Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of first two weeks in a Cayman S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:11 AM
saeyedoc is infamous around these partssaeyedoc is infamous around these parts
Impressions of first two weeks in a Cayman S

After a 4 month wait, my Peridot Cayman S arrived two weeks ago. I was a little nervous as I had not seen a car in that color, but my fears went away very quickly after my first glance. It looks really sharp, I think it was a good choice going with the design package, the black contrasting features really make it pop.

Interior: I find the standard seats really comfortable, plenty of support and it was very easy to find a comfortable driving position with the manual adjustments. I got the ventilated seats, and while it does help, the ventilation is not all that strong and I think next time I may skip it, may not be worth the money since you need auto a/c and heated seats to get that feature. I do like the auto a/c though, nothing to fuss with once you find a temp that's good for you.
The switch gear and trim are of very high quality, much more than the 335i I was in. All of the switches have that nice positive feel to them. The visibility is great, really no significant blind spots. The Bose system is a little weak, but I like the way the PCM system works. I don't use Nav much, but wanted integrated sat radio, so there really wasn't any choice. I also find it convenient to scan through the sat channels using the stalk on the wheel. I really like the alacantra on the sport design wheel, it doesn't get too hot after sitting in the hot TX sun all afternoon. In my last two cars, there were times where I couldn't even touch the wheel for a few minutes. The paddle shifters are nice and large and have that great positive feel to them.

Driving: Quickly got in the habit of firing the engine up, sport mode on, PASM back to standard setting and ventilated seats on. I've been driving 95% of the time in auto sport mode. The transmission is amazing, very quick smooth downshifts with small amounts of throttle input. It can be a little jerky when poking along at 5mph or less in heavy traffic. I've been trying to keep it under 4k, except for brief episodes of acceleration. I can't wait to get a few more miles on it so I can really open it up. Very happy that the road noise is minimal. The ride is firm, but very smooth, less bumpy over rough roads then my sport suspension equipped BMW. I think PASM was a great choice. The steering is so precise, handling nothing short of spectacular.

For those that think the Cayman is not a good DD, they are so wrong. There is an amazing amount of storage space, was able to get a huge package of TP, case of water and other groceries in easily. It's comfortable enough and easy to drive in traffic. Our kids have their own cars, so I don't need rear seats. For anyone who is ok with a 2-seater, it makes driving to work a pleasure every day.

In summary, I'm very happy so far, can't wait to get it on some back roads and on a track.

Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
Congratulations, that's a really cool color!