Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peace of mind purchased....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 PM
GeorgeDean is infamous around these parts
Peace of mind purchased....

OK.... bought a 2004 Boxster with 30K on the clock a week ago.

I have been driving it scared with the known issues out there (IMS mainly). I was debating guardian, ims retro, forget about it, warranty.. PLUS, the cost of nearly any part would make any grown man cry. I decided to go the warranty route and sleep well. I made sure I bought the car "right" so I had room to buy a warranty.

SO... I decided to buy an extended warranty for the amount of time I expect to own it...

• 6 year/60K warranty.
    60 day 100% money back guarantee (reading contract with fine tooth comb and still doing some research)
  • Exclusionary Policy.
  • Prorated Refund if requested. (Even if you have had claims)
  • Transferable.
  • Immediate Coverage.
  • Includes wear & tear (EX. a window motor is starting to go out and Porsche says its operating less than factory specs - the warranty replaces the motor now - not when it quits)
  • Includes seals & gaskets
  • Includes diagnostics of covered parts
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Towing & Rental Car
  • Travel Interruption
  • No cap on hourly mechanics rate (I said "most Porsche mechanics are near $150 an hour" - they said "no problem, there isn't a cap as long as its at an approved repair shop like a dealership")
  • Direct payment to repair shop

I called and discussed the IMS with a claims adjuster. Covered.

$4500 with $250 deductible (my choice on the $250 - they have zero and $100 I think).. that's like $75 a month. No interest 18 month payment plan.

I could have selected 36/36 for $3137. 48/48 for $3808. I still have 60 days to decide to qualify for the 100% refund.

Its covered til 12/20/2017 or 90K on the odometer.

From all my research, I could not find a complaint about the Costco warranty program. I searched all the Porsche forums possible.

FYI.. their phone is 877-900-9025.

This puts me in the car about $24K... a little more than I wanted.

Just sharing......

George

Last edited by GeorgeDean; 01-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:15 PM
More info.. the policy can be cancelled and prorated refund given EVEN if you have had a claim...

I asked specially... he replied ,"yes, but we try not to sell that feature as a reason to buy the policy BUT it IS written that way for Costco members"

Last edited by GeorgeDean; 12-21-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 PM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
For those folks in Maryland, I just called and Costco does not cover MD yet. They hope to cover this state in the next few months however. They can give "Budgetary" pricing based upon NJ or PA rates.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:38 PM
shifterkartracr is infamous around these parts
Great info! Thank you!

I wonder if California is covered.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by shifterkartrace
Great info! Thank you!

I wonder if California is covered.
I think these CAN be very expensive machines we own... I think to know this is covered for six years is super nice. Who knows, MINE may NEVER have an issue.

Since I can not afford a 2009+, I think adding this warranty is smart.... after all, my 2004 is ALREADY 7 years old... Amazing I can get it under a warranty til its 13 years old!

18 month no interest payment plan if you want.

George

Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
mrmuddy is infamous around these parts
Not Avail in Ca. I just went on their web site.. Perhaps not suprisingly, there's a lot of these guys that won't do biz in Ca.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 PM
ACRB is infamous around these parts
So- for us living in California, what would be a good option if Costco is unavailable?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by ACRB
So- for us living in California, what would be a good option if Costco is unavailable?
+1

Yup I'd like to know as well... Thank you...

Old 01-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Audi R8 is infamous around these parts
In for infomation

Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
COSTCO simply "brokers" or allows the warranty to be sold in their stores. Not that this changes the extended service agreement but it isn't a COSTCO policy. I called them and went with Direct Buy Warranty service. They gave me a 5 year, 100,000 mile extension, zero deductible, bumper-to-bumper (excluding wear and tear) including seals. $2,600. I can live with that. Makes me accelerate a little faster.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Audi R8 is infamous around these parts
WOW^ thats an incredible deal. I would like to get my hands on something just like that. Just find my nearest costco and question them?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m3e46freak
WOW^ thats an incredible deal. I would like to get my hands on something just like that. Just find my nearest costco and question them?
For Direct Buy Warrany you have to call them. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you my broker's information. I don't endorse them, I just have my policy through them.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by denversteve
For Direct Buy Warrany you have to call them. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you my broker's information. I don't endorse them, I just have my policy through them.
I wonder if they cover California, since Costco, as previously mentioned, does not cover California

Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM
mrmuddy is infamous around these parts
So.. I just contacted Direct Buy Warranty . via their toll free #...

I live in Ca. and just purch a 6 year / 72K mile extention for my 08 Cayman.. Zero deductible.. Warranety is " exactly the same as the factory warranty " ( a direct quote from the rep ).. No cap on labor .. in fact they " recommend that you take any repairs to a Porsche dealer" ( again, their words) Warranty is transferable/ refundable ( for non used portion ) w/o proration, etc.. For ............ $2999.00 He also offered me a 5 year / 60K mile for $2599.. I was REALLY impressed !

Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 PM
boost951 is infamous around these parts
Anyone here actually filed a claim with them. Just did a quick search and found this.
http://complaintwire.org/Complaint.a...GgDOdgjMRAeSZw

Don't mean to scare anyone. I've been looking to get one myself since my warranty expires this year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Peace of mind purchased....