Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TECHART Cayman GT - walkaround and motor sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Toldi has a spectacular aura aboutToldi has a spectacular aura aboutToldi has a spectacular aura about
Cool TECHART Cayman GT - walkaround and motor sound

Hi Porsche Cayman Lovers,

have a nice HD video for you.

A black TECHART Cayman GT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWWhgyIGjGc

Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Airdoc is infamous around these parts
Out of curiosity, has anyone taken a car with one of these tech art kits up to high speed? I recognize that it is mostly cosmetic, but the downforce provided by the rear wing is going to be very real. I don’t see much on the front of the car to balance it out. It seems like the car would destabilize.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Toldi has a spectacular aura aboutToldi has a spectacular aura aboutToldi has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Airdoc
Out of curiosity, has anyone taken a car with one of these tech art kits up to high speed? I recognize that it is mostly cosmetic, but the downforce provided by the rear wing is going to be very real. I don’t see much on the front of the car to balance it out. It seems like the car would destabilize.
????
NO!!!!

TECHART is testing all componentes in the wind channel!

Every part is highspeed ready!!!!

I even saw and drove this TECHART Porschs!

So believe me!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:34 PM
clee is infamous around these parts
TechArt tests all their aero stuff in wind tunnels for stability, but I would say its over overall looks and not performance. Most Caymans are probably faster around a track without the aero bits.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
First, I mean no offence. Whatever anyone does to their car that allows them to enjoy it more is fine by me.
Porsche claims their Cayman aero kit has been wind tunnel tested for “optimal” down force on the car (this is now standard on the Cayman R). This allows them to:
1.) Charge an outrageous amount of money for the product. (I should know because I bought one.)
2.) Refuse to sell the rear spoiler separate from the front splitter by saying it would unbalance the car.
I also note that the Porsche aero kit spoiler is much smaller than the Tech Art product. So I guess “optimal” is in the eye of the beholder. Interestingly the Tech art rear spoiler is similar in size and scope to the spoilers placed on the Cayman Interseries cars. However, the interseries cars have massive front splitters which I assume balance the down force.
If the car becomes unbalanced it may not become apparent until you reach speed in excess of 100mph. Again, these are just observations, and no offence is intended. I am just curious as to what people have to say.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 PM
medtech is infamous around these parts
Well, I think you're missing one important factor, and that's DRAG. Under 100MPH that wing is an "airbrake". Porsche takes into consideration that 99% of owners will be driving around town and not racing, so Porsche designs pieces that give the most downforce with the least drag.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by medtech
Well, I think you're missing one important factor, and that's DRAG. Under 100MPH that wing is an "airbrake". Porsche takes into consideration that 99% of owners will be driving around town and not racing, so Porsche designs pieces that give the most downforce with the least drag.
Good point. That’s also why the original spoiler retracts and then deploys at a certain speed.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 AM
For the record, I’m not trying to prove anything about the kit that I have vs. others. In fact I’ve become more open minded about the larger rear wing recently so I am just looking at them with more of a critical eye.