Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peace of mind purchased....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 PM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by boost951
Anyone here actually filed a claim with them. Just did a quick search and found this.
http://complaintwire.org/Complaint.a...GgDOdgjMRAeSZw

Don't mean to scare anyone. I've been looking to get one myself since my warranty expires this year.
I spoke with them about everything. Every company has complaints and those who feel they've been wronged. If you comply with the policy - regularly scheduled maintenance, keep the vehicle in proper upkeep, don't track it and the other policy requirements - then you're fine. If you fail to change your oil and then want them to cover an internally oiled part - it won't happen. I read lots of the complaints and they fall into that which does not comply. I was satisfied with the answers I received. Hostess gets complaints about their twinkies, but that won't stop me from eating them.

Last edited by MileHigh986; 01-09-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by m3e46freak
^ I am waiting on a call back from Direct. If not, I will buy a 4/48 with my dealership here for 2500...which is still not bad I think.
Good job.

Last edited by MileHigh986; 01-09-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
You're welcome. My agent, as evidenced by others, will do his best to get you a great deal.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:02 AM
gpa311 is infamous around these parts
Sounds like a good deal.

Will probably pay for itself (and then some) if you keep the car and stay within the mileage parameters.

GPA

Old 01-10-2012, 12:15 PM
shifterkartracr is infamous around these parts
Got a quote from Direct Buy also:
5yr/ 75k miles for $2389
3yr/ 45k miles $2089

They said IMS is covered. Waiting on hard copies of documents so I can go through it before I make a decision.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 PM
shifterkartracr is infamous around these parts
I plan on keeping the car for awhile but the only thing that keeps me from doing so are all the unfortunate engine failures that I see and have read on the different forums. I dont track the car (my shifter gets my track thrills) and is primarily my weekend car (Daily drove it for about 7 months-loved it, then started using my 4runner again as for my daily), with occasional use during the week. So as the OP has mentioned its for a piece of mind.

I might go with the 5yr just pending some questions answered by the rep.

(BTW I just hit 60K on my 06CS and I bought it at 46K last year.)

Last edited by shifterkartracr; 01-10-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Anyone who would like to review the Direct Buy contract, can go here. https://www.directbuywarranty.com/pd..._agreement.pdf

This is what you will receive in the mail. I received it from them on-line and then with the written confirmation via mail. As we are getting somewhat of a "group rate" because Denver Steve posted up last week, thanks Steve. The broker to speak with (I did at Steve's suggestion) is Adam Davis. Drop Steve Crain's name and hel'll throw you what he can. All of the prices he's given so far have been great. I'm getting mine this week, I believe.

Last edited by MileHigh986; 01-11-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 PM
GeorgeDean is infamous around these parts
I called DirectBuy today....

Couple thoughts...

1. Its not an exlusionary policy. I'm not a fan of "if the component is listed, its covered.". They have a "covered components list" AND a "exclusions" list. I asked, what if a part breaks that is NOT in the "covered components" list AND is NOT listed in the "exclusions"... his reply "thats not possible". And... I couldn't get him to answer "which list takes precedence?" Hmmmm I do not see where is STATES anything about IMS..... its not in the covered OR the not covered. Red flags. I just sent an email about the IMS specifically.

2. The price is almost TOO good to be true... I got a quote for a 6 year/100K warranty for $2000 with a $100 deductible or $2400 with zero deductible.

He did say "I can see there is a 4% chance we have to replace the engine on your car. We will take that chance for $2000"

George

Last edited by GeorgeDean; 01-12-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 PM
DBW... Section VI Paragraph B.. "B. ANY REPAIR OF A SYSTEM, ANY EQUIPMENT OF PART IF IT IS DETERMINED THAT THERE IS A REASONABLE MECHANICAL PROBABILITY THAT THE CONDITION CAUSING THE FAILURE EXISTED PRIOR TO OR AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE OF YOUR CONTRACT, WHETHER KNOWN OR UNKNOWN AT THE OF PURCHASE OF YOUR CONTRACT."

"UNKNOWN".... sounds like a MAJOR loophole....

Compare with Costco wording.. "ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN WHICH EXISTED OR WAS CAUSED BY A CONDITION KNOWN TO YOU ON OR PRIOR TO THE CONTRACT PURCHASE DATE."

Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Bottom line is I will not buy a Cayman S 2008 or older without an extended warranty. I have a good feeling about cars, but I need something to cover my butt, I have already factored in a price cap for myself for when I get he warranty/techart wing/front bumper and lowering springs I need the warranty and I need it to cover the **** that breaks !
I did this analysis.

(Private Party Car Purchase Price + Great Warranty) < (Retail Price at Dealership for comparable car with or without warranty)

Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM
I was told you have to sell your car to the Porsche dealership, pay to get the car to CPO status, and then the dealership will sell you the car BACK plus the warranty cost PLUS sales tax!

Ouch

Last edited by GeorgeDean; 01-12-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 PM
That doesnt sound like a solution lmao
My thought exactly.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I am calling Porsche in the morning for CPO from them, feel a bit safer...but damn the 2100 for 4/80,000 sounds great From Direct buy, but what about costco again? You were comparing earlier...
Read my first post. The initial price is MORE than I want but I wanted to lock in the longest period possible. I can always get a refund for the unused portion. It turns out to be $75 a month Heck, I spent $100 a week in BLOW money pretty easily as it is! I'll save $75 a month by doing my own oil changes and details too!

Things are usually cheap for a reason.

I am sitting down and reading the costco policy again.

I had my dad (the smartest guy in the world I think) read it too. Never hurts to get dad's advice even though I am 42!

George

Last edited by GeorgeDean; 01-12-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
I am calling Porsche in the morning for CPO from them, feel a bit safer...but damn the 2100 for 4/80,000 sounds great From Direct buy, but what about costco again? You were comparing earlier...

please report back!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:37 PM
George, well you read it and have your dad read it, and then I will read it and together maybe we can rule between the two for a solid answer on the perfect course of action. Also, I guess I will have to check out COSTCO down the street.
http://www.costcoauto.com/vpp/default.aspx

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Peace of mind purchased....