic. The exhaust note is also better. With the Boxster S, I often did not engage the Sport exhaust, because I found it added more noise but no music, defeating the real music made by the engine. With the Boxster S, I mainly enjoyed the sport exhaust while slowing down over a long distance, typically before a corner far ahead going down a mountain road. Therefore, with the Boxster S, I often preferred to stay with the sport exhaust button off, in order to enjoy the engine music especially during the (variocam-generated?) surge between 4,000 to 5,000/6,000 rpms. On the Spyder, I was startled the first time I activated the sport exhaust, while leaving a toll stop on a highway. The sound seems deeper. There is a kind of vibrato too, especially when the engine revs high. With the Boxster S sport exhaust, more noise was all there was. With the Spyder, you get a sort of strident vibration with high revs, scary at first then more enjoyable. It seems that a better balance is achieved between the engine and exhaust noise. The engine also revs more, as its maximum output, according to the factory, is reached at 7,200 in lieu of 6,400. That probably makes a difference, too, as the engine can carry a maximum load at higher revs to produce a more strident and crystal-like music.
The car feels more strongly-held, probably because it is stiffer. You sense that any action, whether on the gas pedal, the wheel or the brake has an immediate impact.
I could drive the car (mildly) on a track a few days ago and could clearly feel the enhanced precision and control over the car. You can feel you have control over the subtle nuances which separate driving fast, with a limited, finely-tuned amount of drift, from driving sloppily or too slowly. The car also feels much, much faster. The Spyder came along with Goodyear tires, which were derided as lousy by a specialized magazine in a well-done review of the Spyder set against the GT3 RS.
The PDK. On the Spyder, it seems to work better than on the Boxster S. Downshifts are smoother. It may be due to the force of the PCCBs. On the Boxster S, downshifts were not working so well, as if the gearbox was caught off-guard as it expected an upshift. It reacted to the downshift request (with the left paddle) violently. Another difference is that the PDK, in the automatic mode, tends to hold the 7th gear longer than the on the Boxster S. This can be noticed while driving at highway speeds on the cruise control. Despite a coming hill to climb, the Spyder manages to carry on in 7th while the Boxster S would have probably dropped to 6th. It may be due to the fact that the Spyder has less weight to pull, making the task of maintaining an even speed on the tallest ratio easier. Besides these points, I noticed no difference between the Boxster S and the Spyder regarding the PDK.
Regarding the PDK vs manual debate, here is my take based on almost 20,000 miles with the Boxster S and the Spyder combined. The downside of course is the budget consideration (PDK implies Sport chrono + and the steering wheel with paddles options – if you go without them, you might as well order a base, non-S Boxster and focus on comfort). However, there are many upsides: the PDK provides a 7th gear. This is great on highways. Sometimes, for example while on cruise control, when the car downshifts to 6th, I notice how noisier the car becomes on 6th vs 7th. It also gets unnecessarily responsive on 6th when one wants a relaxed drive on the highway. The extra engine noise is of course particularly noticeable on the Boxster S due to its much better insulation from outside events (on the Spyder, beyond a certain speed with the top on, engine noise becomes a secondary problem!). The PDK makes the car more comfortable, in addition to its noise-reduction contribution. Driving through traffic or even in a relaxed mode whether on roads or the highway, you can leave your left leg and your right arm to rest. The ride is smoother. The PDK also makes the car more versatile and therefore more interesting. In fact it is as if you had two cars, especially if you combine the gearbox features with the Sport and Sport + management modes. You can have a very relaxed car or you can have a very aggressive car. With the manual gearbox, you must change the gears. With the PDK, you do not have to. With the PDK (and the right steering wheel) you can change the gears anytime you want. This makes a difference. When driving sportily or very sportily, for example on mountain roads, I always use the paddles to upshift or downshift when I believe appropriate; I leave the car manage the gears at other moments. For example, I like to downshift to 3rd then 2nd when approaching a hairpin fast going down a mountain road; it makes me feel more comfortable. In Sport +, the PDK would automatically downshift but at a later point; I thus prefer to manage this type of downshifting manually, while enjoying the benefits of the Sport or Sport + mode. To those who write that with a manual you are more engaged with the car, I can say that I never feel disengaged with the car using the PDK, as I can get involved anytime I want with the proper controls. The PDK is also great as you can keep focused with both your hands on the wheel. It feels safer. It helps being more precise at the wheel. Another great point of the PDK, especially in Sport +, is that you can upshift while exiting long corners and keep your focus on the other critical elements of driving (looking far out at the corner exit and beyond, managing the throttle, etc…). The superfast and supermooth upshift makes the exit from those corners even faster and it does not disrupt the balance of the car in the middle of the corner. I am convinced that the same fast drive would be more safely performed with the PDK than with the manual, while still being a driving feat (actually one would drive way faster). The PDK also provides an absolute protection for your engine: it will never overrev beyond the redline, while this is a permanent hazard with a manual gearbox if you are too aggressive in shifting down too early (no need to worry when upshifting, though, as the redline protection is always present regardless of the gearbox type). How much Porsche would charge for replacing an engine? Many times the cost of all the PDK-related options, I suppose.
