Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3M Scotchgard for new Cayman?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 PM
PM3D is infamous around these parts
3M Scotchgard for new Cayman?

I just received my 2012 Cayman yesterday and a neighbor told me about a 3M product (I presume it is the Scotchgard Paint Film Protector) to prevent rock chips . I notice the dealership seemed to have put two pieces of it in front of the air intakes on the sides of the car. I wondered what people's opinions were on getting it applied to the front of the car. I'm worried because my Cayman is the standard black color and I wonder it will reduce the shine to the car, and leave really obvious seams. Does anyone have experience/thoughts on this?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PM3D
I just received my 2012 Cayman yesterday and a neighbor told me about a 3M product (I presume it is the Scotchgard Paint Film Protector) to prevent rock chips . I notice the dealership seemed to have put two pieces of it in front of the air intakes on the sides of the car. I wondered what people's opinions were on getting it applied to the front of the car. I'm worried because my Cayman is the standard black color and I wonder it will reduce the shine to the car, and leave really obvious seams. Does anyone have experience/thoughts on this?
Yes, it's called a 'clear bra'. The 3M product is the one I have on both Porsches and it seems quite good. One car is white and the other is macadamia brown, and seams aren't noticeable with either car. I do recommend getting it. Just be sure that the installer is experienced and has a good reputation.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 AM
ptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of lightptmobile is a glorious beacon of light
Definitely a great product to get for the Cayman. There are some much better films to get than 3M. Ventureshield Ultra, Avery Nano Fusion, and the new Xpel Ultimate films are all very good.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM
TUK
TUK is infamous around these parts
I just had my 2010 Cayman wrapped with Xpel ultimate. Had the full front (bumper, full fenders, full hood, mirrors) plus roof and area around intakes. Had the factory 3m film on rear fenders removed since it had yellowed already. I can't give a review regarding durability yet but as far as appearance goes...I can't even tell it's on there, even from a couple feet away. From what I've researched it's one of the best films currently available. Self healing and very durable i've been told.

I would do your research as well and also get the best installer in your area to work on your car. I think it's worth it to pay a bit more for an experience installer.

Good luck and congrats on the new ride!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 PM
TUK
TUK is infamous around these parts
May also want to consider protecting your new windshield. Are Porsche windshields softer than others? Seems like mine was taking a pretty good beating. I had the shop put Clearplex on mine.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 PM
yo_clarkie is infamous around these parts
It will save some chips, I have a factory installed clears in the same place on my Boxster, the other place that picks up chips is the sill about a third of the way back flicked up from the front wheels. Means you need to have the rocker repainted every couple of years, so might want to look at covering the rocker panel also.

Check out a higher milage example to see the problem areas :-)

Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 PM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
It's well worth it to have the nose wrapped with the 3M clear bra. It should be around $650 for the nose.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
XPEL Durability Videos...

Originally Posted by TUK
I just had my 2010 Cayman wrapped with Xpel ultimate. Had the full front (bumper, full fenders, full hood, mirrors) plus roof and area around intakes. Had the factory 3m film on rear fenders removed since it had yellowed already. I can't give a review regarding durability yet but as far as appearance goes...I can't even tell it's on there, even from a couple feet away. From what I've researched it's one of the best films currently available. Self healing and very durable i've been told.

I would do your research as well and also get the best installer in your area to work on your car. I think it's worth it to pay a bit more for an experience installer.

Good luck and congrats on the new ride!

I have attached a few videos to demonstrate what XPEL Ultimate paint protection film is capable of with regards to staining:

Egg Demo

Bug Demo

Spray Paint Demo

and Self Healing Demo

Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Contadino is infamous around these parts
I have had the 3M clear film on my Jeep hood since I bought it in 1995 - 17 years! No peeling, yellowing, or any other issues. This stuff is great. I would go with 3M.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 PM
aviography is infamous around these parts
While I had Ventureshield film applied on my DD in summer of 2007 and have been very happy with it so far, I am hearing and reading bug stain and general staining problem with it now after 3M bought them a few years ago, is this the "Can't beat them, buy them" philosophy? The 3M material used to yellow quite quickly and also had more visible orange peel surface pattern which was the reason I went Ventureshield in 2007, I have heard the adhesive which was yellowing with 3M film has been resolved, but the orange peel surface finish is still an issue.

I just had the front end of my car professionally repainted, it was a fair bit of effort and cost, I will be using XPEL Ultimate based on what I have read and seen so far to protect the newly painted surface, however I will wait another two months to let the paint really cure first.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Installation is the key: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ll-decade.html

Be sure to do some research on installers.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com