Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona and my Cayman R!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:05 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Manifold
StockKiller,

Do you have the ceramic brakes or standard brakes? And how did the brakes hold up with the track use? Any noticeable fade? Glowing hot? I recall reading one reviewer reporting that the standard brakes may not be quite up to the task on the track.
my .02...
I found Daytona to be one of the easiest on brakes, the high speed oval allows the brakes to cool quicker, similar to Sebring. Homestead is very hard on brakes lots of stop/go and not to much speed on the straights compared to the other tracks. Stock 4 piston with Giro 350 mm Steel slotted rotors with PFC 01 pads for me.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 AM
StockKiller is infamous around these parts
Manifold, on the brakes, i have the steel brakes... Ive done a lot of research on this but ive been told by most porsche track drivers ( weekend warriors), stay with the steel.... I know there's an ongoing debate on the GT3 thread about PCCB, but it's the cost to repair/replace them.... quotes anywhere from $12k-$16k...
I need more time in the car to really comment on the brakes...
I did do a couple test runs from 145mph down to 90 then 145 down to 75mph...
I almost blew through the bus stop/chicane, and then the re entry turn from the front straight, it was interesting.... the car wiggled and hoovered, i didnt know how far to trust it... the brakes do work but it's about really finding it's limits.... of course i would like the PCCB but i dont want to pay for them on a long term basis... i dont know? How are you enjoying your car? I love mine and im very content with this car for a few years.... I need to check into get track day insurance... I bought this car to track it and track it i will....

Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by StockKiller
Manifold, on the brakes, i have the steel brakes... Ive done a lot of research on this but ive been told by most porsche track drivers ( weekend warriors), stay with the steel.... I know there's an ongoing debate on the GT3 thread about PCCB, but it's the cost to repair/replace them.... quotes anywhere from $12k-$16k...
I need more time in the car to really comment on the brakes...
I did do a couple test runs from 145mph down to 90 then 145 down to 75mph...
I almost blew through the bus stop/chicane, and then the re entry turn from the front straight, it was interesting.... the car wiggled and hoovered, i didnt know how far to trust it... the brakes do work but it's about really finding it's limits.... of course i would like the PCCB but i dont want to pay for them on a long term basis... i dont know? How are you enjoying your car? I love mine and im very content with this car for a few years.... I need to check into get track day insurance... I bought this car to track it and track it i will....
Good to hear that the steel brakes are holding up so far. I also find the cost of the ceramics to be daunting.

I'm loving our CR. It's supposed to be my wife's DD and my track car, with our 911 being my DD. But now I'm thinking that I might want to trade with her.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 PM
good luck! Its a fun car! and you know it! Im tormenting myself with how do i keep this car long term (forever) and still make room in my drive way for an RS? the wife already thinks i have probelms....
I have the Alpina B7, this is a very hard car to just get rid of.... but im on a 3 year timeline right now.... Im gonna track as often as possible and just hope for the best.... eventually im gonna buy another truck, for trailing my Porsche's ( plural, i usually dont have just one of anything) so i have a feeling the B7 will get axed after the extended warranty expires or unless i find barn to store it in...

Old 12-07-2011, 05:55 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
question re tire blowouts at daytona.

ive never been to daytona but have driven about 10 different tracks (including nascar ovals), about 100 total days over 15 yrs and have never seen anyones tire blow out. is daytona that extreme that tire blowouts are routine? very scary if so

Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't say there routine, when I first got there the veteran's were going around telling everybody to run 3-4 more pounds than normal and add another few psi for the right rear. That day I was there 3 different tires blew? (lucky they were all spins - no damage other than rims) When I was passing someone on the oval up high on the bank and as I was going around them I noticed the tire side walls of the right rear were on a 30 degree angle from the rim - like it was being pressed off the rim?? only doing 145 at that time but when I saw that I backed off and waited until the straight to pass him?? Maybe something to do with the 30+degree bank combined with the g force?

Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
2 much, ditto... i saw something similar but just keeped on going with my finger crossed and the gas pedal mashed... but what was interesting was coming out of the bank almost full speed with my head down only to look up and see white smoke and tire debri covering the whole track then seeing the white martinig racing cayman facing back towards us then realizing im near 158 mph trying to dodge tire treads and realizing how fast im driving into this with 2 cars ahead of me who are already slowed down to about 75 mph... i did run a large piece of tread and it dislodged my rear mudflap and cracked it.. oh well... tire pressure heads up was important info to me, i heeded it... i cant to get back on that track.... gonna run all of chinns dates at sebring barring any mishaps with the car...

Old 12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
wow, daytona speeds are completely different than pocono. havent been there in few yrs but i think 115 mph in banking was about it. definitely not 150+ since i got that at end of strait after the banking.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by fcar348
wow, daytona speeds are completely different than pocono. havent been there in few yrs but i think 115 mph in banking was about it. definitely not 150+ since i got that at end of strait after the banking.

Yea it took some getting use to, smooth surface though, I did look down once to check the speed (seemed fast) on the front straight 173 . Amazing how quick you get comfortable on such a nice track. Add to your bucket list

Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by StockKiller
2 much, ditto... i saw something similar but just keeped on going with my finger crossed and the gas pedal mashed... but what was interesting was coming out of the bank almost full speed with my head down only to look up and see white smoke and tire debri covering the whole track then seeing the white martinig racing cayman facing back towards us then realizing im near 158 mph trying to dodge tire treads and realizing how fast im driving into this with 2 cars ahead of me who are already slowed down to about 75 mph... i did run a large piece of tread and it dislodged my rear mudflap and cracked it.. oh well... tire pressure heads up was important info to me, i heeded it... i cant to get back on that track.... gonna run all of chinns dates at sebring barring any mishaps with the car...
Going this weekend? I'm signed up and hope my car will be ready...