On the Spyder, the PDK makes a lot of sense. All the reviews of the Spyder I have read say the Spyder is a purist’s car and is only suitable with the manual gearbox. I disagree. Based on my experience, I suspect these comments reveal a superficial review of the car. The Spyder is a tough car. With the PDK, at least you can dilute this toughness when you want to have a relaxed ride, while having plenty to do with the Sport or Sport + modes engaged when you want to, at the touch of a button. In other words, the PDK adds a smooth element to this rough car, while not forcing you into any form of compromise. What it adds is not subtracted from another great part of the car.
Finally, on the esthetic side, have a look at the PDK steering wheel with paddles. It is a work of art. Combined with the Carrera red interior, and the black alcantara contrast at the center of the bucket seats, the inside look is stunning and an honorable match to the outside body.
In any event, I will not argue that the PDK is superior to the manual. I believe it is a question of personal preference, of taste, a subjective decision to be made on an informed basis.
The Spyder is less practical than the Boxster S. Several in-cabin storage areas were eliminated: no more storage in the doors, no more behind the seats below the place where the roof used fold itself. It means you have to find room for maps and those other practical objects you always want to carry in your car. My solution: I migrated the thick owner’s manual and other documents from the glove compartment to the shallow in the trunk, right below storage area for the top, behind the driver’s seat. Water gets into this area though, so I will end up putting the owner’s manual package in a plastic bag. I found myself sorting storage management issues like in old cars!
The bucket seats are also much less practical to get in and out than the comfort seats, although after a while you develop a technique and a not too-ugly style for the process. I am glad to have gotten rid of the electrical seats for the manual operation of the bucket seat, which allows me to quickly swing the seat fully back before exiting the car, something that took ages with the electrical seat. Of course, the bucket seats are firmer than the comfort (or even sport) seats. They provide no backrest adjustment. Yet, the bucket seats are surprisingly comfortable. The driving position is excellent, however. But it excellent when you want to get involved with the car. During a long drive on a highway, no backseat adjustment means less comfort. I tend to alleviate this nuisance by retracting the seat back a lot, which leaves more room to live with. The other remaining adjustment variable is the steering wheel, which can always be moved both ways. Here again, the reduced adjustment possibilities make the driver’s life easier. In fact, with the electrical seats on the Boxster S, I almost never found a perfect driving position, caught in between so many adjustments possibilities. This no longer true with the Spyder. The bucket seats are also a nuisance for stops by highway toll booths. You are so well maintained that you need to get the car very close to the booth at the risk of scratching one of your left wheels (which I did on my first day).
Another less practical aspect of the Spyder is the fuel tank capacity. It means you have to refuel more often, which at times can ruin the experience. For example, I recently drove back home with a half tank, having about 130 miles to cover. I was still in a great hilly area with great roads, having a fantastic time at the wheel, when the gas tank went on reserve. Out of caution had to slow down a lot and look for the next gas station, something which ruined my experience on the last leg of my trip. The bottom line: refuel completely before departing for a nice journey, allow for a great safety margin and stop any time you get to a half-tank. A half tank ought to last for a little less than 2 hours, depending on your driving, so refueling creates an nice opportunity to rest for a while.
The last less practical element is the rear trunk lid. It does not stay up alone. You have to fix it manually. This becomes unpractical when you have one hand busy, typically you would want to store your jacket in the rear trunk with one hand while opening the trunk lid with the other. It becomes more difficult. Perhaps can it become dangerous on a very windy day, as the rear trunk lid is very large and would probably be quite susceptible to swing out of control with a blast of wind.
Finally, the top question. I have described above the benefits provided by the top of the Boxster S (level of insulation and ease of operation). On the Spyder, the top makes it an entirely different car. Superficially, it contributes to its stunning look. There is no debate about this. Just park a Boxster S and a Spyder next to each other, walk round them and you will be convinced. There is not a single person to whom I have shown my Spyder with the top on who was not stunned at first sight. Beauty is highly subjective one would argue. The public reaction may be due to the fact that the shapes offered by the Spyder are quite unusual and original – with this market, cars tend to look alike. I cannot think of any production car today, regardless of price, which offers similar looks as those offered by the Spyder with the top down. In this respect, the Spyder is unique.
Unless your car never leaves the showroom, other less agreeable factors must be taken into account. With the top on, there is much more noise. The increased noise is perceptible in the high 60’s (mph), becomes annoying at around 85mph and thunder-like beyond 95mph. According to the factory, you cannot go beyond 125mph with the top on. In any event, I was scared to go beyond 115mph because I was wrapped in so much noise and remembered the factory warning, fantasizing at the thought of a roof teared off at high speeds. Of course, speed regulations have to be complied with. If you are in areas where you can drive very fast over a long distance (Germany for example), this natural speed limit at about 115mph is a drawback relative to the Boxster S which would allow you to cruise well above 150mph for long. My fix to face the noise: earplugs (as in motorcycling). It reduces the social experience when driving with a passenger though, but at least you have a choice of speed vs conversation. With the top off, noise is no longer a problem. With the top down, I noticed more draft in the back of my neck on the Spyder relative to the Boxster S. It is probably due to the shape of the side windows. The fix: I put on a scarf. The top off also allows you to go at full speed, but forget about changing your mind quickly given the time it takes to switch from the top on to the top off.
