Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is not right…European Delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 AM
WhatSpeedLimit is infamous around these parts
To be clear, Porsche's margins are at about 10% assuming no options are selected. Options have a margin at about 15%. The more options you add, the more it tilts the total margin of the vehicle higher than 10%. So figure a $75K Boxster has about 11% in it.

@Orange, I'd say you got a fair deal and I probably only beat it because I had more leverage with additional cars.

If rich people pay full price they won't be rich very long in my humble opinion. I deal on everything, regardless of store, product, brand, etc. 9 times out of 10 I get a discount. I could care less if a sales person, store manager or society thinks I am cheap. I win. Plus it is a game to me.

Last edited by WhatSpeedLimit; 07-26-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Mistakenly directed a quote to the wrong person
Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 AM
cay-man-ess23 is infamous around these parts
I understand trying to get a good deal. Porsche's margin does NOT change no matter what the increase in options. The margin is the same on a $50,000 Boxster or a $180,000 tricked out Turbo S. You are misinformed sir. You are a little high on what your estimate to the the margin is as well. I've seen the actual margins and unfortunately they aren't what you think. Wish they were. Maybe after the small amount of dealer cash that Porsche throws towards the dealer, then they are at our around 10%. It DEFINITELY does not go to 15% the more options you add. Sorry....big wrong.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 AM
I think you misunderstood my reply...but maybe not. I simply used various websites, backed into the invoice vs. msrp pricing and found that on the whole, the base margin of the car was 10% and each option individually was 15%. The more you add options, the more the margin increases on the car but will never arrive at 15%.

Edmunds lists the invoice and msrp of the Boxster S at $54,810 and $60,900 respectively. That's 10% margin.

Edmunds further lists options...take the Infotainment package as an example at $3,281 invoice and $3,860 MSRP. That's 15% margin on that option.

Add the two and calculate margin and you get 10.3%...it climbs higher as you tick the boxes.

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/boxst...tyle=200418352

Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 AM
cay-man-ess23 is infamous around these parts
I'm a dealer and have invoices at my disposal. Unfortunately, Edmunds is flat wrong in this case. No matter what options you have on the car, your margin is always no matter the car whether it is a Boxster or Panamera Turbo S right at 9.68%. It doesn't fluctuate with pricing of options. It's a fixed margin and if you want to believe Edmunds, that is fine. I'm telling you though, that you are misinformed about the margins on these cars. 15% would be awesome for us, I'd love to make more money on the cars....Unfortunately we are strapped by the FIXED margins that Porsche gives out to us. In 2012 the margins were closer to 10%, and the margins are getting tighter now.

PM me and we can discuss it further. Just trying to get you the correct info.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Cool, appreciate the candor. And yeah, I'm no expert, just going off what was on Edmunds.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cay-man-ess23
No matter what options you have on the car, your margin is always no matter the car whether it is a Boxster or Panamera Turbo S right at 9.68%.

That's exactly what my dealer told me so that makes me even more thrilled that I received what I received.

Now, if I could just get the damn car....

Thanks caymaness for setting the record straight. I like straightforwardness and if I didn't know my dealer, I'd rather deal with someone like you than just randomly going to a dealer.

Mark

Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
I'd just like to say that cay-man-ess23 is absolutely right without equivocation... (BTW, can you get me a smokin' deal??? How about 9.5% off??)

I'm kidding - getting a Spyder (obviously used). If I could still order one, I may have been PM'ing you.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM
micha007mk is infamous around these parts
I went thru the whole BS you guys are going thru with a Cayenne, i ended up splitting the difference with the dealer...so i'm basically paying for half the ED and still getting a smaller discount.

also in my case i'm fortunate enough to have 2 Porsche dealers in my area so i could shop..the 1st gave me 0 discount with ED and the second offered me a small discount with ED.

i figure that i'll get them on the next purchase because i already have my eye on the Macan

Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Glad to hear you sort of got the response you wanted. I will say that I spent an inordinate amount of time going round and round with PCNA via escalations, letters, consumer agencies, etc. I communicated many times that all I wanted was for them to amend the terms of the program as it was basically misleading. They communicated back that the way they set themselves up with dealers 'setting the price' and them setting the 'terms' means they aren't responsible. In other words, it makes it difficult to nail them down for any wrong doing.

End result was that I did not get European Delivery as the resolution was well past the date of delivery, PCNA agreed to alter the terms of their program by removing any reference that this was at no cost to the consumer, sent me an apology letter after the COO sent me a polite letter to suck lemons and they cut me a check. I hate that I didn't get to drive in Europe and the experience will probably make me look elsewhere the next time I buy a car. Dealer was fantastic throughout the process. PCNA was terrible.

Hopefully it helps everyone down the line.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:09 PM
micha007mk is infamous around these parts
I'll tell you that i thought of doing what you did as i am a person that hates missrepresentation, I also had a feeling that if i went that route i would have A) had a huge fight with my dealer and ended up not buying the car from him or B)got somekind of lame answer back from PCNA that basically points the finger in different directions.

I went home and thought about it long and hard, i concluded that i've always dreamed of owning a porsche and that going this route would probably rob me of possibly one of the best experiences of my life, so i gave in...kind of!
i did get somewhat of a discount and the dealer ended up promissing me that i'd get my 2 first services on them.

After that, i put it asside and i'm now focussed on picking up my car in late June.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Sweet man...you will love it! Heck, even commuting is even fun!