Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Track Day with the Cayman R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lithium1330
On the heal-toe - just takes practice. You can practice on the street, as you slow for a turn or when you turn into your drive way... whenever you need to slow down via brakes and downshift. I use the ball of the foot on the brake and lower right side of the foot to blip the throttle. Some aftermarket pedals set will help close the gap between gas & brake... making it even easier.
Yes, I've been practicing H/T on the street for a few weeks now, in both the CR and 911. I wouldn't want to drive a MT car without it!

It's easier in the CR because the pedals are closer, and I haven't done any pedal mods yet, but that may be something to consider.

The main thing I think I need to get used to is braking very hard with the ball of my foot only partially on the brake pedal. Feels a bit disconcerting compared to centering my foot on the brake pedal, but I trust that it will become natural with time.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by theblue
The 370Z had an auto rev-matching feature where the ECU revs for you and you just focus on braking and shifting. cool stuff.
This moves us toward the usual debate between manual vs automated transmissions. I certainly appreciate the performance advantage of a double-clutch with paddles and automated blipping, but I'd rather do it all myself and develop my skill, even if I'm still slower in the end. To me, the satisfaction of being fast diminishes in proportion to the amount of credit which goes to the car, hence my preference for simpler but well-designed cars.

And hence my intention of eventually trying having PSM off. This article gives me hope in that regard: http://www.carenthusiast.com/reviews...rst+drive.html.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
I went to Summit Point in WV. Did the Summit Point circuit, but they also have two other circuits, one of which is very 'technical', and I plan to do all three of them.

Yup, the outside of the tires really showed some wear. I don't know if that means I drove hard or poorly, or that's just the way it is with the stock cambers. A couple guys mentioned the possibility of flipping the tires so that the outside becomes the inside, but I don't know if that can be done with the stock PS2 tires.

Agreed on the horsepower mods. The post about the Porsche school instructor passing all those cars in the Cayman R makes it crystal clear that I'm the weak link right now, not the car, so I'd much rather work on improving my driving. And looking back, even I can see several parts of that circuit where I could have gone much faster, which I'll try to do next time.
The wear on the outer edge is totally normal. The faster you go, the more you will wear those outer edges. You can try to get more negative camber out of the stock set up but it's usually not enough for most guys. The best way to go is the RSS or the GT3 Lower Control Arms in the front. Probably want pretty close to neg 2 degrees, depending on how much you drive it on the street because it will wear out the inner edge a bit more when you aren't on track. They aren't cheap, but you will definitely save your moneys worth in tires over a season. Congrats again on the car!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by jhuang25
Congrats again on the car!
It's actually the wife's car (selected with my encouragement), so I'll pass that along to her.

She's taken it to autox as well, and will continue doing that this season. I also want her to take it to the big track, but only after attending a good driving training program first (I did the AMG Driving Academy at Lime Rock last year, and it was excellent). We're going to try to fit in the Porsche school this summer, but child care is the obstacle there.

Very cool for the wife and I to be able to share this passion (though she's more balanced than me). Need to do this stuff before we both get too old!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Here's a video showing the track I was on:

I was a bit slower than this guy.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:50 PM
khooni is infamous around these parts
I would keep the PSM on.

If you turn it off and don't find that you are driving it better, smoother or faster than put it back on. Porsche PSM on the CR is very finely judged (yes, even the basic one), it is a driver aid more than a nanny for most of us. Including myself.

so unless you can feel the difference, I would keep it turned on. Because when you need it, you'd be glad it was there to save you from yourself.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 PM
StockKiller is infamous around these parts
Well, i have to disagree with the one statement... Yes the car can get out of control on you... And it will scare you... All it takes is for the car to be unsettled at the right spot and you can lose traction... Body roll... At full throttle.. And as a newer driver , it can be costly...

The car at 7/10ths is safe n fun... anything over that takes you into a different mind set...

Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by StockKiller
Well, i have to disagree with the one statement... Yes the car can get out of control on you... And it will scare you... All it takes is for the car to be unsettled at the right spot and you can lose traction... Body roll... At full throttle.. And as a newer driver , it can be costly...

The car at 7/10ths is safe n fun... anything over that takes you into a different mind set...
No disagreement there. I always assume that mistakes can cause me to lose control of the car, and that pushing the speed higher increases the risk. Better safe than sorry. At my current skill level, I can do 7/10ths, and I plan to inch my way towards getting to 8/10ths or higher.

The nice thing about autocross is that you can turn off PSM and aim for 10/10ths with much less risk. A nice way to learn the limits and car control.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Of course, to find the limit of the car at some point you have to exceed it.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
Of course, to find the limit of the car at some point you have to exceed it.
Agreed. Two good places to do that are autocross, and tighter turns (lower speeds) on the track where there's ample runoff area.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Yea I just did summit point shenandoah last Sunday... You could get the car out of line there and if you hit the straight under the bridge right and at high speed you can get the car to get air and it can get a little hairy...

I have a run on YouTube from shenendoah in the spyder.. Was my 1st track event in the spyder... VIR full in about a week

Psm really wasn't much different on or off for me lol... Only power mod I have is a catback