A nice feature the Spyder top system offers relative to the Boxster S is the possibility to remove the rear piece alone while leaving the top in place. It provides a lot of natural ventilation, which is great when the outside temperature is high. As the rear piece covers all the way to the side windows, it leaves quite a gap when removed and therefore permits significant ventilation. I have no A/C on the Spyder (contrary to the Boxster S which had the automatic A/C option). I believed it was not necessary. Driving experience proved me right. The removable rear piece also gives you some of the convertible experience while keeping the top on, a nuance the Boxster S does not offer as it is limited to an all-or-nothing proposition. The removal of the rear piece enables a form of simple climate control. It reminds me of English convertibles of the early years, where I could zip off the rear window and get some ventilation consequently. However, the Spyder ventilation generated by the removal of the rear piece becomes a nuisance when the temperature drops below 18 degrees C and you are on for a long highway drive. The solution: put the rear piece back in place.
The second main point about the Spyder top is its operation. Forget the quick on/off operation while driving which the Boxster S offers. With the Spyder, you have to stop, park, open both doors, open the manual rear trunk lid and perform the operation. Once the few tricks are mastered and the process is carried out without getting angry about this or that piece not falling easily in place, it can be pleasant as it provides an opportunity for the driver to get involved with the car. Some have mentioned “bondage”. This moment helps you realize that this car is special. After almost 3,000 miles with the Spyder, I can see that the top stayed on more often than what would have been the case on the Boxster S. On the very first day of getting the Spyder, I got caught by a shower while driving top off on a highway. I had to stop and seek shelter beneath a bridge in order to wait until it stopped pouring down (like one of the pictures in the nicely-made promotional literature Porsche offers). The practical result now is that, as it is more cumbersome to remove the top and put it back on, I become more conservative and leave the top on, while with the Boxster S with the flick of the button I would have put it down or up. Another nuisance I noticed was when making short stops: for example, stopping for coffee or stopping for a refueling. With the Boxster S, I used to shut down the top before ending my parking maneuver. With the Spyder, it becomes a problem to manage: either park it in a position where it can be within eye sight, or close at least the top portion of the roof. It is not convenient and will have a long-lasting impact on my experience with the car.
While it is too early for me to claim a fully equitable comparison of the Boxster S relative to the Spyder – I would have to wait an entire year through all seasons, I can summarize the difference between the two as follows: Porsche has made the Boxster S (especially if well equipped) a very comfortable, compliant car, offering awesome performance levels, very fast and safe, usable all year round even for long journeys, very practical, versatile, with a cabin that does not pale in comparison with that of the 997s. The Spyder is a different proposition. It is a special car, a real sports car. It is tough, demanding, unpractical, uncomfortable, noisy, very sharp and precise, more agile and more unstable. It is suitable for a limited range of uses. I would certainly not have the Spyder as an every day car. You get tired of it much faster than behind the wheel of the Boxster S. It offers greater sensations however. It wakes you up. To pick the Spyder means your top priority is sport, handling, performance, that you are ready to compromise all of the things you forgo not choosing the Boxster S. I did it on purpose and so far I am more than happy with the decision. The contrast between the demands the Spyder has on you and the rewards it gives you is great. It clearly triggers more emotions. It is addictive. It is perhaps even more so for an “old school” type of driver, who, as you rightly assumed, remembers the joys of driving the old English sport convertibles. In fact, for a while I was considering the purchase of an Austin Healy 3000. So far, the Spyder makes me feel I have the best of both worlds. Getting close to the feel (and, to a certain extent, look) of a pure, old-style car, with the performance, reliability, safety and warranty of a new car.
You have probably read a lot of reviews on the Spyder. Time clocked on a windy track shows that it outperforms a 2011 M3, outperforms all 997s save the GTs and Turbos, outperforms the DSG R8 V8 and is within a tie of the manual R8 V8. This speaks for itself. Keep this in mind while thinking you can drive with the top off, with the engine and exhaust howling in your back, and you can imagine the experience!
Below is a recap of the key options I had on the Boxster S and have on the Spyder, those which were dropped or kept:
· PDK, Chrono + and steering wheel with paddles (on both the Boxster S and the Spyder)
· PASM (on the Boxster S, N/A on the Spyder)
· Limited slip differential (on both the Boxster S (option) and the Spyder (standard))
· Brakes (standard metal brakes on the Boxster S, PCCBs on the Spyder)
· Battery (light battery on the Spyder)
· Wheels (standard 18 on the Boxster S, standard 19 on the Spyder)
· TPM (on both the Boxster S and the Spyder)
· Sport exhaust system (on both the Boxster S and the Spyder)
· Electric comfort seats, heated seats and ventilated seats (on the Boxster S, standard bucket seats on the Spyder)
· Various comfort and safety features: rear park assist, cruise control, bi-xenon lights, Ipod etc… plug in, 6-CDs charger, PCM with telephone module, audio +, windshott (on both the Boxster S and the Spyder, save that I dropped the CDs charger on the Spyder as the Ipod interface and Ipod use makes it useless to carry loads of CDS – at last!)
· Automatic A/C (on the Boxster S, no A/C on the Spyder)

