Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:37 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Comments below:

Originally Posted by Z356
Turbodogue: Congratulations on your upcoming 'Riviera Blue' 981S. That is the first confirmed PTS on the 981 I have heard of.

a) Could you elaborate further on why Joe West (of PCNA) refused your friend's Mexico Blue (colour code 336) PTS request? He himself has it (Mexico Blue) listed on the PCNA document as 'approved'!

Yeah agree, but when they put the order through, he rejected it and countered with Riviera as an option. I dont know why, but I wasnt happy because I dont really want another Riv car in town, even though its for my friends wife. Its a Carrera S Cab and she wont drive it much. But still paying the $5500 was for the color and the uniqueness.

b) What specifically have you been told about doing PTS in batches? Have you heard anything about closing the PTS window on the 981 or 991 soon - like later this fall?

Joe said they will open and close it twice per year maximum. My manager says he thinks more likely one opening per year as the PTS just slows the production line way down and they are trying to push as many cars out as they can as they are selling so fast. My dealers next available allocation for a Box S is May 2013. He has taken orders that far out. Next PTS window he suggested would be next summer, but that could be impacted by other releases, like the Cayman, etc. They wont want to slow the line and underdeliver to demand for that model either.

c) It is my understanding that they will move 981 production to the old Karmann plant in Osnabrück owned by VW soon. Have you heard when exactly? At the start of next year, middle or end?

Yes, i heard the above and its true. I hear they are retooling and updating the old VW plant, so sure it will be great, but my rep was like "hey you may have the only PTS Box S to come from the old factory." He seemed to think that was a good thing. I dont care really as long as its a quality build. He is hearing that spring Boxsters production will be from the new plant.

Please keep us posted on the progress of your PTS order. It will be beautiful!

WILL post pics of it when it gets here!!

Thanks Howard
Saludos,
Eduardo

Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 PM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
Methinks Riviera Blue Boxster S will look AWESOME. Love that color... as well as the GT3 RS Orange.

Yes, please post pics... months down the line.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
On what not to do!

Deleted

Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 10-03-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 AM
brianjroberts is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up 981 Options - Decorative Stitching

Eduardo,

Thank you very much for your posts in this thread. I have had more questions answered by reading your posts than I have been able to get from my Local Dealer.

I have ordered a new 981 Boxster S and have been advised that it is slated for a November build.

Porsche's here in Australia are significantly more expensive than in the US so I want to make sure that mine, with the colours / options I have selected are a perfect match. ($232,000)

I have selected all of the Leather options available (Except the seat belt buckles could not justify $1200 for this).

The colour is Lime Gold with bicolour interior Agate Grey / Lime Gold with the full mahogany timber package.

I particularly like the decorative stitching of the lime gold thread in the Agate grey on the upper doors, dash joins and instrument cluster cover.

I have ordered the Steering Column casing in leather option and it displays with a lighter coloured stitching but not lime gold in the car configurator.

My assumption was that the Configurator shows it generically but this would be done in the correct colour when the car was built at the factory.

I wanted to make sure that all the decorative stitching was consistent and in the same colour.

Other areas that have the decorative stitching in my configuration are the defroster section in the extended dash option and the dash end trims.

I asked my dealer to contact the factory and ask how we could ensure that all the stitching is colour matched.

The response I received was that the Car Configurator incorrectly shows the decorative stitching in the lime gold colour and is in fact a colour match to the Agate Grey.

Obviously they need to "Think Again" given you have posted photographs of the "Real" car in Agate Grey / Amber Orange in this thread that shows the decorate stitching in the Amber Orange colour.

I will be sending a copy of those photographs to them and asking them why they are giving me obviously incorrect advice.

Do you have any advice on a process / communication with Porsche that would ensure that my car is built in matching thread colours?

Again thank you for your efforts in these posts in informing us about options and issues in ordering.

Cheers Brian

My Spec if interested is below.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PDB7QSI1

Old 09-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Brian:

You've ordered everything but the kitchen sink, so this advice probably isn't relevant to you...I bought column casing with contrasting leather stitching for my 997.2, and I would never do it again. You will be the only one to notice the subtle difference. It's just too hidden. If the column casing would otherwise arrive in black plastic, I would skip going to leather.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Z356 has a spectacular aura aboutZ356 has a spectacular aura about
This is my last post on this thread!

