Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boxster drilled brake discs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 PM
damon is infamous around these parts
boxster drilled brake discs

i have a set of drilled brake discs on my 986, but since installing them 2 years ago i already had to skim them twice. the reason being that i start getting steering judder after some heavy braking from highway speeds.
my mechanic told me that its beacuse the material of the discs is not of original quality, so now he suggested i change the front discs.
but i dont know what to get.
i think the safest will be to install a set of original brembos, but they dont do them drilled, and i really like the look of the drilled ones.
someone suggested sebro german brake discs, anyone has experience with them?
is warping an issue with all drilled discs, or is it just the inferior material that causes discs to warp.
i also have a set of ebc red stuff pads.
could it be them that are causing the discs to warp, maybe theyre too harsh?
any suggestions please?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:48 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
While not on my Boxster, but have used aftermarket rotors in other cars (that I tracked) without issues. As long as you go with a reputable brand (i.e., not the no-name brand you find on ebay for cheap) sold by reputable shops, you should be fine.

As for vibration/shaking... that could be a number of things... from improperly torqued wheels to build up in pads. If you've turned the rotors 2x and still experience shakes during brakes, it's likely not your rotors. BTW, I've never had to turn rotors.. some swear by turning rotors when they change pads... but I have never had to do that (and know many others who also don't turn rotors).

Some brands you'll find at reputable shops: ATE, Zimmerman, Sebro. Drilled rotors are prone to cracking due to heat... I plan to swap to slotted rotors (instead of drilled) at my next change.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 AM
damon is infamous around these parts
the current ones i have are zimmerman.
after turning them they would be fine, but after some heavy high speed braking the steering starts juddering under braking.
could it be that the ebc red stuff brake pads are too harsh?