Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailed by a Monster Truck!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Oh, forgot to mention my favorite trick for tailgaters.... turn on the rear foglight! Works much better at night of course but they usually think your putting on your breaks and have a burnt out bulb... they instantly back off. LOL

Old 02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SD_Dave
Yeah, that's a tough situation. In that case, I would follow Macster's technique and slow a bit and if that doesn't work even throw on your emergency flashers. The tailgator will probably be surprised by that and drop back (some). Its a good indicator that you don't want to 'play'.

Or, if that fails, floor it.
If the traffic is light enough to floor it I just move over and let the other vehicle past.

If I can't move over there's no room to floor it.

Besides, sometimes I'm going the limit because my V1 has alarmed or I just know for experience there's often a bear (CHP or LEO) up ahead, aka a speed trap.

Thus I slow down and sometimes there is a speed trap but will the officer ever pull the tail-gator over? No way. But if go past 5mph over the limit you can bet my Porsche gets pulled over.

I was being tailgated once out on I-40 (I was in my Mustang back then). Some guy in a small car wanted to draft mine at freeway speeds late at night.

I tried everything but to no avail. Since the road was nearly deserted I just upped the speed to something well fierce and after a few minutes was far enough ahead that even when slowed down to the limit no way the other car could catch up.

However, I was lucky I didn't blow through a speed trap. I had no V1 then or even a hand-held CB radio to help me spot or know about speed traps.

Nothing worse than to pull away from a tail-gator only to get pulled over and the tail-gator sails on by...

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
I usually just let the idiots pass.
Several times I have laughed at them as I see them pulled over by a cop a few miles ahead.

Not so much trucks around here. It's more likely some punk in his dad's bimmer. Fortunately, I finished high school years ago and have no desire to mess with morons.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
OP should put a couple turbos on his R, then no problem with tailgaters

Old 02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
ksdprasad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SD_Dave
But one thing I don't do is ENCOURAGE them. Just let'em go by. No need to prove anything to ignorant a$$holes with more testosterone than intelligence.
well said, ++++++++1 Dave.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Contadino is infamous around these parts
You might have to consider

The OP might also have to consider that the pickup driver was a better driver than he is. If he was able to keep up with a Cayman R for 3 miles of curvy roads then he evidently knows how to take a line. Not trying to justify him tailgating though.
My poor opinion of pickup drivers comes mostly from my time spent bicycling. I do a lot of road riding and most drivers are curteous and move over a little to increase the margin of safety when passing. A lot (not all) of pickup drivers don't move over at all or actually move closer to the white line, and a lot of them floor the throttle as they go by. Was riding with 2 other guys last year and a guy in a diesel pickup floored it as he passed us just to create a huge plume of black soot for us to breathe. I found out that it is hard to hold your breath when you are working out!

Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Contadino
The OP might also have to consider that the pickup driver was a better driver than he is. If he was able to keep up with a Cayman R for 3 miles of curvy roads then he evidently knows how to take a line. Not trying to justify him tailgating though.
It's possible that he was a better driver, but I'm not bad, and I doubt he could have been that much better. I think he was flooring it in straights whereas I wasn't, so he'd keeping catching up. Next time, I'll consider putting the hammer down in straights too, but there's a limit to how fast I'm willing to go on a public road.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Happens every so often when I head out into the boonies of VA for some spirited driving. Sometimes it's a kid, or some redneck in a mac-truck. Either way it's way more dangerous for them than it is for us. I'll either pull off to side road that isn't a dead end and waste some time to get rid of them or admittedly I'll put the hammer down for a quick distance increase (rarely).

As Manifold said though, escape velocity in VA is a really ****ty idea. Jail time for 90+ means even a dumbass in a Corolla can tailgate you unless you want to risk it.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:50 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Originally Posted by Contadino
My poor opinion of pickup drivers comes mostly from my time spent bicycling. I do a lot of road riding and most drivers are curteous and move over a little to increase the margin of safety when passing. A lot (not all) of pickup drivers don't move over at all or actually move closer to the white line, and a lot of them floor the throttle as they go by. Was riding with 2 other guys last year and a guy in a diesel pickup floored it as he passed us just to create a huge plume of black soot for us to breathe. I found out that it is hard to hold your breath when you are working out!
I am also a cyclist that spends a lot of time on the road, and I have to say that guys in pickup trucks tend to be the culprits in terms of doing dangerous things to me when they pass. I have had them try to get as close as they can with their mirrors while flooring it by me; I have had them get behind me and honk for no reason; I have had them pull up next to me just to cuss at me. I would say at least 80% of the bad incidents that I have are from this type of driver in this vehicle. The irony of it is, I drive a pickup as a daily driver. I have nothing against pickup trucks - I like them and they make sense as a DD, but it does seem that the owners tend to be short on courtesy and long on selfishness if my experience is representative.