Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official 981 on order thread... chime in.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
I’m having a dilemma right now. I was all set on guards red with black interior (and red stitching on the seats) but I keep checking out the silver with the red roof and red leather interior.

Right now I’ve got partial leather interior but when you see the red interior, full leather is the way to go.

I’m not much of a silver person but damn, that red top and red leather look good.

Need to rethink this....

Mark

Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 AM
shineman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I’m having a dilemma right now. I was all set on guards red with black interior (and red stitching on the seats) but I keep checking out the silver with the red roof and red leather interior.

Right now I’ve got partial leather interior but when you see the red interior, full leather is the way to go.

I’m not much of a silver person but damn, that red top and red leather look good.

Need to rethink this....

Mark
Your probably over thinking it. Have you seen the silver red in person? I've seen it and think it's beautiful but couldn't imagine living with it for years. I'm going with my first instinct.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by shineman
I'm going with my first instinct.

I find that is usually my best route...

Mark

EDIT: Just got off the phone with my SA. Apparently my order is locked as of now anyway. One step closer...

Last edited by orangecrush; 06-22-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 PM
sjflannery is infamous around these parts
Mark,
Don't do it. I love your color combination. Guards red will really make the red stitching pop, and the black wheels kill. I like the silver, with red interior, but I am not sure about the red roof and how it will hold up. The stock pictures look nice, but I haven't seen on in person.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 PM
BTW....mine is on the truck from GA to the dealer as I write. Hope to see it tomorrow. I will take pictures.
Stephen

Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 PM
qhb
qhb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sjflannery
BTW....mine is on the truck from GA to the dealer as I write. Hope to see it tomorrow. I will take pictures.
Stephen
Pictures ASAP please.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jsprague
For those with your 981 on order (or delivered ) Why did you chose the option set you did?

I'm thinking about getting a 981 with manual transmission but am unsure which options to get..

PASM? (this one sounds pretty good according to the PASM thread)
PTV? (As another poster wrote, wtf?)
Sports Chrono? (Seems less important in a manual where trans settings are not in play?)
Seats? (any opinions on one seat being more comfortable)
Park sensors any good?
Other options, Nav, Bose, Convenience etc..

Thanks!!
I covered PASM, Sport Chrono and PTV in my thread about the Porsche Driver training I attended, you can find it in this forum section.

For seats, I went with the Sports Plus. I had those in the 987 as well, they were great and I now find that the 981 version of them are just as good. They also look so much better!
I've sat in a showroom 981 with standard seats as well and I think the difference between those and the Sport Plus I have in my own 981 is significant.

I didn't get parking sensors. That might be the only option I slightly regret not having right now. The rear visibility in the 981 is worse than in the 987, so they do make sense. Not a big deal though, I just have to be careful!

Bose is much improved in the 981. I had it in my 987 as well, but it's much more value for money in the 981, now it's really worth the price. I can't speak for the other sound systems though, haven't tested them in their 981 version, but if they are similar to their old versions, I'm very satisfied with getting the Bose!

Old 06-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Kelderek
I covered PASM, Sport Chrono and PTV in my thread about the Porsche Driver training I attended, you can find it in this forum section.

For seats, I went with the Sports Plus. I had those in the 987 as well, they were great and I now find that the 981 version of them are just as good. They also look so much better!
I've sat in a showroom 981 with standard seats as well and I think the difference between those and the Sport Plus I have in my own 981 is significant.

I didn't get parking sensors. That might be the only option I slightly regret not having right now. The rear visibility in the 981 is worse than in the 987, so they do make sense. Not a big deal though, I just have to be careful!

Bose is much improved in the 981. I had it in my 987 as well, but it's much more value for money in the 981, now it's really worth the price. I can't speak for the other sound systems though, haven't tested them in their 981 version, but if they are similar to their old versions, I'm very satisfied with getting the Bose!

X2... I went back and forth about the sensors and decided against them. The more I thought about it, I wish I had ordered at least the rear.

Too late now, my order is locked, I can add it later I suppose.

Mark

Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by orangecrush
X2... I went back and forth about the sensors and decided against them. The more I thought about it, I wish I had ordered at least the rear.
I had the parking sensors and the rain sensor on the table and told myself that it's enough with one of them. I went with the rain sensor, it's more useful in the long run, I think!

(Rain sensor comes with automatically dimming mirrors, but those I can live without...)

Old 06-23-2012, 01:25 PM
The local dealer (Tampa, FL) took delivery on two 981 S launch cars yesterday, and I was hoping mine would have been there as well. Maybe Monday. I took a few pictures of each. Sorry I suck at photography. Both had the PDK. I know you will think I am nuts, but I didn't drive them. I know the dealer thought I was nuts. The area isn't conducive for decent test drives, and I will admit to being a bit of a snob about the manual transmission. I did change my avatar to something that is probably as close a resemblance of the beast I bought. I will work harder at photographing it when it arrives.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Mark,
One of the launch vehicles was a Guards Red S. Obviously it didn't have the red seat stitching or the red wheels, but it looked sick. Really, really sick. You are going to be thrilled.
I am struggling getting the pictures I took uploaded. Sorry. I will keep trying.

Last edited by sjflannery; 06-23-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: can't get photos uploaded.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Keep getting the response "upload failed" when I try to upload the pictures. Sorry. Not sure if it recognizes the Mac format

Old 06-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by sjflannery
Keep getting the response "upload failed" when I try to upload the pictures. Sorry. Not sure if it recognizes the Mac format
Send them to me... I’ll upload for you.

Mark

orangecrush03@gmail.com

Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 PM
alezone is infamous around these parts
Ordered mine in March, scheduled to deliver end of August.

Base model PDK in Carrara white with red top and black interior.

*searching for aftermarket 19" 5-spoke rims... found a few but they're not cheap

Roderick RW5

Modulare B11

Work Gnosis GS2

Last edited by alezone; 06-24-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:41 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
@Alezone Are you considering only five-spoke wheels, or maybe mesh or something else would work? I would love to see a set of our MB1/CV1 or CV3/MB3 or CV08/MB08 from our lineup on the Boxster in Titanium Graphite or Matte Black definitely. With CV3 you would have the similar design features as the ones shown here.

@Orangecrush Definitely red exterior, black interior, then some all pearl white or matte black with a definitely cool looking red stripe on both combinations if you go with aftermarket wheels. We love both combinations and both work very good on the white car and those colors on the wheels! If you both need any help with the idea and selection lemme know!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Official 981 on order thread... chime in.