Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Cayman Base / Manual Price Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 PM
honghong322 is infamous around these parts
Well hell - another one 2009 popped up on ebay and is sort of local. 1 owner. This is is PDK with Sports Chrono and has a buy it now price of 37.5k This car has 13k on it.... What would you guys do? God, I'm losing sleep over this! I might offer the seller of car 1 something like 38.5 and see how that goes.

Car 1 - one owner (41k)

2009 Cayman Base
6 speed
9300 miles
Xenons
Heated Seats
Upgraded sounds (guess Bose)
Auto AC

Car 2 - one owner (37.5k on ebay)

2009 Cayman Base - 1 owner
PDK with Sports Chrono
13k miles
Heated Seats
Looks to have auto ac
No Xenons (don't think)

Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Pdk ruins it for me .. If it were an S then Yes but a Base PDK ..I just dont know about the fun factor ..thats probally why the price is very good IMO
having sport chrono is a good bonus though and would temt me to drive it with the sport feature ON and see how she performs compared to the stick ..Also sounds like a rental car to me so my thought are NO

Shifting the gears is 50% of the fun IMO but to each is own on that ok ..

the 6 speed base is really very interesting and very rare but no sport chrono ????? Its a must IMO otherwise get ahold of Softronics and they can add it to your ECU Plus 15 more ponies for around 1K and it makes all the difference in the world ...

if you are going to spend that kind of coin you can get a 09 S model for around 40 and decent miles ..

the 09 has all the new stuff ..concentrate on a 09 S model for around 40 to 45K with under 40K miles 6 speed with sport chrono only..there has to be some out there ..NO RENTAL CARS OR AUCTION CARS!!! stay away !!

or get that 09 6 speed !!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry PDK = boring and soft resell value

Last edited by Fluid987; 07-27-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I have honestly been debating that. I don't think I'll enjoy the "S" that much more. I mean of course more power, etc but I think this base one just happened to popped up and it is local.

I keep hearing that the 6 speed base is very rare. I'm going to take that car on a PPI this week. I have no problem offering him 39k or so especially with the low miles.

I haven't taken a look a "S" models yet, can't seem to find them much in the northeast. The other thing is that these cars are local too. I really do appreciate the input

Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 PM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Fluid987
If it were an S then Yes but a Base PDK ..I just dont know about the fun factor ..thats probally why the price is very good IMO
But my dear Pete/prodgers/Fluid987.com (I can't access..), do you have something against base Caymans???

Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by the_vetman
But my dear Pete/prodgers/Fluid987.com (I can't access..), do you have something against base Caymans???
Smart aleck. No I have nothing against the base model but if you have 40 k in coin then it does leave some options open even a 2006 and add a tpc comes to mind . Here in Wa where I live we have mostly country roads in gig harbor so a manual shift is a must IMO ..I really like the idea of the base with the 6 speed ..if there was one thing I would really like on my 2007 base model that I paid 55 k for would be the 6 speed ..this 2.7 liter motor is rock solid ,still original clutch after 65 k miles ,never seen the shop for repairs and runs better then new after 5 years..

Btw ..web site is being developed and we will be a sponsor here on 6 speed any day now .

My adise to the op is still the 09 6 speed then add the Softronics to make up for the no sport chrono and your gold

When I see base model and PDK I sniff rental car

Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Well, I went and drove the 6 speed and spoke with the owner. The car is definately better than new. Always has been hand washed and he never drives it in the rain. The condition of the exterior is amazing. There seem to be "clear bra" in front of the rear wheels? Just around the front of the rear fender.

I think he added that right? The car drove like a dream, he's never had it above 4k.... I gave him an offer and we'll work with that. I'm going to schedule a PPI sometime this week and if pricing works.. then I will have a new toy! Lets just hope it can get up my driveway, that will be my next ordeal..

Old 07-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Fluid987
When I see base model and PDK I sniff rental car

Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by honghong322
There seem to be "clear bra" in front of the rear wheels? Just around the front of the rear fender.

The car drove like a dream, he's never had it above 4k....
The rear fender stone guard comes equipped from the factory. However, he may have had larger ones put on if he got clear bra on the front. I have clear bra on the front and larger ones on rear fenders.

I'd argue that Porsches should be driven above 4k rpm's once the engine and oil are properly warmed up (not the water temp). Not constantly at 7k, mind you, but still wrung out from time to time.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by the_vetman
The rear fender stone guard comes equipped from the factory. However, he may have had larger ones put on if he got clear bra on the front. I have clear bra on the front and larger ones on rear fenders.

I'd argue that Porsches should be driven above 4k rpm's once the engine and oil are properly warmed up (not the water temp). Not constantly at 7k, mind you, but still wrung out from time to time.

I'd have to agree, I took it up to 5/6k a couple times during the drive and boy it was a hoot to drive!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
I redline in every gear daily !!!! just kidding but I am always above 3K due to the Fabspeed Racing Headers and Remus Exhaust 4 to 6 is a nice sweet spot for me

I hope you get this 6 speed honghong322 ..If I were you I would get the softronics Flash and make sure Scott adds the Sport Mode feature ..They you have the sport Chrono +15 more HP and your car will be a Gass!!!!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:18 PM
The PPI happened this morning at a very well known shop in MA.

There was only a range 1 over-rev that happened at 27hr, so essentially while it was being test driven or something.

Ranges 2-6 were blank and the average speed was ~ 42mph when you do the calculations which are in line with the current seller it is highway miles.

Nothing else wrong with the car except I'm probably due for a brake fluid change in a year or so.

Bought the car for 40k. Picking it up tomorrow night... oh boy...

Old 08-01-2012, 04:34 PM
probably due for a brake fluid change in a year or so.
Brake fluids should be changed every 2 years. If tracking, at least yearly. Congrats on the new car.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Thecatch83 is infamous around these parts
8/1/12 update - I bought it, can't wait to pick her up!

Hi guys

Posted a similar post over at Planet-9, I've been looking at 2009+ Caymans for the past few months and something has come up very recently that is local. The gentleman told me to make him a very reasonable offer as he is looking to offload some of his toys. According to pictures, it is absolutely in pristine condition. What would be a fair price to offer? Mid 40's? Low 40's? Also told me the warranty expires March 2014 (Is that correct?)

2009 Cayman Base
6 speed manual
18-in Cayman wheels
Xenons
Upgraded sound
Heated Seats (sounds like conv. package)
~9k miles, he is the original owner
Yeah, you can get a used base model in the 30s now.....45k+ is getting into Cayman S territory. Why not spring for a used S with some mileage? I have a feeling that you will grow tired of the base model rather quickly

Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Don't need to spend the extra $ on the "S", the condition was immaculate and the price was right and vehicle was local. Plan to keep the mileage fairly low as it'll be a weekend driver or whenever the weather is nice.

I daily drive a Scion tC... so I think this is more than enough power

Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
IMO, the Cayman should be your new DD. You can sell tC if no other need.. But this is depending on the premise that you won't be parallel parking regularly at your destinations.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayman Base / Manual Price Help!