Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R vs Audi TT RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 PM
sprinter is infamous around these parts
Cayman R vs Audi TT RS

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the Cayman R and the Audi TT RS. I am torn between the two.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 PM
huy
huy is infamous around these parts
you haven't driven them yet, have you? one is a pure drivers car, the other is very capable but less of a drivers car... two very different cars. what type of car do you like?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:21 PM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
If you're torn, it must be purely visual. They aren't anything alike. Go drive both and you'll be drawn to one or the other.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:08 PM
HugoGTO is a jewel in the roughHugoGTO is a jewel in the roughHugoGTO is a jewel in the rough
I just drove the Cayman R, fantastic! Never driven the TT RS but I doubt that they'll compete on pavement, maybe on paper but not on pavement.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:13 PM
donistook is infamous around these parts
Cayma R versus TT-RS

I was at Chicago when Porsche and Audi both displayed the Cayman R and the TT-RS.
I can speak for the TT-RS because I bought one. While the 0-60 time of 4.1 (actually, I have seen 3.9) is realistic, I have yet to hit the claimed 174 mph top end....I have no doubt that it will do it. The brakes are fantastic, and the car at full throttle is very exotic. I think the Cayman R would sound a little better under normal throttle.
But...software puts the TT-RS a little over 400 hp, and a light exhaust change should put it in the 420-430 range. The car weighs more than the Cayman, but the acceleration is Porsche turbo territory.
The Audi magnetic ride gives it race car handling (I know, I race in World Challenge, and have done so in Grand -Am, IMSA, Rolex GT, etc.)

My RS fully equipped with Nav etc. Was $65k.

My thoughts.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:26 PM
StockKiller is infamous around these parts
Well, I own 2012 Caymen R.. Can't speak for the Audi TT but just drove the R8 n Vegas on the track.. I would still choose the Cayman R.. And over several other cars.. I'm gonna be a Porsche guy for life I think.. You just can't go wrong with a Porsche! Any Porsche! Just my opinion.. Exotics offer a wow factor but they come with a price.. If a Porsche can't put a smile on your face, than there's something wrong with your personal wiring..I recommend the Porsche Driving School at Barber Motorsports if you have the time.. You'll get a lot of personal questions answered for yourself plus hav a Lot of fun

Last edited by StockKiller; 11-13-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Slowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond reputeSlowcart has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by donistook
I was at Chicago when Porsche and Audi both displayed the Cayman R and the TT-RS.
I can speak for the TT-RS because I bought one. While the 0-60 time of 4.1 (actually, I have seen 3.9) is realistic, I have yet to hit the claimed 174 mph top end....I have no doubt that it will do it. The brakes are fantastic, and the car at full throttle is very exotic. I think the Cayman R would sound a little better under normal throttle.
But...software puts the TT-RS a little over 400 hp, and a light exhaust change should put it in the 420-430 range. The car weighs more than the Cayman, but the acceleration is Porsche turbo territory.
The Audi magnetic ride gives it race car handling (I know, I race in World Challenge, and have done so in Grand -Am, IMSA, Rolex GT, etc.)

My RS fully equipped with Nav etc. Was $65k.

My thoughts.
Is your TT-RS a manual transmission car? Do you plan to use aftermarket software and if so will it be APR or other? Thanks for you review and would like to see more of your opinions of your Audi if you care to share and any pics wolud be great.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
It depends on what you want. One has great straight line speed, the other handles better than most cars on the planet. Build quality is similar - both are high-end autos. Both have similar storage space. You could cram two tiny people in the back 'seat' of the TT-RS in an emergency, only room for two in the Cayman. The Audi is easier to get in and out of as it sits higher off the ground. The Audi costs less and will likely be less expensive to maintain. The Audi is only available as a 6-speed in the US, the Cayman has the option of PDK.

I traded my TT-RS for a Boxster Spyder and have not had any regrets.

You really can't go wrong - both are great cars. Drive both and you will know which one is right for you. But you better act quickly - they are both hard to find.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:22 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
If it's your only 2nd+ car I'd go Cayman R, better driving feel and more sporty. If it's your daily, the TTRS is the way to go for rain, light snow and larger trunk.

TTRS- more sholder room, and you can tilt the seat back more since it's a 2+2.

Cayman R- the sport bucket seats are hard to get in and out and unless you like sitting at 90 degrees and you don't plan to track, i'd say opt for the regular sport seats. I'd also recommend the short shifter since the original is a tad long if you're going manual.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:55 PM
clee is infamous around these parts
my opinion:

if you want a quick comfortable daily driver: TT-RS

if you want a part-time track car and daily driver: Cayman R