Good luck with your choice!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:38 PM
DLJ
Thank you so much for the extensive post RdSpyder! You have been extremely generous in sharing your thoughts and impressions of the Spyder and comparisons with the S. Some more food for thought as I consider my course.
I have wanted to get back into a 911 for seven years now, preferring to acquire a 2009-2010 997 Turbo or a GT3 coupe. However, I am getting quite tired of waiting year after year, taking care of all the practical life matters, and bemoaning my lack of a Porsche. Right now my budget doesn't allow me to go with either of the 997's mentioned at this time. And, I don't want to settle for an older model Porsche again, and the accompanying repairs and maintenance costs associated with them. So, I recently started exploring other options within the Porsche lineup to try to get back in the seat. So, I decided to have another look at the Boxster/Cayman lineup. Thats when I came across the new Spyder. Hmmm, how about a convertible sports car once again, like I had thirty-plus years ago? I proceeded to read a lot of reviews and videos about the Spyder and it seems like a great alternative (perhaps a longterm one and forget about the others?).
I have driven the first generation Boxster and Boxster S, and liked them. I like the convertible experience, however, they just seemed to miss the mark for me with their rather bland styling versus the 997 TT or GT3 cars (and a lot of other sports cars out there like the Z4,etc.). But I am a strong Porsche devotee. The standard 997 cars also leave me rather cold, as the uniqueness of the older 911's seems to have evolved (regressed?) into a rather orb-like blandness. On the other hand, I do find the GT3's to be perhaps a bit over the top (and likely a police magnet) with the predominant rear wing. Having said that, I find that the performance and exhaust note of the GT3 are very compelling. So along comes the Spyder....
If the right car presented itself, I would not hesitate to go with either the manual or PDK, given your detailed description of the experience you have had with the PDK. I definitely want to have the Sport Exhaust (and Sports Chrono option if it is a PDK), and cupholders would be handy (LOL).Thanks again, and happy motoring!

