Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Boxster S 3.4L engine detuned from 350hp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2012 | 10:30 AM
|
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
2013 Boxster S 3.4L engine detuned from 350hp?

Looks like the engine is identical to the base 911 engine and Porsche detuned it from 350hp to 315hp. Can anyone confirm this? If this is true, than a simple ecu tune should bring it back up to 350hp.

Old 07-11-2012 | 01:22 PM
Roos is infamous around these parts
Hi,

If I understand the spec right their is another manifold, exhaust system and different software.

Best Regards
Thomas R

Old 07-11-2012 | 04:29 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
OT Tuskir,... but what club are you running with that lets you run top down at Homestead (your avatar)?

Old 07-11-2012 | 05:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by lithium1330
OT Tuskir,... but what club are you running with that lets you run top down at Homestead (your avatar)?
The pic is from Sebring actually, I was there with Chin Motorsports. Not sure what the rules at Homestead are, but at Sebring and West Palm Beach raceway, they let you run with top down as long as you have active rollbar. Its a lot more fun that way and better visibility IMO.

I've sold the M6 and looking to get into the Boxster S, hopefully my assumptions about ecu tuning bringing the power back up to 350hp are correct. 315hp is way too low for a 3.4L engine with DFI and all the goodies, it has to be detuned on purpose IMO.

Old 07-11-2012 | 05:54 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tuskir
I've sold the M6 and looking to get into the Boxster S, hopefully my assumptions about ecu tuning bringing the power back up to 350hp are correct. 315hp is way too low for a 3.4L engine with DFI and all the goodies, it has to be detuned on purpose IMO.
That would be great if a little bit of tuning and an exhaust brought up that much power.

I PM’s one of our vendors and he said that his tune would only net 6-8 HP and TQ.

He said that was normal for a tune on an NA engine. I was shocked since the last tune I did on a JCW netted me about 60 WHP. He said that was in the normal range for a turbo’d or supercharged car.

The 981 will be the first NA car I’ve driven in a long time. I suspect a turbo will be in my future.

Mark

Old 07-11-2012 | 06:07 PM
|
Originally Posted by orangecrush
That would be great if a little bit of tuning and an exhaust brought up that much power.

I PM’s one of our vendors and he said that his tune would only net 6-8 HP and TQ.

He said that was normal for a tune on an NA engine. I was shocked since the last tune I did on a JCW netted me about 60 WHP. He said that was in the normal range for a turbo’d or supercharged car.

The 981 will be the first NA car I’ve driven in a long time. I suspect a turbo will be in my future.

Mark
I think its a little too early to tell what gains can be expected since the car just came out, but 315hp figure seems very low for a 3.4L engine and it is likely that Porsche purposely detuned it (in order not to exceed 911's performance).

Mercedes did the similar detuning with their 6.2L V8, it made 525hp in flagship SL63 and only 450hp in cheaper C63, but with only an ecu tune, you could get the same 525hp in C63. Hope this will be the case with Boxster S.

Old 07-12-2012 | 09:42 AM
Wanderer is infamous around these parts
I've wondered this about the 987 CS. The part number on the ECU is a 997 part number. So what would happen if the 997 software was loaded in place of the 987 code?

Old 07-12-2012 | 10:00 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I've wondered this about the 987 CS. The part number on the ECU is a 997 part number. So what would happen if the 997 software was loaded in place of the 987 code?
I'm not an expert but first, I'll say it won't take it. I'm pretty sure each ECM is VIN coded to each specific VIN.

IF you could just upload a tune via the OBDII port into the existing ECM and therefore overwriting the existing software, you may get away with it but somehow I don't see it as being that simple.

Perhaps someone that knows more on the subject will chime in.

Mark

Old 07-15-2012 | 02:05 PM
|
Another thing I don't get is the 20'' wheels, doesn't that adversely affect performance and ride quality? They probably weigh 30lbs+ each too, I think changing to lighter 19'' (or even 18'') would make a big difference in all areas of performance.

Old 07-15-2012 | 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tuskir
Another thing I don't get is the 20'' wheels, doesn't that adversely affect performance and ride quality? They probably weigh 30lbs+ each too, I think changing to lighter 19'' (or even 18'') would make a big difference in all areas of performance.

Yes and no...

First, weight probably isn’t that much of a factor because the weight of any factory wheel is going to suck. Though a set of 19’s may be lighter, they’re still heavier than a track wheel.

I understand that with the suspension on the new 981 (especially with PASM), the ride quality is not hurt with the 20’s.

Having said that, performance will definitely be better on a larger diameter tire because there will be less sidewall to roll.

Last but not least, the 20’s look better aesthetically.

My .02 worth.

Mark

Old 07-15-2012 | 02:34 PM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
I imagine it's similar to the Audi R8 5.2 which has a detuned Gallardo engine. To get to the same power level with the R8, you need an intake, exhaust, and ECU flash.

Old 07-15-2012 | 11:22 PM
CURVN8R is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by orangecrush

I understand that with the suspension on the new 981 (especially with PASM), the ride quality is not hurt with the 20’s.

Mark
While perusing an issue of Excellence about the new 991, I noticed that they said the chassis guys at Porsche had been pushing for 20 inch wheels for some time. They said the 20 inch wheels have a larger tire patch - which let them reduce tire pressure "because the potential tire load is higher..." That, according to the article, "not only makes the car faster but also more comfortable." It seems counter intuitive that tires with the shorter side wall would be more comfortable - but that is what it said.

Old 07-16-2012 | 12:07 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by CURVN8R
While perusing an issue of Excellence about the new 991, I noticed that they said the chassis guys at Porsche had been pushing for 20 inch wheels for some time. They said the 20 inch wheels have a larger tire patch - which let them reduce tire pressure "because the potential tire load is higher..." That, according to the article, "not only makes the car faster but also more comfortable." It seems counter intuitive that tires with the shorter side wall would be more comfortable - but that is what it said.
It might definately be true.
I have absolutely no complaints when it comes to ride quality on my 981 with 20" and PASM. It swallows uneven roads much better than my old 19"-equipped 987.

Old 07-16-2012 | 06:47 AM
Mitter is infamous around these parts
I hope they keep it going strong we need more HP to beat the 911

Old 07-16-2012 | 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Mitter
I hope they keep it going strong we need more HP to beat the 911

And THAT'S the reason we don't have it...lol.

The 981 is less than .18 seconds slower on the ring than a 911 Carrera S. If the 981 had more HP, it would probably beat it and it wouldn't look good that Porsche's entry level car could beat their flagship car.

Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 Boxster S 3.4L engine detuned from 350hp?