Originally Posted by brianjroberts
Eduardo,

Thank you very much for your posts in this thread. I have had more questions answered by reading your posts than I have been able to get from my Local Dealer.

Brian: Thank you for these kind words. But this will be my last post on this thread and I will not continue with the project. Recently, I posted the following:

"I have asked in writing 'Porsche Exclusive' in the United States to address those and other questions I have on 'Deviating Stitching' for the 991 & 981. I have also asked what changes are coming which will allow options like XHS (center tunnel & console lid), XNS (steering column in leather), CZW (additional dash vents, speakers, ends) and others to be done in deviating stitching. At the present time, these options are NOT permitted to be done with any deviating stitching, apparently because they have supply bottlenecks and need to simplify production for their hard-pressed vendors. Similarly, I have asked when you might be able to order a different color thread (from the limited standard selection) in the case where you order a PTS exterior (e.g. Pastell Orange) and want to have a matching deviating stitching (e.g. orange) in the interior. So rather than give partial or erroneous information on this forum, I have been waiting patiently to hear back from Sascha Glaeser after he returns from vacation in Germany so that I get all of this 'right' before disseminating the information."

Sascha has in fact returned from his vacation and gotten in touch indirectly via Melissa Witek. They answered very few of the questions I had posed to them. When I emailed Sascha directly and asked him to please answer all the questions so that I could inform the forum of current options and availability, something he had agreed to do before he went on vacation, he emailed me back saying that they are too busy to be able spend the time in responding to my simple requests to clarify parts of their program on options.

Thus, I rather stop any further contribution to this thread. I have tried very hard to provide accurate and verifiable information about the inner workings of the 'Porsche Exclusive' program. But with all the changes they have instituted for the new 991/981 programs, I need them to cooperate fully so that this and other forums get the most updated and actionable information.

In the two months since I started posting on this subject in 6speed, Rennlist and Teamspeed, these threads have received over 20,000 views! I am honored that so many of you found it of interest and perhaps of some value. I thank also all that contributing to it by posting and adding your insights. I wish you all my very best.

If anyone has any questions about any particulars of 'Porsche Exclusive', please direct them to Sascha Glaeser or Melissa Witek at:

E-Mail: CustomerConsultations@porsche.us

or to 'Porsche Exclusive' in Zuffenhausen.

It is, after all, their job for which they are well compensated for what they do!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado

I have ordered a new 981 Boxster S and have been advised that it is slated for a November build.

Porsche's here in Australia are significantly more expensive than in the US so I want to make sure that mine, with the colours / options I have selected are a perfect match. ($232,000)

I have selected all of the Leather options available (Except the seat belt buckles could not justify $1200 for this).

The colour is Lime Gold with bicolour interior Agate Grey / Lime Gold with the full mahogany timber package.

I particularly like the decorative stitching of the lime gold thread in the Agate grey on the upper doors, dash joins and instrument cluster cover.

I have ordered the Steering Column casing in leather option and it displays with a lighter coloured stitching but not lime gold in the car configurator.

My assumption was that the Configurator shows it generically but this would be done in the correct colour when the car was built at the factory.

I wanted to make sure that all the decorative stitching was consistent and in the same colour.

Other areas that have the decorative stitching in my configuration are the defroster section in the extended dash option and the dash end trims.

I asked my dealer to contact the factory and ask how we could ensure that all the stitching is colour matched.

The response I received was that the Car Configurator incorrectly shows the decorative stitching in the lime gold colour and is in fact a colour match to the Agate Grey.

Obviously they need to "Think Again" given you have posted photographs of the "Real" car in Agate Grey / Amber Orange in this thread that shows the decorate stitching in the Amber Orange colour.

I will be sending a copy of those photographs to them and asking them why they are giving me obviously incorrect advice.

Do you have any advice on a process / communication with Porsche that would ensure that my car is built in matching thread colours?

Again thank you for your efforts in these posts in informing us about options and issues in ordering.