Last edited by DLJ; 07-24-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:00 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
RD

What a great review....thanks

Last edited by buck986; 07-24-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Boxster S vs Spyder

Originally Posted by DLJ
Thank you so much for the extensive post RdSpyder! You have been extremely generous in sharing your thoughts and impressions of the Spyder and comparisons with the S. Some more food for thought as I consider my course.
I have wanted to get back into a 911 for seven years now, preferring to acquire a 2009-2010 997 Turbo or a GT3 coupe. However, I am getting quite tired of waiting year after year, taking care of all the practical life matters, and bemoaning my lack of a Porsche. Right now my budget doesn't allow me to go with either of the 997's mentioned at this time. And, I don't want to settle for an older model Porsche again, and the accompanying repairs and maintenance costs associated with them. So, I recently started exploring other options within the Porsche lineup to try to get back in the seat. So, I decided to have another look at the Boxster/Cayman lineup. Thats when I came across the new Spyder. Hmmm, how about a convertible sports car once again, like I had thirty-plus years ago? I proceeded to read a lot of reviews and videos about the Spyder and it seems like a great alternative (perhaps a longterm one and forget about the others?).
I have driven the first generation Boxster and Boxster S, and liked them. I like the convertible experience, however, they just seemed to miss the mark for me with their rather bland styling versus the 997 TT or GT3 cars (and a lot of other sports cars out there like the Z4,etc.). But I am a strong Porsche devotee. The standard 997 cars also leave me rather cold, as the uniqueness of the older 911's seems to have evolved (regressed?) into a rather orb-like blandness. On the other hand, I do find the GT3's to be perhaps a bit over the top (and likely a police magnet) with the predominant rear wing. Having said that, I find that the performance and exhaust note of the GT3 are very compelling. So along comes the Spyder....
If the right car presented itself, I would not hesitate to go with either the manual or PDK, given your detailed description of the experience you have had with the PDK. I definitely want to have the Sport Exhaust (and Sports Chrono option if it is a PDK), and cupholders would be handy (LOL).Thanks again, and happy motoring!

++++++
Thank you. I believe the Spyder and GT3 or GT3 RS have one thing in common: they are NOT the convenient car you can use every day. They are sports cars and imply you have to suffer more but would enjoy more when used for their intended purpose. The 997 turbo however is another story. It is very powerful, very fast and safe, but not as fun and technically demanding on its driver as the GT3s or the Spyder as a matter of fact. The 911s are no longer sports cars except the GT3s and GT2s. With the 997 Phase II, I understand there is quite a significant difference between the GT3 and GT3 RS, including regarding handling (better especially better front given the wider front track) and comfort surprisingly. I also understand they are more difficult to drive fast than the Spyder.
Good luck!

Last edited by RdSpyder; 07-25-2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-25-2011, 09:53 AM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome thread.

I too have a Spyder and love it --- but def take into consideration how big of a person you are. At 6'3" 205 lbs i am a little tight in the car. Wish it had a tad more room - if it did i would prally keep it forever.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 AM
DLJ
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Awesome thread.

I too have a Spyder and love it --- but def take into consideration how big of a person you are. At 6'3" 205 lbs i am a little tight in the car. Wish it had a tad more room - if it did i would prally keep it forever.
I'm really liking the look of your Spyder in C. White. I also like it in black (although a bit shy of the work to keep a black car up, and how any stone chips show up so much on a dark car,etc.)
Well, at the seasoned age of 56 yrs old, I have now shrunk to 5'9" and 175 lbs. so fitment into a pcar is no prob. for me. Just have to fit it into my current toy budget, officially decide to pull the trigger on something, and just do it! I have been out of a Porsche for too long.
The Spyder is growing on me as a choice these days and it is more in line with my budget than my original plans for a 997.2 GT3 or Gen. 1 TT coupe. Plus, I am thinking I might like to recapture the roadster fun I had in my youth... LOL

Old 07-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Spyder & Room

Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Awesome thread.

