Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monoblock 1-Piece Forged Wheels - please share experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 PM
alezone is infamous around these parts
Monoblock 1-Piece Forged Wheels - please share experience

Hi guys, I'm in the market for a set of 19" monoblock forged wheels, which will go on the new 981 Boxster.

I have shortlisted some companies below, and I've heard good and bad things about some of them, please feel free to share your experience if you're a customer.

They range from $800 to $1500 a wheel, but I don't want to decide purely base on pricing and aesthetics. Would like to know the integrity and quality of the products as well.

Rennen M5S
ADV.1 5.1SL
CEC C884
Roderick RW5
Vossen CV5
DPE MT5
ForgeStar CF5
Nutek BC5
Savini SM2
Vellano WM4
360 Spec5

Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 AM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
I don't think any of those are 8,000 ton forged. I would only buy champion, bbs, or rays forged wheels.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by hakaida
I don't think any of those are 8,000 ton forged. I would only buy champion, bbs, or rays forged wheels.
As discussed by numerous others, the tonnage alone does not necessarily determine the overall structural integrity and strength of the wheel, design of the wheel is very crucial as well.

I've checked BBS and Rays as well but not a fan of those styles, do you have a good link to Champions? I can't seem to find one. thanks

Last edited by alezone; 06-29-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
hakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the roughhakaida is a jewel in the rough
Champion motorsport has a link to the right ------------------->

And those other companies listed aren't involved in motorsport racing. While the tonnage isn't a end all be all, it's a better starting point than the companies that are made for looks only.

Last edited by hakaida; 06-29-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Former Vendor
CampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the roughCampioniShop1 is a jewel in the rough
Please see below. We carry most of the wheels you mentioned and will gladly help in providing you additional information.

Originally Posted by alezone
Hi guys, I'm in the market for a set of 19" monoblock forged wheels, which will go on the new 981 Boxster.

I have shortlisted some companies below, and I've heard good and bad things about some of them, please feel free to share your experience if you're a customer.

They range from $800 to $1500 a wheel, but I don't want to decide purely base on pricing and aesthetics. Would like to know the integrity and quality of the products as well.

Rennen M5S
^^That company has had numerous product and customer service issues with GTR, BMW and Infinity owners. We have similar quality wheels with much better companies to back them up in the same price range.
ADV.1 5.1SL
^^Amazing wheel, unfortunately cannot be discussed on this forum. Way over 1,500 per wheel though.
CEC C884
^^No experience.
Roderick RW5
^^Not 1 piece forged wheels. These are low pressure cast and as such will be much heavier.
Vossen CV5
^^Not 1 piece forged wheels. These are low pressure cast and as such will be much heavier.
DPE MT5
^^Great wheel designs, DPE has had recent issues though with the products and customer service. Slightly over your budget.
ForgeStar CF5
^^Not 1 piece forged, it is a hybrid low pressure cast face with flow formed barrel. It makes it about 10-15% lighter than comparable low pressure cast wheels. Forgestar also offers a wide array of custom finishes and is a great bang for your buck wheel. Lead times are however difficult to predict, minimum is 6 weeks.
Nutek BC5
^^Not available in Porsche fitment. This is a low pressure cast wheel. You would need to look into their BM5 or BM5S 1 piece forged alternative which is on our website. We have great pricing on these and would highly recommend them. Bavaria's is Nutek entry level lineup and they make their own wheels. Highly recommended!
Savini SM2
Vellano WM4
360 Spec5
^^Can't comment on the last 3. They are not popular Porsche applications.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by CampioniShop1
Please see below. We carry most of the wheels you mentioned and will gladly help in providing you additional information.

Thanks a million there, I will look into the ones you recommend, will be in touch.