Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Spyder Top Sealing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 AM
glapira is infamous around these parts
Boxster Spyder Top Sealing

Hi Guys,

first of all, I would like to introduce myself as this is my first post on this forum. I recently bough my new Porsche, a Boxster Spyder. I am absolutely delighted with it and I think it's just the car I wanted... :-)

I have been driving it for a bit now, but as I live in Spain, the convertible top hasn't been on a lot, to be honest! Now the other day I drove it with the top mounted (both of them), so the car was completely "closed".

I could clearly feel the left side, just above the left side window, doesn't seal completely... and I could hear both the wind noise and some fresh air getting inside the car. The right side seals perfectly and it's much quieter!

In fact, once I stopped, I tried to adjust the top by stretching it a little bit, but i could clearly feel with my hand that it wasn't sealing completely on the left side. There was nothing strange I could see or feel though.

Anybody experienced something similar? Any solution to it before I bring it to Porsche?

The car is still under warranty, but, just as a matter of interest, how much would a new convertible top cost?

I understand the convertible top is not perfect, but I believe that it could seal a little bit better... :-)

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Gio

Old 06-30-2012, 01:08 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
I have not experienced that issue... Was it just once? Did you put the top on with the door closed? I always put the top on with doors open and then shut it.. So the windows go up when you shut and seal properly

Old 06-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Jay9722 is infamous around these parts
Mine is noisy, rattles, flaps, and wind gets in...but I love it. I think they are just noisy cars. My top seems to get looser the more I drive it, the faster I drive it, and the more it's exposed to the elements. I rarely put the rear top section on, even in the rain, so I don't notice the imperfect seal issue that I also have. I will be interested to hear what Porsche says to you.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
the top does require adjustment and fitting to make it rattle proof. keep the top up when parked will make it less likely to be wrinkled or deformed.

it should not leak. if so, you have something that needs to be realigned or possibly ripped.

new top can be $5k if replaced by dealer using porsche top. aftermarket top is about $3k.

so, take it to dealer to see if they can fix it while under warranty. fix all the issues before that warranty expires.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:08 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
Aftermarket top?

Mine isnt really that loud when on... THAT..or I can't hear anything with my fabspeed exhaust lol