This a very good points. I am 5'6" and reasonably fit, and there is enough room. The 997s cabine provides more room and even the regular seats are slightly wider.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM
jacabean is infamous around these parts
if the top is an issue with the spyder. 4 to 5 grand in mods. to an S model will give you comparable performance with a little extra weight. I see lots of spyders on the used market already. in colder climates people who are not hardcore will dump them quickly. I would not buy a current boxster if i were you the all new one is just around the corner.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 AM
DLJ
Originally Posted by jacabean
if the top is an issue with the spyder. 4 to 5 grand in mods. to an S model will give you comparable performance with a little extra weight. I see lots of spyders on the used market already. in colder climates people who are not hardcore will dump them quickly. I would not buy a current boxster if i were you the all new one is just around the corner.
I see what you mean about the people unaccustomed to the old-school type of top, getting the urge to move on to either an elec. top or even a coupe, especially if they want to use the car for a daily driver or year-round car (especially in colder climates- where the Spyder isn't a winter car for pretty much everyone).
In my case I can use a roadster as a weekend/fair weather driver from spring to fall - and actually any Porsche (including coupe) I have owned (or plan on purchasing) would be just that. I'm no stranger to running a convertible in all weather from my youth ownership of Triumphs and MG's (even in winter snow) . The tops on those with their snaps, lack of any sound insulating value, leaky in rain,etc. were the norm back then. I guess we are all quite spoiled now with our power insulated tops,etc..The Spyder's top appears to be a modern take on those old roadsters - they are really meant to be driven with the top down most of the time. I found that Boxsters I have driven are actually pretty cozy with the top open at highway speeds, due to the low seating position, and lack of buffeting with the rear wind screen.
Various articles written about the Spyder seem to indicate that most writers/owners are satisified with the sunshade/top setup (and many find it's styling and fitment quite cool, and simple to use once you get used to it,etc.) Other than that, the complaints seem to be when speeds exceed 80 or so, then it gets noisy or irritating. Everyone seems pretty happy with the enhanced styling and handling/lowered stance,etc. of the Spyder vs. the Boxster S as well. Personally, I think I'd pick the styling, handling package,etc. of the Spyder and not be too concerned about the top's potential drawbacks as opposed to the S, even with adding some optional equipment/mods to try and match up with the Spyder. It think it would still miss the flair that the Spyder has-my opinion of course.

I haven't seen that many used Spyders on the market on the usual search sites like Autotrader, Cars.com and Porsche's pre-owned myself. Are there really that many for sale or are there some other spots to check out?
I am also not sure that the introduction of the new "baby boxster" effort coming from VW/Porsche is going to be all that exciting compared to the current Spyder and I haven't seen anything to compare styling-wise with the expected larger Boxster models due to debut as well. Besides that, I am interested in the used market primarily and don't really want to wait a couple more years out to get the next flavor- I think I've waited just about long enough! LOL.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DLJ
I haven't seen that many used Spyders on the market on the usual search sites like Autotrader, Cars.com and Porsche's pre-owned myself. Are there really that many for sale or are there some other spots to check out?
To be fair to jacabean's post, the truth is that over the past year there has been quite a number of Spyders on the used market* with very few miles on the odo. The reason is probably a combination of factors. But if you read carefully RdSpyder's monumental post (which might be a world record as longest entry in the forum world!), you will see he touches on all the shortcomings of this model and why it's not for everyone! In my opinion, this turnover is not necessarily bad. It means that the car will ultimately find the right owner who really understands and appreciates what this car has to offer. The prices for these used, low mileage cars have hovered around $10K under MSRP. If you compare that to the larger losses most .2 gt3 & RS owners have taken when they sold their low mileage '10 or '11 cars in the last year, the Spyder's depreciation has been relatively mild.

I am looking forward to my '12 Spyder, which should have been built last week in Zuffenhausen and will be at my US dealer in late August. Unlike RdSpyder in Paris, I ordered Air Conditioning. In our market (even California where this car will mostly live) it does come handy on certain days and in longer trips (e.g. Hwy 5 from SF to LA or Colorado to California via Western deserts). Here in the US, it could also kill resale value not to have it. So I will put up with its extra pounds & cost. I debated PCCB for a long time. This was the hardest decision I had to make on this car. In the end, I decided to go with the standard brakes (I'll explain that decision on another day). Unlike RdSpyder, I did go with a manual. So the extra weight of the A/C is offset by the lighter manual transmission as compared to his PDK car. His is still lighter with the PCCB's and the Lithium Ion battery. Overall, I thought that RdSpyder's observations were spot on and very helpful to prospective buyers.

*For the past year I have been checking almost daily the Spyder listings on Autotrader, Cars.com, Ebay and Porsche dealer websites.

Saludos, z356

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Long term Boxster Spyder and S owners-How do you like it so far?