Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lightweight flywheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:07 PM
damon is infamous around these parts
lightweight flywheel

i was thinking about getting a lightweight flywheel for my 986, but many people advised me that if i do install one it may start making a bit of noise on idle and it might bother me.
i only use my boxster once a week for a quick drive round the island where i live and back. although i would like to get some more power out of my car i wouldnt like to ruin the smooth engine noise that i really like on porsches.
is it worth the hassle, (and price) just to use on the street?
anyone got any experience with the LWF on a 986?
does it improve top speed, or is it just accelleration?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Cayman Cab S is infamous around these parts
I just had one installed on my 05 boxster s, aasco lwfw, and an under drive pulley. The car is very drivable on the street and noise is not an issue. I rather like the sound even more, faint rattle on idle when standing by the motor. I have a Milltek exhaust, so the rattle is muted. The "sizzle" which others report sounds more like a pleasant whirling, clicking of marbles perhaps. The car drives like the motor is "alive", much more power in 1st and 2nd gears especially. My ECU had to adjust to the lwfw, revs dropped so quickly, the ECU would blip the throttle to keep from stalling. Now the ECU has "learned" to adjust to the lighter mass. I did this mod in conjunction with a new clutch and IMS bearing upgrade. Sadly the bearing in my car requires engine removal and splitting the case, so I skipped this. I really like this mod and think the gains are equal to headers, catback and ECU upgrade. This is with the under drive pulley. Top speed is unaffected, but you will get there quicker. If you need a clutch or IMS bearing, do it while you are in there. This is for a 987, but results would be similar for 986. The sprung hub disc MAY be used, but is not necessary, stock is very smooth. Oddly enough I like the exhaust sound even more now, not sure why this has changed, but sounds meaner.

Last edited by Cayman Cab S; 09-29-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 PM
The Youngn is infamous around these parts
^^Did you already order a new bearing when you were doing the install? And what happened with the bearing now that you said you skipped that part?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Bearing has been returned, no problem. Apparently the 986-7 transmission does not rattle like the 911's.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 AM
i was thinking to do it when ill need a new clutch.
i dont think its worth doing whilst the clutch is still ok, but once the clutch needs replacing i will most probably do it

Old 09-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
See my LWFW discussion on Pelican and Planet9 forums....as with any mod, there seems to be some significant risks associated with doing a single mass flywheel on a the M96/97 engines. I am not saying don't do it...I am just telling you that there are some differing schools of thought. Some people have done it with no issues; others have done it and and had their crank explode due to imbalance.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Karrera4, after careful consideration, I decided to go ahead. I based my decision on the odds of the IMS bearing grenading before the crank breaking. So far so good...only one week. This mod is amazing, really should come from the factory this way, or at least be an option.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Karrera 4, thanks for your info.i am now starting to have doubts if i should do it or not after reading some testimonials. there are some people who loved it and others that said it might ruin that lovely porsche engine sound and get some rattling whilst idle. i dont want my car to sound like something's wrong with it, or be hard to drive in traffic!