Cheers Brian

My Spec if interested is below.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PDB7QSI1
Brian:

Here is what I think will happen with your order if it gets to be build under the current rules of engagement:

a) Leather interior package in two-tone combination (Opt. 970) will have deviating stitching in 'Lime Gold' in the same places (dash and top trim of the doors) as you saw on the 'Agate/Amber Orange' 981 which photo is attached below. Note that this vehicle doesn't have the other options your build will have!

b) Rear View Mirror in Leather (CVW) I don't believe has any decorative stitching, regardless that it says that in the configurator. I ordered it on my 987 '12 Spyder and it didn't have any stitching at all. Nicely covered in leather though. This is important in a 'Carrera Red' or 'Luxor Beige' interior, where you want the mirror casing to match the A pillars or perhaps sunvisors (if they allow these to be done in leather to match). But in your case, the Agate covered mirror casing will look very close to the standard black mirror case that is 'standard' and N/C. So think hard about that one.

c) The only other options you have ordered that have decorative stitching are: Steering column casing leather (XNS), Fuse box cover leather (CUJ), Air vent slats leather (CZV), Extended interior package door panel in leather (CXM), Extended interior package dashboard trim in leather (CZW). On these, if the current rules are still in place, you will NOT be able to have them with 'Lime Gold' deviating stitching. The reason for that is that 'Porsche Exclusive' has not worked out that deviating possibility yet with the subcontractors. As I posted in an earlier post "At the present time, these options are NOT permitted to be done with any deviating stitching, apparently because they have supply bottlenecks and need to simplify production for their hard-pressed vendors." If that is what your dealer is telling you regarding these additional leather options (they will not get 'Lime Gold' stitching), then they are correct!

Nevertheless, I do think that all of these dash leather options will look great in your built EVEN if they only come with standard stitching in 'Agate', instead of deviating 'Lime Gold'. But you will have to decide if they are worth the price if you are not going to get the deviating stitching you wanted and expected to see on your dash!

d) You don't have any deviating stitching on PCM package leather (CUR), Lid of storage bin with Porsche crest (XPT), Instrument surround leather (XNG), Porsche crest embossed on head restraints (XSC), so you also don't have to worry about these options.

Brian, you have decided to do a very interesting and daring color combination on your 981S. Like in Australia, PCNA has just allowed us to order 'Agate/Lime Gold' as full leather interior here in North America. Previously, they only allowed us to do this combination in 'Partial Leather' which gives the interior a completely different look (more Agate than Lime Gold!). See second photo below.

Best of luck with your order. Post photos when you get it.

Saludos,
Eduardo

Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Smile

Thanks again Eduardo, for going through my configuration and doing the analysis.

I think I can sort this out with the dealer now. Their communication with me was confusing and suggested that there would be no deviated stitching at all, but I think we have that sorted out now.

I tried to get the Carrera Option of the Adaptive Sports seats back in Leather two toned in Lime Gold fronts with Agate Grey backs (with deviated lime gold stitching) included and it was part of the same request to the factory. Hence the confusing response I got back from them.

Hopefully the colour scheme will all work out. I will get the basic deviated stitching I wanted and the other stitching will not look out of place.

Regardless it should come out as quite a unique vehicle.

I will start a new thread and post pictures once she arrives, I can't wait.

It is disappointing to see the lack of support you are now getting from Porsche Exclusive and I understand why you don't want to continue trying to persist with your updates.

Hopefully they will realise that it is in their own best interests to provide assistance to people like yourself who help disseminate information about additional value of the Porsche Exclusive range of options.

Only time will tell I guess. Good luck and thanks again.

Cheers Brian

Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 AM
Eduardo,

As promised the Pictures.

My Chartreuse (yes I have been following your colour posts) aka Lime Gold Boxster has arrived.

It looks like if you order the bicolour interior and add the extended dash option all the stitching including the extensions are done deviated. Sweet.

I ended up going back and updating my options list to include everything except the PCCBs. The TV is cute.

Cheers Brian

Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Gorgeous car mate

Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by TurboDogue
Gorgeous car mate
Thank you it was a long wait but well worth it. Do you have your PTS Riviera Blue yet. I did not see a picture of it in this thread?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 PM
PIcs

Yes, here is a pic, there are more in my profile albums.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Riv BLue 981S.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	234887  
Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 PM
PorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to behold

Beautiful car!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 AM
That is a nice shade of Blue. I think next time PTS is the way to go for me.

Love those side decals.

Cheers

Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 AM
I've said this before (I think), but it's beautiful beautiful beautiiiful.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Love those side decals.

Cheers
You can get the same (or whatever you desire) from Kyle.

kistudios.com

No affiliation other than a satisfied customer on a prior car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!