Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Squeaks When Down, Not Up. Experience Anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM
jborchel is infamous around these parts
Top Squeaks When Down, Not Up. Experience Anyone?

Has this happened to anyone? If I hit a bump with the top down I can hear a little squeak. Just enough to be really irritating. Doesn't happen with the top up. Also, it seems to go away after the car is driven for awhile. Maybe engine heat build-up affects it. I don't know. Searching for straws and hoping someone on this forum had this happen and was able to resolve the squeak.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:46 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
I don't have a solution but do have a suggestion.

If you go to the dealer, they usually have TSB's and general complaints with fixes for most stuff like that. I know with Mini's, if you go to the dealership, they have a book with problems and fixes for about every squeak and rattle.

Being in the body shop business, my only suggestion is for you to have someone drive while you lean over the seat and try to find it. Most times, it's nothing more than an adjustment to keep something tighter or more pressure on it.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 AM
NickS is infamous around these parts
I agree with Mark and would add that it might be that the hinge points on the top needs some lube.

I'd guess that the hinge points are probably sticking a bit and when the top is folded, it makes a few of those hinge points squeek. Then once the heat from the engine works its way into the metal frame, it losens up and the squeek goes away.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 AM
jborchel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NickS
I agree with Mark and would add that it might be that the hinge points on the top needs some lube.

I'd guess that the hinge points are probably sticking a bit and when the top is folded, it makes a few of those hinge points squeek. Then once the heat from the engine works its way into the metal frame, it losens up and the squeek goes away.
What product would I buy for lubing?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
You'd want something more in the line with a gel (for lack of better description) If you get something like WD40, it will drip and run out leaving you with no lubrication and if you get something like white grease, it probably won't get into the exact spot you need and therefore just "sit there". (of course, anything is better than nothing)

You're going to need something of a gel'ish type of grease... much like chain lube on a motorcycle where the viscosity is thin enough to do the lube you need but thick enough it won't drip off.

Sorry I can't give you an exact name but most of the stuff we use here in the shop is Wurth products for that kind of stuff.

I was just giving you an example so if you go into your local NAPA or parts store, you at least can describe what you need, viscosity-wise.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 AM
NickS is infamous around these parts
Here's a good video on the subject.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jborchel
Has this happened to anyone? If I hit a bump with the top down I can hear a little squeak. Just enough to be really irritating. Doesn't happen with the top up.
Best to ask your dealer. Apparently someone who ordered a 981 had his delivery delayed because the dealer had to fix an apparent convertible top issue. Yet to see a TSB myself but that's what was said.