Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well that didn’t work out the way I thought it would....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Well that didn’t work out the way I thought it would....

Okay, so I get a VIN# on the 18th. Apparently a ship (that has another delivery coming to my dealership) is stopping at the same port where they would normally pick up my 981. They’re stopping at that port on the 20th.

I kind of got excited because since it was done, I was hoping it would make it on that ship which would bring it to the US by the 31st. Of course I wouldn’t still get it for probably a week to ten days by the time it sits at port, gets transported to the dealership, get PDI’d, etc, etc.

Well, I guess I got my hopes up for nothing. It didn’t get on that ship and won’t be shipped now till the 31st. By the time it gets to the US (11 days) and finishes the rest of it’s routine, I won’t get it till the end of August now.

Oh well, was just kind of excited...

Mark

Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM
StockKiller is infamous around these parts
Start drinking ...and maybe you'll wake up n few weeks and all well be good...
I feel for you crush...my cars been gone for 8 weeks...

Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by StockKiller
Start drinking ...and maybe you'll wake up n few weeks and all well be good...
I feel for you crush...my cars been gone for 8 weeks...

When you getting it back? It’s been a while now. I’ll bet you’re freakin’ ready to get it back... probably more so than I.

Mark

Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm starting to lose my mind... I'm so bored...supposed to ship out this week..well see..
I really miss just taking a break during the day from trading.. Slamming a few red bulls.. Then just go nuts in my area...
Im trying to hav the car shipped to boone nc where I'll be so I can run the dragon and explore deals gap area... Well see

Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm starting to lose my mind... I'm so bored...supposed to ship out this week..well see..
I really miss just taking a break during the day from trading.. Slamming a few red bulls.. Then just go nuts in my area...
Im trying to hav the car shipped to boone nc where I'll be so I can run the dragon and explore deals gap area... Well see

Since I live 3-4 hours from Deal’s Gap, I’ve been going there for years but last weekend, I took this...lol.

Mark

Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Awesome! I love it...
I just bought the F 150 Raptor...been messin around with it.. I hear it's rumored to be the GT3 of trucks..lol. But I haven't gone off road yet...
But the raptor is no cayman r ...
Any advice or roads to drive up there..

Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Betcha the rice burners loved seeing that truck coming around the turns..lol

Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Awesome! I love it...
I just bought the F 150 Raptor...been messin around with it.. I hear it's rumored to be the GT3 of trucks..lol. But I haven't gone off road yet...
But the raptor is no cayman r ...
Any advice or roads to drive up there..

Yes, a few...

First, tail of the dragon as you know is 318 curves in 11 miles... that's a lot of curves. When I try to explain to people about it, I use this analogy.

Driving the tail of the dragon is like eating super hot, atomic, get your name on a plaque wings. It's fun to say you did it but after 11 miles, it becomes a little annoying. The same kind of annoying as getting a tattoo. It's just something you endure to the end.

Rather than eat 5 super hot wings to get my name on a plaque, I'd rather eat 20 medium wings and enjoy them.

If you're like that, try the Cherohala Skyway. It has nice 120mph sweepers that are 5K feet elevation. It takes a couple of hours but there are scenic pull offs and great views to enjoy while still enjoying your drive.

Also, check out Route 81 not to far from there. IMO, much more fun (at least on a sportbike.

If you go on a weekend, watch for cops, they like to bust your butt coming off the mountain after you've been in the twisties all day. They've been known to hide in the bushes.

Little to no cell phone service.

Unless your staying in one of the immediate local places (few and far between), the nearest place is probably Alcoa, TN.

Also, should you go, go to the website and see what group if any is coming into town that day. In may, I went with the Mini Cooper World. Over 1000 minis were on tail of the dragon. Needless to say, it gets busy.

Betcha the rice burners loved seeing that truck coming around the turns..lol

Not sure about the ricers but I think I scared the **** out of half a dozen sport bike riders that had a knee down and their head on my side of the yellow line.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Not sure about the ricers but I think I scared the **** out of half a dozen sport bike riders that had a knee down and their head on my side of the yellow line.

I have to get down there again one of these days... thank you for the great suggestions, Mark.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 PM
CURVN8R is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Yes, a few...

First, tail of the dragon as you know is 318 curves in 11 miles... that's a lot of curves. When I try to explain to people about it, I use this analogy.

If you're like that, try the Cherohala Skyway. It has nice 120mph sweepers that are 5K feet elevation. It takes a couple of hours but there are scenic pull offs and great views to enjoy while still enjoying your drive.

Also, check out Route 81 not to far from there. IMO, much more fun (at least on a sportbike.

Mark
Good suggestions, Mark. Also worthwhile is NC 226A - the "Diamondback" near Little Switzerland, NC, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. In reality, there are a bunch of really great drives here in the NC mountains!

Cheers!

Last edited by CURVN8R; 07-25-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 AM
Originally Posted by CURVN8R
Good suggestions, Mark. Also worthwhile is NC 226A - the "Diamondback" near Little Switzerland, NC, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. In reality, there are a bunch of really great drives here in the NC mountains!

Cheers!

No problem guys... And Curvn8r is right, there are MANY great roads around tail of the dragon, I was specifically speaking of deals gap should that be your main point of attraction. (which in my opinion are better than the dragon but the main destination seems to be the dragon)

If you come up this way, look me up, we've got an extra bedroom if you need to crash on your way up or if I'm free, I'll run up with you (only for a day for me)

Mark

Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 PM
let me see how things go.. im staying in banners elk.. area.. Boone..
im looking to explore the area for houses... its just too hot down here..
thanks for advice... it sounds like i just secured delivery for my car.. to be there..
god i hope so..

Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 PM
CURVN8R is infamous around these parts
let me see how things go.. im staying in banners elk.. area.. Boone..
im looking to explore the area for houses... its just too hot down here..
thanks for advice... it sounds like i just secured delivery for my car.. to be there..
god i hope so..
If you are looking for a house, take a look at the Highlands/Cashiers area - similar temperatures dues to altitude (3500 to 4500') and closer to a big airport (atlanta) - if that matters. We have a ton of Floridians here - at least during the summer.

mike

Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by CURVN8R
If you are looking for a house, take a look at the Highlands/Cashiers area - similar temperatures dues to altitude (3500 to 4500') and closer to a big airport (atlanta) - if that matters. We have a ton of Floridians here - at least during the summer.

mike
yes.. i love the highlands.. i was actually lookin at a house there..
it was a great price.. ive been up there 3 times..
you live in a very nice area... yes.. i think im jealous.. lol..
lake glenville is awesome...
my plan was to rent a house on the lake for a month bring up my toys and just chill out... the wife does not like to travel.. im a get up an go kinda of guy... so we are renting.. which is not bad either.. i get to bounce around. and rent nice fat houses...then leave..

Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 PM
next summer we all need to hook up..
i think i will do the blue ridge boxster summit..or we should meet like they do..at any time...
i get bogged down with hockey down here with my son..... its relentless....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well that didn’t work out the way I thought it would....