Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 CaymanR in the garage!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:22 AM
porschepro has a spectacular aura aboutporschepro has a spectacular aura about
2012 CaymanR in the garage!

Got my CaymanR yesterday
Black 6speed with silver trim
The car is amazing! I will add pictures later today.
I always drove a modified Elise or misc Audi until now...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-07-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: not enough posts or time and not in open forum
Old 08-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Thumbs up

Here she is

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
CR2.bmp (896.3 KB, 378 views)
CR1.bmp (896.3 KB, 210 views)
CR3.bmp (896.3 KB, 161 views)
Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Wow!

I have been a HPDE instructor for 15 years and have driven everything up to and including CarreraGT's, race cars, TurboS', GT2's, GT3RS' etc. The CaymanR is un-F-ing real. I just put it through it's paces for the first time in the hills and I can't believe what a deal it is!
It is a mid engined GT3! The suspension, steering, power, bushings, engine mounts, etc.. are SPOT ON! Porsche has outdone themselves!
Yesterday morning I was shopping on lotustalk for my next Lotus. It was about to be a 6,000 mile Chrome Orange 07 ExigeS. My boss asked me what I was doing. Once I told him he went to work to convince me that I could afford the CaymanR we had in stock. He said "you really need to drive what you sell". He was right. I really didn't think I could swing it but I was wrong. Telling him that there was no way I could afford the car was the right move as he was out to prove me wrong.
I just can't believe how good this car is.
With a few little mods it will be track ready as opposed to the Lotus which needs a ton of work to get it up to speed IMHO.
The other thing is that I can go on trips with the wife in the CaymanR, try that in the Lotus.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 AM
bensf1 is infamous around these parts
Beautiful and congratulations. Hope to see it at the track.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Ramluro is infamous around these partsRamluro is infamous around these parts
nice car

Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
Beautiful car, love the wing!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:25 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Very nice car. I test drove a Cayman R on an autocross course and fell in love with it. Congratulations and enjoy it!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
marcmc is infamous around these partsmarcmc is infamous around these parts
I haven't had the pleasure of driving one, but it's well reviewed in the car mags. Great pick up!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
smalapas is infamous around these parts
That looks amazing in black. I really think that's the color to have for the Cayman R. Since you're out in nor cal, which track are you taking it to first? Infineon or Laguna? I hear Thunderhill is a blast too.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:41 PM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Test drove the R they had over at Sonnen and even on a short drive, I could tell that it's a step up from the standard Cayman S.

But I dunno, as a track focused car, the Exige S is hard to beat. Yes, there is some prep involved like the oil pan, fuel tank baffle, and rear toe link, but other than that, the car is really solid and consumables are very cheap.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by spf4000
Test drove the R they had over at Sonnen and even on a short drive, I could tell that it's a step up from the standard Cayman S.

But I dunno, as a track focused car, the Exige S is hard to beat. Yes, there is some prep involved like the oil pan, fuel tank baffle, and rear toe link, but other than that, the car is really solid and consumables are very cheap.
Point well taken. I was about to pull the trigger on the ExigeS but I will go hog wild spending $$$$$$ on Any Lotus. There are so many trick parts available to lighten them up. It is totally addictive. They really are delivered from the factory with so much sub standard stuff everywhere you look. I know, I had an Elise and spent 30K bringing it up to the level that I wanted it. Evn the rearview mirror has to be replaced if you want to be able to see out the front of the car. GM sourced parts are everywhere on their cars. All that $hit has to be tossed pronto.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 PM
The CaymanR is bushed much tighter, the steering is way firmer, the steering wheel is thicker. It just feels right.
It really does remind me of a roomier ExigeS that is screwed together beautifully everywhere. The only thing that is REALLYdone right on the Lotus is the chassis, end of story(GREAT chassis though). My Lotus buddies and I would laughingly talk about what had cracked or fallen off of our cars lately(seriously).
When I asked the Lotus service tech about my rattling window he said "well it's a Lotus mate".. Wouldn't even attempt to fix it.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by spf4000

That is what is so good about the R, it can be taken to Yosemite on one weekend and then taken to T-Hill the next.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by smalapas
That looks amazing in black. I really think that's the color to have for the Cayman R. Since you're out in nor cal, which track are you taking it to first? Infineon or Laguna? I hear Thunderhill is a blast too.
I'm signed up with Audi Club at Infineon in march so far but I just joined PCA today. Do they do andy HPDE's?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
bensf1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porschepro
I'm signed up with Audi Club at Infineon in march so far but I just joined PCA today. Do they do andy HPDE's?
PCA doesn't do too many HPDE's. Lots of Porsches at Hooked on Driving and TrackMasters Racing events.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 CaymanR in the garage!