Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaving the Cayman S for a '12 C63 AMG coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 PM
P-car Fan is infamous around these parts
Leaving the Cayman S for a '12 C63 AMG coupe?

I've had a 2011 Porsche Cayman S for 18 months, and I'm thinking of putting it on swapalease.com and picking up a '12 C63 AMG coupe. Anyone driven both and have some comparisons?
I like the Cayman a lot, but the lack of interior space is wearing on my some and it's a little rough of a ride for a daily driver (I drive around 15k miles a year).
I'm thinking the C63 coupe may be a good solution with the larger interior and back seats, and it doesn't hurt that it's significantly faster (maybe not around a road course, but that doesn't concern me as much as every day speed, such as acceleration and minor twisties). Also, the payment should be $100 cheaper a month

Any suggestions? I know I need to test drive the C63 coupe, but I'm having a hard time finding them in the dealers.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
For me it's like asking to compare apples and oranges. If you like one over the other go with that. I research my vehicle purchases for months or years and don't buy until I KNOW that vehicle is for me. It's too easy to look across the parking lot and say "I'd sure like to have that Viper because it......". I know when I pull the trigger on a vehicle that I've made all the comparisons between that vehicle and every other vehicle I would consider. Once that is done, I don't have anything to regret or lust after. It sounds like the Cayman may not be for you. Now you have to find what is. I also would never pay someone car payments. When that becomes a factor you (like you stated) start comparing one over the other based on payment vs. need/want/enjoyment. There's always something cheaper.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
I can see where you are coming from. I have been thinking about the same thing actually.....the new C Coupe is just a hot car and for me at 6'3" i think it might be more comfy than my CR

Old 01-18-2012, 05:36 AM
CCns23 has a spectacular aura aboutCCns23 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
I can see where you are coming from. I have been thinking about the same thing actually.....the new C Coupe is just a hot car and for me at 6'3" i think it might be more comfy than my CR
Bite your tongue young man.... you are NOT getting rid of the CR. At least not till we get a photoshoot done with my CS....

Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 AM
nismo-gtr is infamous around these parts
even tho c63 coupe is a monster. i still prefer the porsche

Old 01-19-2012, 05:41 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
I currently have a Cayman R and '11 C63 sedan. The two are very different cars.

If you need more space and love muscular torque, the C63 is great. But the handling of the Cayman is so superior to the C63 that I don't really get much enjoyment out of driving the C63 on curvy roads any more. The Cayman is a proper sports car, whereas the C63 is a sports sedan (coupe is similar to the sedan).

If you want to go in the direction of a C63, I'd get a Nissan GT-R instead.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 AM
P-car Fan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Manifold
I currently have a Cayman R and '11 C63 sedan. The two are very different cars.

If you need more space and love muscular torque, the C63 is great. But the handling of the Cayman is so superior to the C63 that I don't really get much enjoyment out of driving the C63 on curvy roads any more. The Cayman is a proper sports car, whereas the C63 is a sports sedan (coupe is similar to the sedan).

If you want to go in the direction of a C63, I'd get a Nissan GT-R instead.
Good point about the GTR, I'll definitely look at that one day, but it's a little difficult to get over the fact that it's a Nissan for me

For now, I'm staying with my Cayman, I think I get the "itch" after a couple years for something different, but in this case, I like the Cayman to much to move on right now

Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P-car Fan
Good point about the GTR, I'll definitely look at that one day, but it's a little difficult to get over the fact that it's a Nissan for me
I drove a 2009 GT-R recently and felt that it does pretty much everything the C63 aims to do, except better. And I hear that the 2012/2013 GT-R is better still. IMO, in this case the Nissan badge just means you're saving a lot of money.

I should also say, though, that the 991S may still be an overall superior car compared to the GT-R, and for not a lot more money.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:20 PM
cay-man-ess23 is infamous around these parts
driven both. . . Both are great machines. Porsche is an elite group of buyers. MB isn't a car for car guys. . . it's for Grandma and Grandpa to drive. . . stick with the Cayman. . .

Old 02-01-2012, 10:07 PM
AMG101 is infamous around these parts
An MB AMG isn't a car for car guys? Elite group? Remember we are talking about AMGs...it is only a cayman...great car, handling is amazing but slow compared the the Merc.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
Cayman S or 2012 M3 coupe with competition wheels.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
Come on guys, this car is not much more on a lease...

Old 02-04-2012, 11:26 AM
khooni is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Manifold
I drove a 2009 GT-R recently and felt that it does pretty much everything the C63 aims to do, except better. And I hear that the 2012/2013 GT-R is better still. IMO, in this case the Nissan badge just means you're saving a lot of money.

I should also say, though, that the 991S may still be an overall superior car compared to the GT-R, and for not a lot more money.

too right. my bro is getting the 2013 GTR. I would have said exactly the same thing owning the same cars as you do. The Cayman is a pure sports car, the c63 is not.... the 2013 GTR will both be faster and more satisfying, I can't wait to drive it through some nice bends.

also given the optimistic Nissan pricing, it will be quite rare.

as said above, it is no longer a bargain..... not overpriced for what it is , just no longer a bargain

Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Stephen S is infamous around these parts
I have a CS as well as a CLS55AMG and the feel of those cars is so different its like being on another planet. The MB is a hammer and the CS is a switchblade... both fun in their own way but the driving experience is totally different.